iPhone port started!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Re: iPhone port started!

Post by KylePoole »

For beta testing, you just give your unique device id to the iPhone developer. They can then digitally sign the app so it will only work on a set number of devices (called "Ad-Hoc Distribution"). Then you just get the file from email or a web link somewhere, and drag it to iTunes and away you go...
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

ancestral wrote:
JemDaddyO wrote:I know we're a ways off but how does a demo or test of an iPhone app work exactly? I have known of other app devs who have used a body of beta testers, but never found out how they did it without loading the app on iTunes for all to see.
The app development toolkit includes a simulator on the computer.
So....to be a beta tester, you need to have a Mac and have purchased the dev kit? I thought there was a way for non-dev owners to participate.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this link: http://furbo.org/2008/08/06/beta-testing-on-iphone-20/

EDIT: Sorry Kyle, I didn't see your post (I guess because it was on the next page) before I responded above. Looking forward to it.
nazgul42

Post by nazgul42 »

If you do need beta testers, I could help you out there.
sero

Post by sero »

I would be glad to help beta-testing to 8)

While I started playing Wesnoth on my Mac again (I must say the game improved a lot in the last 12 month, particularly the artwork) I made a lot of use of the "d" shortcut, that shows all the infos from the manual for the selected unit. This is very helpful for novice wesnoth players that do not know all the stats by heart. Would it be possible to implement something similar on the iPhone port? I could imagine double-tapping the unit portrait on the right sidebar would be a good replacement for the "d" shortcut.

Keep up the great work !
sero
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

Hey, I've not played Battle for Wesnoth a lot, but I find it to be an amazing game, and am really excited to see it come to the iPhone/iPod Touch, and like the many above me, I am interested in Beta Testing the port, though am not sure how that would work.

Anyway, if someone could contact me via PM or even MSN regarding this, that would be awesome.
Max

Post by Max »

KylePoole has described how beta testing works just some posts above yours...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Will you make a separate thread when it's ready for beta tester volunteers?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Aethaeryn wrote:Will you make a separate thread when it's ready for beta tester volunteers?
Yep, I'll make a separate thread with big flashing lights and CLICK HERE TO BETA TEST IPHONE! :eng: I'm planning to start the beta phase in about a week...
Dokkal

Post by Dokkal »

KylePoole wrote: Yep, I'll make a separate thread with big flashing lights and CLICK HERE TO BETA TEST IPHONE! :eng: I'm planning to start the beta phase in about a week...

Oh! And a big red button too? Please big red button! :D
Censorship

Post by Censorship »

Which section will the thread be in for us to apply?
Wow it's been a long time since I was back here on the BFW forum....04 I think.
adibis

Post by adibis »

So... When is the beta testing going to start? Been playing wesnoth for almost 2+ years now and yet I only registered on the forum when I read this thread and saw the video... wow...
Aditya Shevade (www.adityashevade.com)
Wesnoth player since 1.4
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Video? Did I miss a video? What video?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

JemDaddyO wrote:Video? Did I miss a video? What video?
Search function? Did I miss a search function? What search function? :wink:
That will link you to iPhone gameplay video, a thread by KylePoole - because "a video is worth 1000 pictures".
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Because the most obvious option for me is always the one I will overlook. Just ask my wife. :P

I thought I had been trolling the User forum regularly enough that I wouldn't have missed that whole thread but oh well. I guess I better go use this magical Search feature you speak of to see if a beta has been released already, under my nose.
Censorship

Post by Censorship »

JemDaddyO wrote:Because the most obvious option for me is always the one I will overlook. Just ask my wife. :P

I thought I had been trolling the User forum regularly enough that I wouldn't have missed that whole thread but oh well. I guess I better go use this magical Search feature you speak of to see if a beta has been released already, under my nose.
You mean lurking right? trolls are terminal illness of the internet
Wow it's been a long time since I was back here on the BFW forum....04 I think.