Wesnoth Downloads

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

darksteel

Post by darksteel »

When does version 8.2 come out for mac :cry:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Darksteel, patience is a virtue. I expect it will be at least a few days until Sithrandel, or scott or someone else makes a mac binary.
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

WHY IS VERSION 8.2 OUT FOR WINDOWS AND NOT FOR MAC :evil: :evil: :evil:
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: help
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Darksteel, please chill out.

No need to yell or pout. We mac users are very very lucky that certain people take the time and effort to port this game to the mac. However there are only a few people who have the skill to build the mac binary, and so it often takes them a few days to create a mac version of each update.

The main developers just release the Linux version. Dave ports it to Windows on his own time. Other forum members port the mac version, but sometimes it takes them a few days to do so. I know you want to play 0.8.2, but for now enjoy 0.8.1, and try to be patient. This has been discussed many times in the past.
scott

Post by scott »

I compiled 0.8.2 for mac, I'm FTPing it right now to
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/

It should be ready for download in about 15 minutes

Some guy IMed me with problems. If anyone has trouble they can let me know. I am compiling the editor right now; maybe I'll make a package with updated instructions on how to install the SDL libraries... so people like Darksteel can try their hands and compiling themselves. The only reason I learned how is because 0.8.1 wasn't coming out as an official mac release.

Really, no mac user has an excuse to not compile - XCode makes compiling so easy. Getting the libraries all set up was the hardest part, so I might expand on Sithrandel's guide a little.

Come on! We're mac users - you need to get gellin'
Windows people - definitely not gellin'
miyo

Post by miyo »

darksteel wrote:WHY IS VERSION 8.2 OUT FOR WINDOWS AND NOT FOR MAC
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=mac
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=mac

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

scott,

maybe you could put URL to your package to http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothBinaries - it is Wiki so anyone can edit the content.

- Miyo
cedric

Post by cedric »

quartex wrote:The main developers just release the Linux version.
:?:

What do sources have to do with Linux?

--
Cedric
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

cedric wrote:

--
Cedric
Whoops, my mistake. I don't pay attention to who does the linux binary package normally. You're right that the devs just release the source code, and then certain people package it for various systems. It just happens that the Linux and Windows packagers are often faster than the people working on OS X.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

cedric wrote:

Well, technically nothing, but realistically, GNU/Linux is the best-known operating system that relies heavily on having a C/C++ compiler commonly packaged with it, so association between source code and GNU/Linux is inevitable.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
themroc

Post by themroc »

scott wrote:I compiled 0.8.2 for mac, I'm FTPing it right now to
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/

It should be ready for download in about 15 minutes
thank you
scott wrote:Really, no mac user has an excuse to not compile - XCode makes compiling so easy. Getting the libraries all set up was the hardest part, so I might expand on Sithrandel's guide a little.
I have an excuse, i tried many times, to compile wesnoth, but when i try on x11 and terminal i got only a error. And sithrandels guide didnt work either for me. :(
scott wrote:Come on! We're mac users - you need to get gellin'
Windows people - definitely not gellin'

Yes i know, but i cant help

cya
themroc
Fulk d'Anjou

Mac OS X Binary

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

This is Fulk d'Anjou, who is barely computer literate much less a programmer. Let me enquire:

Is it not true that the binary referenced above is not ver. 8.2?

Is it not true that one who is adept may download the version 8.2 source code and "compile" it on a Mac running OS X?

My third query: can an unlearned one like me learn to do this without risk to my computer?
And if so where are directions for such a task?

Go with Hex!
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Mac OS X Binary

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Fulk d'Anjou wrote:Is it not true that the binary referenced above is not ver. 8.2?

Is it not true that one who is adept may download the version 8.2 source code and "compile" it on a Mac running OS X?
Neither of these are not true. ;)
My third query: can an unlearned one like me learn to do this without risk to my computer?
And if so where are directions for such a task?
Yes, and I have no idea.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

There's a link to a copy of 0.8.2 for the mac available in the development versions & testing forum. If you really want to try to compile Wesnoth on your mac, check out Sithrandel's guide posted at the top of the developer discussions forum. But I warn you, it's not a simple thing to do. I'd only try it if you have a decent knowledge of programming and UNIX.