Is it wort playing Wesnoth developement ver?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wumtog

Is it wort playing Wesnoth developement ver?

Post by Wumtog »

Hi Dudes,

what do u think?

I just installed the dev version of wesnoth but there were only 2 games. i deinstalled it afterwards, because it was in the wrong folder.

now i wonder if its worth reinstalling or are there always so few players playing in the developement version?

share ur experience with me :)

advantage of dev. version is, i think, auto update of addons (less Out of sync)
Thanatos

Re: Is it wort playing Wesnoth developement ver?

Post by Thanatos »

If you mainly go for multiplayer matches, you might consider sticking to the stable version. The "stable" MP-server is where the action takes place.

But there are quiet some other reasons for trying out the dev version.

After all, it's named "dev"-version for a reason. ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Well, I just installed 1.5.8 and I have to say, I hate this: any scenarios or campaigns that have extra terrains, the terrains appear in the map editor, but when I put them in a map, the map can't be played... It should be made so it would work.
Check out my sprites!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

woodmouse wrote:Well, I just installed 1.5.8 and I have to say, I hate this: any scenarios or campaigns that have extra terrains, the terrains appear in the map editor, but when I put them in a map, the map can't be played... It should be made so it would work.
No.
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Well, that depends on whether or not you want to try the new features of the dev version or not. ;) I myself use the stable version but I occasionally download the dev version to see what is new. I imagine once we get to the Release candidants for 1.6.x there will be much more people on there. ;)
woodmouse wrote:Well, I just installed 1.5.8 and I have to say, I hate this: any scenarios or campaigns that have extra terrains, the terrains appear in the map editor, but when I put them in a map, the map can't be played... It should be made so it would work.
Not necessary, remember, they are testing things, the devs do not guarentee everything to work. ;)
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

TheMasterOfBattle wrote:Not necessary, remember, they are testing things, the devs do not guarentee everything to work. ;)
Yea, I know... It's just that then they don't work on the stable, either. And that makes it less nice. But well.
Check out my sprites!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

woodmouse wrote:
TheMasterOfBattle wrote:Not necessary, remember, they are testing things, the devs do not guarentee everything to work. ;)
Yea, I know... It's just that then they don't work on the stable, either. And that makes it less nice. But well.
What you're seeing is not a bug.
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Definitely, 1.5 is way better than 1.4. Of course, I prefer campaigns over multiplayer..
JW

Post by JW »

TheJM wrote:Definitely, 1.5 is way better than 1.4. Of course, I prefer campaigns over multiplayer..
1.5 also has the latest release of the Era of Myths on it as well, if you are a fan of MP eras. :)
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Look over the change logs for the specific dev version of wesnoth that you want to play. I would recommend the player changelog as they outline most of the visible features that would interest casual users.

Remember that the changelog outlines only the changes of each minor version, not the whole accumulative difference compared to stable versions. That is why you would need to look over each of the 1.5.x release notes and stack them together to compare with the stable 1.4 version.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!