How do I add a unit to the game?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

Re: How do I add a unit to the game?

Post by Helmet »

Turuk wrote:Oh I see, so this way you can be right regardless. Bully for you.
I was trying to be witty.

By failing to grasp my humor, you have reduced my Merriment Level by one increment--and it wasn't that high to begin with.

*sigh*

I am now teetering on the edge of hebetude.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I was in return, sarcasm does not translate well over the internet to you.

By failing to grasp my humor, you have condemned me to an evening of self-aggrandizement in order to rebuild my ego.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

There. I hope I am correct in assuming that three ego-boosting emoticons were sufficient to rebuild your ego.

Although I detected little humor in your post, I felt the forum should be spared the threat of reading any of your self-aggrandizing comments.

If three emoticons were insufficient, I can post one more :lol2: and perhaps a few :D .
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Helmet wrote:Although I detected little humor in your post, I felt the forum should be spared the threat of reading any of your self-aggrandizing comments.
Well, the whole point of self-aggrandizing comments is that I am making them to myself, and so they would not have been posted here anyways.

You might want to get your humor detector checked out. The sarcasm setting must be off.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Prompted by your concern, I had my Humor Detector checked out by my neighbor, who is a registered nurse.

Evidently my Humor Detector is broken! According to her, I am only able to find three things funny: knock-knock jokes, the sound of gas being passed and the word "poop."

That sounds about right, unfortunately. :(

Thanks for bringing the matter to my attention. I look forward to visiting this thread after my Humor Detector is repaired, at which point I am sure I will be laughing and rolling on the floor at your hilarious sarcasm.
Author of:
archmage101

Post by archmage101 »

Wow! I got 19 replies real fast. And sorry I didn't post more information, to let you know I'm not trying to make an official modification, just trying to make a hero unit.
I'm attempting to copy a unit, modify the WML and see if I can add it to the game in debug mode. I've been scrounging around, but I can't see to make it work.

I play a game Glest, it's an RTS game with 3D graphics, which I think would be nice to add to this game(I know, I know, it would take a while and probably be difficult, besides you need 3D artists, I have some expierience with Blender but I'm awful at converting to other extensions), also I'm on the Glest board, I'm also Archmage101 on those boards too.

Could someone please tell me how I can add a copied and modified unit to my copy of the game, and make it so that I can add it into the create unit list in debug mode so I can add it in any scenario, without editing the campaign files(or at least not to much.

Evidently my Humor Detector is broken! According to her, I am only able to find three things funny: knock-knock jokes, the sound of gas being passed and the word "poop."
Knock-knock jokes :)
passing gas :roll: :shock: :lol2:
poop :? :annoyed:
you need to get that humor detector of yours back in gear, 1/3 of those things are funny :P (well, at least enough to make me laugh, but not poop :augh: )
enough childs talk

anyway... :roll:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

you could just make the unit, put it in a unit folder in the addon, then add the appropriate paths to the _main.cfg
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

archmage101 wrote:Wow! I got 19 replies real fast.
You lucky... XD
19 replies of pure doubt, though, that was funny enough to watch. :lol2:

You should really read some tutorials though... there are lots of these around here, just do a little research.
However, I'm feeling generous, so... here are the links:
How to build/modify factions
A quick guide on what the heck is WML, and its mysteries
How to use the WML to create units

Hope it is useful. See ya :wink:
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

archmage101 wrote:I'm attempting to copy a unit, modify the WML...
Gah! I was wrong and Turuk was right.
Author of:
archmage101

Post by archmage101 »

Thanks for these replies
OT: Nice Zelda picture
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Shoulda bet money ;)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Helmet wrote:
Turuk's usually right. It's why I usually agree with him ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Helmet wrote:
We were all wrong… In our defense though, the thread's title was a bit misleading…
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Helmet wrote:Gah! I was wrong and Turuk was right.
I have been around long enough and dealt with enough new players that I have a sense for these things.
Gambit wrote:Shoulda bet money
Betting on me will never steer you wrong...
thespaceinvader wrote:Turuk's usually right. It's why I usually agree with him
A smart man. :P
Kalajel wrote:We were all wrong… In our defense though, the thread's title was a bit misleading…
Not at all. By game, he meant the bit that he downloaded and currently plays with, and how would he go about adding a unit into that game that he made, which makes sense, given that we advocate WML to make your own content. If he had said "How do I add a unit in the game?" that would have been more of a tossup.
archmage101 wrote:I play a game Glest, it's an RTS game with 3D graphics, which I think would be nice to add to this game(I know, I know, it would take a while and probably be difficult, besides you need 3D artists, I have some expierience with Blender but I'm awful at converting to other extensions), also I'm on the Glest board, I'm also Archmage101 on those boards too.
Interesting, I've seen that a few times before but have to admit to never really trying it out. I'll have to give it a go.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

IMHO Glest is comparable to the wii or a pet fish. If you've never played it before you'll get it out of curiosity. You'll play it for a month or so (maybe not even). And by that time you'll have done everything there is to do. When you've had one pet fish, you've had em all.