Can't Get Back to Main Menu

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DoctorJ

Can't Get Back to Main Menu

Post by DoctorJ »

I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug as such, or a conscious decision on the part of the devs. I recently upgraded to 1.6.4 [official Mac binary] from 1.4.7 [also official Mac binary] and am puzzled by a change in the handling of the in-scenario 'quit' menu item. Let me clarify that there is an actual menu button in the scenario UI that provides a drop-down menu. At least on a Mac there is also the desktop menu bar that provides official system level menus for BfW.

Now to my point: the two sets of menus are different. The menu button provides functions that are useful in the middle of battle [Scenario Objectives, for one]. The menu bar provides higher level functions [About Wesnoth, for one]. However, both sets of menus include a 'quit' item. The menu button's "Quit Game" item has historically quit the scenario and sent the user back to the main menu, while the menu bar's "Quit Wesnoth" item immediately terminates execution of the program. The change is that in 1.6.4 the menu button "Quit Game" item now also terminates the program. The only way to get back to the main menu appears to be to quit and restart? Confusingly, the two quit menu items have different hotkeys - it implies they should act differently, no?

I did scan the 'player changelog' from 1.4 to present and didn't notice anything relating to this. Just to be totally clear, i do prefer the previous behavior [make that *strongly* prefer]. :(
penguin
macOS Packager

Re: Can't Get Back to Main Menu

Post by penguin »

The problem is actually just that the Mac "Close" menu item also has the cmd+w hotkey, and it acts the same as the Mac "Quit" menu item. You should be able to either press esc or go to the actual (Wesnoth) menu and click Quit to get the behavior you want.

In the next release, I'll remove cmd+w from the Mac menu item, and it should all be good again.
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

Okeh, thanks! Just as a friendly suggestion, how about cmd+w for program termination [it DOES close the window] and cmd+q? That way, they would be different and would end the question as to which operation takes place upon entering the hotkey.

Speaking of hotkeys, can i also ask to have cmd+p back to invoke preferences? I'm sorry, but cmd-comma is unintuitive and not easy to remember.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well I'm basically following the Mac conventions. I think cmd+q is always used for a higher level program termination, while cmd+w is always used for "closing" something. So I think cmd+w is more intuitive... I certainly couldn't name 1 app where cmd+w would quit it, but cmd+q wouldn't (and it had both), while just about all Mac apps have it the other way around.

Again, Mac conventions dictate that cmd+comma is for Preferences (basically every app that has preferences uses cmd+comma), and cmd+p is for print. So from the perspective of a Mac user, cmd+p is just really weird.

You can feel free to change it yourself though; you can actually customize ALL of these shortcuts, even the Mac menu hotkeys. The Wesnoth ones are in the Wesnoth preferences, and for the Mac ones, go into System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. If you add one that's already there, for Wesnoth, it'll override it.
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

Alright.