"Lethal Joke" faction or units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

"Lethal Joke" faction or units

Post by Glowing Fish »

In a previous discussion (one that I don't want to post to because it went the way of too many Wesnoth discussions) someone mentioned "Lethal Joke" characters, characters that seem weak/underpowered but can be totally devastating once the trick is learned.

What would be some combinations of Lethal Joke units or factions in Wesnoth? An obvious example would be a faction that had two units, one with slow and one with berserk. Another example would be a unit that had negligible HP and attack, but had teleport AND concealment, meaning it could steal villages and then disappear.

Any other ideas?

(Note: I am asking these questions for fun, with no intention of putting them together, even for a UMC).
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Orcish Shyde

Re: "Lethal Joke" faction or units

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Glowing Fish wrote:An obvious example would be a faction that had two units, one with slow and one with berserk.
The Alliance of Light in Great War has Elvish Shamans and Dwarvish Ulfserkers...

EDIT: Anything with the currently-unused Stones ability. Now see what that 1-3 melee attack is really worth!
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

As I mentioned before, a faction with fragile units but high mobility could qualify. While many players might not like the fact that they cannot win in a direct confrontation, they can be all over the map, capturing villages, giving you funds while starving the enemy of funds.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
cretin

Post by cretin »

this makes me think of the "Mu" unit used on orocia (i think the Mu is in EoMA). basically a lvl 0 unit with 10-1 but when upgraded gets the potential of crazy damage but low hp and such
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

A unit that becomes a copy of its opponent whenever it attacks or becomes attacked. :\

(or maybe everything except hp)
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

A unit with say 30hp and 2-2 attack, but when it has exactly say... 26hp it gets 1000-1000 berserk attack
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

Well, the thing with lethal joke characters is that it can't be obvious how they would be useful :\

Maybe something like reverse swarm. An attack that works like swarm except it uses the transformation (strikes)*(max_hp-hp)/(max_hp) instead of the normal one.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

randomdragoon wrote:Well, the thing with lethal joke characters is that it can't be obvious how they would be useful :\

Maybe something like reverse swarm. An attack that works like swarm except it uses the transformation (strikes)*(max_hp-hp)/(max_hp) instead of the normal one.
Kind of like a Limit Break?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I think it would be interesting to code units with an overall higher firepower per unit, low hp, and decently cheap cost. They have "Vengeful" as a trait option.

"Vengeful" = If this unit would die in combat it still attacks with its remaining strikes.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
grrr

Post by grrr »

Well, let's refine the rules and see whether we can such a lethal joke combo from existing material, that is, default era (feel free to look in EoM or EE for similar ideas).

So in the spirit of Zooks PYR era I thought that - if a faction having DAs, shamans and ulfs can safely be called OP - a faction using only thieves, elvish fighters, saurian skirms and wc's might look very weak.

BUT, it as a nice combo in it:
1. level fighter to capt.
2. take skirm behind enemy lines.
3. B-B-BACKSTAB! 6+1 times for each skirm, since the skirm can still move after a thief has attacked (compare to the awesomeness of rogues). For 13g you have the potential to max out at 15-3 vs normal units, and a shocking 19-3 even vs elusivefoot.
(4. zombify what is only half-alive.)

Your turn.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

In HttT, I used Horsemen and Shamans as soon as I got the horses.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.