clean-wesnoth: cleaned up images in wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Viliam
Translator

Re: clean-wesnoth: cleaned up images in wesnoth

Post by Viliam »

Another example that you cannot make everyone happy. And also another example that with free software you can at least make more people happy. :wink:

Bwv549, I disagree with your suggestions to change Wesnoth images, but I also admire the way you solved the problem. The official game will not change, so providing a patch is the second best solution for your needs. (Making new installation files would do the same thing; a bit more convenient for end user, but much more work for you.) If some other player will express similar concerns, we can give them a link to your website.

If there are more players with similar concerns, and you would volunteer to provide them support, perhaps you could make a new project on SourceForge. (Because "clean" seems somehow offensive for some of us, and "bowdlerised" could be offensive to you, perhaps "wesnoth-kid-friendly" could be a nice neutral name.) Instead of current version number 0.0.2, I suggest to use the same version number as the Wesnoth version your patch is fixing, that is "wesnoth-kid-friendly 1.6.1" as a patch for "wesnoth 1.6.1". I guess it would be enough to support the stable version, which is published approximately once in a year. (I think the minor stable versions usually do not change pictures.)

By the way, the players of modified version will still be able to download content from the campaign server; perhaps you have objections about some pictures there too. But I would suggest just ignoring it... simply because it would be too much work; and if you allow kids to use internet, there are million other things they could see there.

Despite I disagree with this whole idea, I like it as an experiment. It shows the possibilities of free software. And I would really like to know the number of users that will download and install your patch. (Honestly I think not much, maybe nobody. But the results could also be surprising.)
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Is there someplace I can look at the "non-kid-friendly" images? None of the Portraits in the Wesnoth folder are racy. The Shyde is quite covered up actually.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

yeah. Its called, standard, normal wesnoth.

IMHO (I finally learned what that means :D) if anyone is attracted in any way to the tiny 72x72 sprites then their problems are well beyond the scope of this game... I mean seriously?
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Is it only the little units that are the problem? Where is this "Lisar with legs spread" image? I can't find it in the HTTT folder.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

-is creeped out- :o

that'd be the uh... the sprite... :shock:
you're giving people the wrong idea here AThousand :?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

AThousandYoung wrote:Is it only the little units that are the problem? Where is this "Lisar with legs spread" image? I can't find it in the HTTT folder.
That'd be data/campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/images/units/human-battleprincess.png I believe. So hawt.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Baufo wrote:
AThousandYoung wrote:Is it only the little units that are the problem? Where is this "Lisar with legs spread" image? I can't find it in the HTTT folder.
That'd be data/campaigns/Heir_To_The_Throne/images/units/human-battleprincess.png I believe. So hawt.
You mean her combat stance?! I don't see ANY of those as even slightly provocative. Wide combat stances are sometimes necessary! She has a skirt or something covering her...

This guy thinks those need to be censored? :D
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Gambit wrote:-is creeped out- :o

that'd be the uh... the sprite... :shock:
you're giving people the wrong idea here AThousand :?
What ideas are you having about the sprites that creeps you out? You're creeping me out now...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Again, this is going nowhere.

Once more, it's soft-locked. Next reply that's not adding something useful to the topic. It gets completely locked.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TSI is being patient and nice, but no one seems to respect that. Nothing posted after the soft-lock had anything constructive to say with regards to the OP, just more running commentary.

Deleted all following irrelevance and...

Locked.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time