Why does the Silver Mage use fire?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Why does the Silver Mage use fire?

Post by Aethaeryn »

ilor wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:The elves use faerie magic. No human will ever be able to understand that arcane form of magic.
Until, of course, the plot requires it ;)
Of course. As soon as a new mainline campaign contradicts me, I'll adjust my arguments to support it and pretend like this conversation never happened. ;)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Aethaeryn wrote:Of course. As soon as a new mainline campaign contradicts me, I'll adjust my arguments to support it and pretend like this conversation never happened. ;)
Ahh, but no. You have backing for your argument:
Elvish Enchantress description wrote:The magic of the elves is wholly unlike that of humanity, so much so that humans are almost universally incapable of understanding it, let alone using it.
The_great_new_thing

Post by The_great_new_thing »

I agree with the above post. Faerie fire is arcane, for an unknown reason, and seeing that humans cannot understand it, its pointless arguing.
Also, I think silver magi should keep their "fire" damage, but the term "fire" should be changed to "heat". Fireballs, lightning, blah blah blah are all a form of HEAT, not FIRE :eng: . I hope you get my point.
"I say hello to the poodle, you say hello to the poodle."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Fire sounds cooler.
The_great_new_thing

Fire is inaccurate.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

So? It's cooler. Besides, i could stretch it and say lightning bolts set units on fire.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Should be changed to laser.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

But white mages already use laser?
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

The_great_new_thing wrote:Faerie fire is arcane, for an unknown reason, and seeing that humans cannot understand it, its pointless arguing.
The problem is that some human units have arcane attacks.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

lotsofphil wrote:
The_great_new_thing wrote:Faerie fire is arcane, for an unknown reason, and seeing that humans cannot understand it, its pointless arguing.
The problem is that some human units have arcane attacks.
Yeah, Lightbeams. Lightbeams are different from Faerie Fire. They take more time to cast than a Faerie Fire burst(3 strikes for LB vs. 4-5 strikes for FF) and do somewhat more damage per strike for an equivalent caster level. Faerie Fire also manifests as a white glowy ball of something, while Lightbeams manifests as pillars of light(duh!).

Basically, Elvish Arcane magic is derived from the Faerie world, which humans cannot understand, while Human Arcane magic is derived from adherence to the path of light and good ideals(see Paladin and Mage of Light descriptions). Different sources, different ends.
The_great_new_thing

Blarumyrran wrote:So? It's cooler. Besides, i could stretch it and say lightning bolts set units on fire.
You do know that's a pun, right?? :P

And you are not supposed to 'stretch it'. Heat is the accurate description. What's fire? A form of heat, of course.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Skrim wrote: Yeah, Lightbeams. Lightbeams are different from Faerie Fire. They take more time to cast than a Faerie Fire burst(3 strikes for LB vs. 4-5 strikes for FF) and do somewhat more damage per strike for an equivalent caster level. Faerie Fire also manifests as a white glowy ball of something, while Lightbeams manifests as pillars of light(duh!).

Basically, Elvish Arcane magic is derived from the Faerie world, which humans cannot understand, while Human Arcane magic is derived from adherence to the path of light and good ideals(see Paladin and Mage of Light descriptions). Different sources, different ends.
The Dark Adept line uses arcane attacks too. I guess that is !(adherence to the path of light and good ideals), so it is covered too? :)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

The_great_new_thing wrote:You do know that's a pun, right?? :P
No, frankly i thought you were taking that "heat" thing seriously, good to know it was just a pun that i didnt understand :) .
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

lotsofphil wrote:
Skrim wrote: Yeah, Lightbeams. Lightbeams are different from Faerie Fire. They take more time to cast than a Faerie Fire burst(3 strikes for LB vs. 4-5 strikes for FF) and do somewhat more damage per strike for an equivalent caster level. Faerie Fire also manifests as a white glowy ball of something, while Lightbeams manifests as pillars of light(duh!).

The Dark Adept line uses arcane attacks too. I guess that is !(adherence to the path of light and good ideals), so it is covered too? :)
More like being able to take out of existence their own creations, the most weak to arcane. Almost any other time, their cold attack would do more damage and thus would be used. Yes, Dark Magic in Wesnoth knows Counter-Dark Magic, and for a good reason. You wouldn't want rogue skeletons killing you and all.

Add this third source of arcane to Skrim's description and you're set.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

The_great_new_thing wrote:And you are not supposed to 'stretch it'. Heat is the accurate description. What's fire? A form of heat, of course.
Ouch. That's so inaccurate it hurts. Fire is a chemical reaction which happens to give off heat as a byproduct. Calling fire a form of heat is about as accurate as calling respiration a form of carbon dioxide.