Offensive nicknames

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mrmoose

Re: Offensive nicknames

Post by mrmoose »

SO all USA people are dispicable because we dont agree that hitler is on the same level as bush?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I feel that this should probably be moved to off-topic before it gets out of hand.

On the same note, if there are more people that feel that strongly about this :?: then maybe all political names could be banned on the MP server? It would seem like a simple solution to this problem.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

mrmoose wrote:SO all USA people are dispicable because we dont agree that hitler is on the same level as bush?
Because you Voted for him, if you did, not because you don't think they are on the same level
On the same note, if there are more people that feel that strongly about this :?: then maybe all political names could be banned on the MP server? It would seem like a simple solution to this problem.
I personally , as already stated, don't have a problem with peopel using any kind of nicks like hitler, racist nicks anti latinos , bush, or even if it is a joke about something painfull about me. But you happen to think differnt. That's why i created the thread.
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

Well.. i cant speak for anyone else but me personally I am not defending him. I simply am disagreeing with you, I dont think that he is a name that deserves a ban. If you ban that name u would have to ban ones such as *the queen of england*. I hope u can understand what im saying. simply dislike for someone is not a reason the name should be banned from wesnoth
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

The Great Rings wrote:Well personally I'd be happier to see no names banned because they make people feel uncomfortable, but really, Hitler and Bush are not comparable. Last I checked, Bush has not committed genocide, has not formed a totalitarian state, and has not tried to invade and occupy a continent.
I think you should check again
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

mrmoose wrote:Well.. i cant speak for anyone else but me personally I am not defending him. I simply am disagreeing with you, I dont think that he is a name that deserves a ban. If you ban that name u would have to ban ones such as *the queen of england*. I hope u can understand what im saying. simply dislike for someone is not a reason the name should be banned from wesnoth
first i'm not against banning ANY nicknames.
Second yes probably any Political or religion linked nickname should desreve a ban , there is no need to dig on that matters. it's very easy to make the clausle "no political or religion linked nicks)
As i said ,and will say it a last tiem i'm against any nick banning.
I was just surprised that hitler wsa banned as a nick and bush was not. Since it seems too biased. I didn't choose bush at random, I JUST SAW THE NICK IN THE LOBBY.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

banning a user is not taken lightly. We don't just ban people with a wave of a wand. we would ask someone to change the offensive behavior. If they did not then a kick or ban is sometimes needed. The *prudent* response to being offended by something like a nickname is to log onto the multiplayer IRC channel: #wesnoth-mp and indicate that you are offended. Probably (if moderators agreed with you) action would be taken. Has anyone (like you) asked the user to change their nickname? Probably saying that you are offended and asking them to change it will work. It does more often than not for me.

This seems like quite an overreaction, given what little I know about the context of the incident.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

As I said in my post, names aren't banned based directly on what a historical figure did but based on what their named symbolizes.

Hitler symbolizes hatred, racism, and anti-semitism. Ask anyone from almost any culture in the world and they will agree with this association.

Bush does not symbolize that in a broad set of cultures. Additionally, I suspect that anyone using Bush in someone's nick will be likely to be mocking Bush.

One could argue that Napoleon, Genghis Khan, or certain other historical figures had ambitions as nefarious as Hitler's, but none of them today have come to be a symbol of hatred and anti-semitism. That is the point.

We are not going to ban names of all political figures. That is ridiculous. If you can't see the difference between Bush and Hitler then you need a reality check.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

you are misunderstanding, i don't ask for bans of any kind
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Dave wrote:As I said in my post, names aren't banned based directly on what a historical figure did but based on what their named symbolizes.

Hitler symbolizes hatred, racism, and anti-semitism. Ask anyone from almost any culture in the world and they will agree with this association.

Bush does not symbolize that in a broad set of cultures. Additionally, I suspect that anyone using Bush in someone's nick will be likely to be mocking Bush.

One could argue that Napoleon, Genghis Khan, or certain other historical figures had ambitions as nefarious as Hitler's, but none of them today have come to be a symbol of hatred and anti-semitism. That is the point.

We are not going to ban names of all political figures. That is ridiculous. If you can't see the difference between Bush and Hitler then you need a reality check.

David
Ok do you as you wish, i thikn you are the one that need a reality check, seriously. But i won't waste my time with you anymore. IF you bush don't symbolyze evil to you then you have a serious issue.
About the mockering part as far as i know some nick that mockers hitlers is forbidden too.
michchar

Post by michchar »

Bush symbolizes evil? :hmm:

I personally think he symbolizes stupidity
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

I think you are talking about the son. But since the son does what the father says....
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

JW wrote:
The Great Rings wrote:Last I checked, Bush has not committed genocide, has not formed a totalitarian state, and has not tried to invade and occupy a continent.
Iraq?

It's not a continent, but it's a start. Keep in mind he was limited to only 8 years....
Hitler didn't have much longer. To be precise, 12 years.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Fosprey wrote:i don't consder it trolling.
1. I'm serious
2.yes i hate him that much, and you should talk with more people in latinamerica and probably asian countries (but i can't talk for them) here, any person that doesn't hate him and doesn't consider bush something evil, is considered and idiot, a crappy person, and is automatically rejected. I don't know anyone here in my country that doesn't think so, and if i would that person would be despiced by me and inmediatly rejected from my circle.
Nice to know you completely reject any worth of anyone who does not conform to your political views on this issue.

You know, I hate Bush, but I think I could at least be civil to someone who felt otherwise.
3. really i don't want to list all bush did, but my stomach revolves when i think the following things a) he is/wsa teh president of the most powerfull country in the world b) Usa people voted for him twice ,wich automatically makes me and most people i know lose al respect from usa people, to my reasoning Usa people are automatically despicable people unless proven otherwise, i have online friends that are from usa btw.
As someone who has no sympathy for Bush's policies but who happened to be born an American citizen, and who knows many Americans who are decent and intelligent people, you are being an ass. How is judging someone you don't know based on nationality so different than judging someone based on race or sex?

As for him being voted in, many people did not vote, many people could not vote, and of those who did Bush barely won, probably by cheating both times. The first time was before he pulled most of his crap, the second when people were still scared stiff over terrorism. And he had much of the media in his pocket. This justifies presumption of inferiority for all Americans how?
I;m not trolling i wasn't alive when hitler did his thing, but i don't consider bush much better really, and to be honest hitler soudns to me like some history reference like it coudl be napoleon or gengis khan. Bush is something that is considering evil TODAY. People are suffering from him TODAY. And the fact that there is peopel around that comes even remotly close to say that bush is not evil, really , i;m not joking it i have a tear on my face right now.
The fact that this community is defending him, want to leave it know, and yes, i will, i will leave this user forum, it makes me sick, lucky i will not play for 2 months and when i come back will be only play and production of my mod.
Really you should think more what kind if ideals you have if you can defend even the closest such a nefarious person.
So you leave because people do not precisely share your views? Congratulations on your isolationism and group-think attitudes. If people are expressing missguided ideas you confront them, argue with them, but you do not run to your little hole and shut yourself off from the world. Oh wait, I guess you do.

"This community" is not defending him, simply because we don't all feel that he is on Hitler's level. Their are degrees of bad in the world, you know. One can be evil without being as bad as Hitler. But I guess such subtlety is beyond you. And I guess you can't be part of anything where people don't conform to exactly your view.

Good bye, and good riddance. :evil:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

Fosprey wrote:2.yes i hate him that much, and you should talk with more people in latinamerica and probably asian countries (but i can't talk for them) here, any person that doesn't hate him and doesn't consider bush something evil, is considered and idiot, a crappy person, and is automatically rejected. I don't know anyone here in my country that doesn't think so, and if i would that person would be despiced by me and inmediatly rejected from my circle.
Pity that you don't tolerate people with different opinions.

PS. May be you don't know because everyone is under peer preasure.
PPS. I don't like bush. I fell that many of his movement are... dangerous for freedom (Patriotic Act to begin with). But still I don't feel that he cannot be compared to Hitler.
Fosprey wrote:3. really i don't want to list all bush did, but my stomach revolves when i think the following things a) he is/wsa teh president of the most powerfull country in the world b) Usa people voted for him twice ,wich automatically makes me and most people i know lose al respect from usa people, to my reasoning Usa people are automatically despicable people unless proven otherwise, i have online friends that are from usa btw.
a) One country have to be the most powerful (of course - question is is it twice more powerful, 20 times or 1.000001 times) - and being it's president do not make anybody evil. Unless we believe that being president is evil.
b) Well - as usually the results are +- 50% you should consider a little more then half of americans
Fosprey wrote:I;m not trolling i wasn't alive when hitler did his thing, but i don't consider bush much better really, and to be honest hitler soudns to me like some history reference like it coudl be napoleon or gengis khan. Bush is something that is considering evil TODAY. People are suffering from him TODAY. And the fact that there is peopel around that comes even remotly close to say that bush is not evil, really , i;m not joking it i have a tear on my face right now.
Neighter Napoleon not Gengis Khan did not become a symbol. I think it is the important faction in deciding if something can be consider offensive.

Also AFAIK the occupation of Iraq and Afganistan is not comparable to Hitler's occupation (I don't know anyone form those country - but I know severl people who lived under Hitler occupation). I haven't found any information about those countries which would indicate:
- Cauching people on the street (without any official reason other that they can) and shoot them or transport to death/force labour/slave camp.
- Cauch number of people an threat that they will be released only if ressistance will give up or just shoot them in revange
- Even create the death camp

If you would be so kind to provide the comparative movements of Bush I'd be grateful. Creation of the prison in which the people are held without judgement is not comparable to creation of death camps which main function is to kill the prisoners. Inviding a country to get an oil is not comparable to inviding a country to kill comparable amount of people to have a 'living space'. I may be wrong - but I would ask to provide arguments.
Fosprey wrote:The fact that this community is defending him, want to leave it know, and yes, i will, i will leave this user forum, it makes me sick, lucky i will not play for 2 months and when i come back will be only play and production of my mod.
As far only several people spoke so I don't think that you can consider that whole community spoke.
Fosprey wrote: Really you should think more what kind if ideals you have if you can defend even the closest such a nefarious person.
Well - what I was thought by my father (or at least beeing tryed to be thought) was to always try to look from the other side's point of view. Sometimes in discussion to defend the point I didn't agree with. It at least helps to have consider more arguments.
Hitler didn't have much longer. To be precise, 12 years.
Untill 1939 (5 years) hittler occupied 3 countries. By 1940 (6 years) 4 more (7 in total). If I hadn't missed anything.