iPhone port started!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zarel

Re: iPhone port started!

Post by Zarel »

Sapient wrote:I remember a previous discussion when someone was distributing Wesnoth CDs through ebay for a small fee. There's nothing illegal (or immoral for that matter) about it.
It's not really the same thing. Distributing Wesnoth CDs through eBay is fine, since others can still easily download directly from Wesnoth.org.

Short of getting yourself an iPhone development kit, there'd be no way to play the iPhone version without paying for it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that it's not the same thing at all.)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I mean, of all the apps possible to buy on the iPhone's store, Wesnoth is EASILY worth $1-5. Any more would be pushing it,

Everyone is ALSO forgetting that aside from a good and expensive note-book PC, the iPhone/iPod Touch version will be portable, and even then, far more portable than any laptop or netbook.

And, as people said, he did this, as the whole dev team for Wesnoth, for no actual pay, so it comes to:

Cough up $1-5 for a good game (provided the game IS $1-5, any more and I say REVOLT D:<)

or go along and develop your own version of Wesnoth for the iPhone.

Also, if this goes through, it'll get the name out there, random people all over the world will see how great the game is, who've never looked into it.

((Please note, I have the tail end of a cold, so I'm not in my best of thinking moods, so any false info, etc. is due to that.))
The_great_new_thing

Post by The_great_new_thing »

Everyone is ALSO forgetting that aside from a good and expensive note-book PC, the iPhone/iPod Touch version will be portable, and even then, far more portable than any laptop or netbook.
Dude, are you OKAY?! If we had "forgotten" that this version of Wesnoth would be portable, we wouldn't be willing to pay for it. Jeez!
"I say hello to the poodle, you say hello to the poodle."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I see no difference between $1 and free. Even the poorest people could afford to pay $1 for a quality application, and it would only add $1 to their phone bill that month. And having it be $1 means the multiplayer server could possibly handle the massive increase in players. At this point, it's either charge a minimal amount of money (and handle the increase of players) or don't bother, imo.

Basically: if you don't have the money to buy Wesnoth for the iPhone in the $1-5 range, how the hell did you buy a $199-299 phone?

Personally, I'd be willing to pay up to $20 for the PC version of Wesnoth. A few dollars for a phone version isn't bad at all.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

The_great_new_thing wrote:
Dude, are you OKAY?! If we had "forgotten" that this version of Wesnoth would be portable, we wouldn't be willing to pay for it. Jeez!

"((Please note, I have the tail end of a cold, so I'm not in my best of thinking moods, so any false info, etc. is due to that.))"
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

One question (not that it matters to me as a non-iphone user, but anyway): does buying the app allow you access to subsequent versions for free? It strikes me that, with a game that updates as frequently as Wesnoth, making people buy a new version for every release would be a little unfair. After all, we've been averaging two releases per month since 1.6...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

thespaceinvader wrote:One question (not that it matters to me as a non-iphone user, but anyway): does buying the app allow you access to subsequent versions for free? It strikes me that, with a game that updates as frequently as Wesnoth, making people buy a new version for every release would be a little unfair. After all, we've been averaging two releases per month since 1.6...
Yeah, updates can be downloaded for free. Let me put it this way, AFAICT, you can't charge for a update, only for a new app.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Zarel wrote:Distributing Wesnoth CDs through eBay is fine, since others can still easily download directly from Wesnoth.org.
I think you meant to say "sourceforge," but that's not true; some people may have a dial-up connection that makes it too slow (or expensive) to download.
Zarel wrote: Short of getting yourself an iPhone development kit, there'd be no way to play the iPhone version without paying for it.
If you have to buy the official iPhone development kit to load software onto your own iPhone, then I'd say that is a problem with the iPhone. Likewise, if I had to pay Dell so that I can compile and run my own programs on my laptop, I would only be able to blame Dell for that situation.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
The_great_new_thing

Post by The_great_new_thing »

Dokkal wrote:
The_great_new_thing wrote: Dude, are you OKAY?! If we had "forgotten" that this version of Wesnoth would be portable, we wouldn't be willing to pay for it. Jeez!

"((Please note, I have the tail end of a cold, so I'm not in my best of thinking moods, so any false info, etc. is due to that.))"
Ah, I know how you feel, I was blabbering something about about getting killed by worms and barbecued by cows when I had a cold. Get well soon :) .
"I say hello to the poodle, you say hello to the poodle."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ken_Oh wrote:Yeah, updates can be downloaded for free. Let me put it this way, AFAICT, you can't charge for a update, only for a new app.
I'm not certain if that is strictly the case - whenever I download an update on the iPhone, I do so by tapping a button that says "free", much as if I were downloading a free app. Nevertheless, I've never seen an update that costs money, and I've updated paid apps a couple of times.

Perhaps this discussion of paying for the iPhone version of Wesnoth should be carved off into a new topic, so that this one can remain focused on discussion of progress on the port?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Sapient wrote:
Zarel wrote: Short of getting yourself an iPhone development kit, there'd be no way to play the iPhone version without paying for it.
If you have to buy the official iPhone development kit to load software onto your own iPhone, then I'd say that is a problem with the iPhone. Likewise, if I had to pay Dell so that I can compile and run my own programs on my laptop, I would only be able to blame Dell for that situation.
Exactly. The problem is the (propietary) platform.

It's in the best interest of Apple to cripple their Iphone/Ipod Touch user's ability to customize the software on their device in order to make the store a necesity, rather than an option.

I personally will wait for the mobile platform that offers the same freedom of use as a computer. And even better if it is NOT a phone, celular providers will quickly block any freedom that the platform offers for their own agendas.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

To use the development tools you need:
If you want to release an app to the store then you need to join the iPhone Developer Program.

You could build an app without being in the iPhone Developer Program.

The process of building apps for the iPhone using the development tools, which requires a Mac, isn't all that different from building games for other mobile devices or gaming consoles, which have their own software and own hardware requirements.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

Zarel wrote:
Sapient wrote:I remember a previous discussion when someone was distributing Wesnoth CDs through ebay for a small fee. There's nothing illegal (or immoral for that matter) about it.
It's not really the same thing. Distributing Wesnoth CDs through eBay is fine, since others can still easily download directly from Wesnoth.org.

Short of getting yourself an iPhone development kit, there'd be no way to play the iPhone version without paying for it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that it's not the same thing at all.)

Short of getting yourself an iPhone development kit, there'd be no legal way to play the iPhone version without paying for it.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Unless someone offers the app for free, which, as I understand it, is possible, and perfectly permissible under the GPL, if a little underhanded.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

thespaceinvader wrote:Unless someone offers the app for free, which, as I understand it, is possible, and perfectly permissible under the GPL, if a little underhanded.

So if someone were to -cough- Crack it, it would not be illegal?