Why Can't I Hit?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

rykus
Posts: 16
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 9:37 am

Why Can't I Hit?

Post by rykus »

Okay - first of: LOVE the game.

That being said - it seems (not just once in a while) that I have a guy with a 70% hit chance and 2 or 3 attacks who hits maybe once, usually none. The guy I'm attacking, who has a 30% chance and 4 hits, lands every single shot, or at least 3 out of the 4, killing my high-level unit who should have mopped the floor with him.

I've reloaded several times and get similar results, and usually have to try it 5 or 6 times before it works out.

I don't mind if that kind of thing popped up once in a while, but it's ALL THE TIME. The monsters seem to hit way more than the listed percentage would have me believe, and I hit much less... Is there some kind of weighting in the background? Or am I just crazy?

User avatar
zookeeper
WML Wizard
Posts: 9740
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 10:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by zookeeper »

rykus wrote:Is there some kind of weighting in the background?
No.

rykus
Posts: 16
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by rykus »

Then it's as I feard... I'm crazy. :lol2:

Though my lack of ability to hit, combined with turn limits makes me lose a lot. But I have the same problem in D&D when rolling the dice. Just not a lucky person, I guess.

Zaphod
Posts: 18
Joined: September 21st, 2008, 7:08 pm
Location: East Coast Elite-Land

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Zaphod »

See the DIY luck thread.
I think this topic may be over, yes?
I shall take this potato chip... and eat it!!

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Turuk »

As you have not read about how the game mechanics work at all, I will direct you to the following thread.

Luck In Wesnoth


These are some pages in the wiki that will help you understand the basics of the game.

Getting Started

Basic Strategy


You can find more information on the Play page of the wiki.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

sayers
Posts: 8
Joined: November 5th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by sayers »

I think using the word luck makes people think things are random, when this is far from the truth. Anyone who has played a lot of poker will know that this is just selective memory. You notice when you miss all your attacks because it is noteworthy, the times when you land 3/4 or 4/4 are less memorable. Percentages are percentages and will always even out over time.

faring
Posts: 36
Joined: January 6th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by faring »

this is a point that comes up everytime someone talks about luck and it is in Turuk's link above
just thought i would point it out so we dont all try to reconstruct the luck thread from memory :P

rykus
Posts: 16
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by rykus »

Thanks for the links and the info! I obviously need to poke around and read up a bit more. And I agree about the selective memory. I always seem to remember the rough stuff, and the smooth sailing just passes under the bow.

User avatar
Flamma
Posts: 34
Joined: February 13th, 2005, 12:46 pm

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Flamma »

I just read the Luck Rationale.

I don't care. I know how a pseudo-random generator works, and I don't care. I could look at Wesnoth code for the code that randomizes the attacks, view a correct implementation, compiling it my self, and I still wouldn't care.

My computer cheats me. That fatherless son.

User avatar
Wintermute
Inactive Developer
Posts: 840
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm
Location: On IRC as "happygrue" at: #wesnoth-mp

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Wintermute »

As pointed out above, this is what you want.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

User avatar
Turuk
Sithslayer
Posts: 5283
Joined: February 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Turuk »

Flamma wrote:I don't care. I know how a pseudo-random generator works, and I don't care. I could look at Wesnoth code for the code that randomizes the attacks, view a correct implementation, compiling it my self, and I still wouldn't care.

My computer cheats me. That fatherless son.
I find that threatening my computer helps. Try uttering the phrase, "I don't care if you claim it's out of your control or not. I have a glass of water here that just might find itself 'accidentally' spilled if I miss. Think about it." It will work wonders.

I have often seen my orcish grunt miss both of his attacks just to watch my computer kill the dwarf fighter anyways. Fear is a powerful thing.



If you do not care for it that much still, you could also, you know, play another game where you could win all the time.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by turin »

Just reload. Over, and over, and over. I find that I'll tend to get the exact same results the first five or so times I reload (even the same sequence of hits and misses), but then it'll go exactly how I want it to. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

User avatar
LemonTea
Posts: 138
Joined: September 24th, 2008, 4:56 am
Location: Brisbane, Dumb State, Australia

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by LemonTea »

Any game that has dodge rate/crit rate/anything 'rate' will contain luck. So let's go complain to Blizzard because in starcraft units on higher terrain have 25% dodge against attacks from lower terrain. (as far as I remember, been a while).

But anyway, here it is again for emphasis:
An awesome guy once wrote:With countless posts about luck, maybe it's now time to go to mass production. Here is a form I proposed gets used for future posts about luck.

CROSS ALL THE BOXES THAT APPLY

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] The Wesnoth Community
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

I wish to complain about the luck system because:

[ ] It's not realistic
[ ] It's counterintuitive
[ ] I think it means the better player doesn't always win
[ ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[ ] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

My evidence to back up my argument is:

[ ] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[ ] A replay where I believe one player played better but lost
[ ] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[ ] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[ ] A detailed statistical analysis, and I've almost got a GCSE in Maths so I know exactly what I'm on about.
[ ] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ ] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[ ] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[ ] I'm speaking for myself
[ ] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[ ] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

My preferred system would be:

[ ] Development of the accuracy era
[ ] A luck offsetting system
[ ] A "deck of cards" system
[ ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ ] The devs include an option for less luck
[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[ ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[ ] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely


____________________________________________________
EDIT: At least Wesnoth only has a dodge rate to worry about, no other 'rates' :wink:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:

User avatar
Orcish Shyde
Posts: 303
Joined: October 13th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by Orcish Shyde »

LemonTea wrote:EDIT: At least Wesnoth only has a dodge rate to worry about, no other 'rates' :wink:
Wrong. It has a 20% tax rate at the end of every mission. :P
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.

rykus
Posts: 16
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: Why Can't I Hit?

Post by rykus »

And just what do these taxes go towards, I wonder?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm usually cursed, though my orcish warlord was surrounded by elves, sitting on a town and he dropped a good 6 or 7 of them before he went down, hitting far above his 60%, and getting hit far less than he should of, too.

But, earlier that same game I surrounded a footpad (slippery little devils!!), missed all of my attacks and he killed my huge troll. I cried a little, then reloaded and squashed him. I try not to save/load as much as I used to - takes the fun out of the game that comes from that chance of your troops botching a simple "cluster f-" maneuver. Maybe they were hung over on h-o-l-y w-a-t-e-r :shock:

Post Reply