Protest of Action by Admin-NOTE: Potentially Offensive Name

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RobSmith176

Protest of Action by Admin-NOTE: Potentially Offensive Name

Post by RobSmith176 »

Greetings:

If I could please ask the administrators/owners of the game for a moment of their time. I have been playing your game for a little over a week now and have found it to be quite enjoyable, particularly when played with my close friends. Recently however I ran into an incident in which I was banned by Noy3 for a nick I had chosen, that being (WARNING: POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE) "Sexy_Hitler."

In reading the Code of Conduct I did not interpret the nick to fall under the category of profane. Though I am aware of the strong feelings that can be caused by the name "Hitler" I assure you that the name itself was an old joke between friends that poked fun at and belittled a truly evil man and thus I felt in the worst case scenario it fell under the exception, as I only ever played with close friends of mine and would never dream of entering other games with that name.

I was told by one of those friends who continued to communicate with Noy3 afterward that he claimed I was warned about the name but I do not recall ever receiving that warning. I do apologize if it was overlooked. It was certainly not my intention and I did not mean to ignore anything, but I assure you I never saw any such warning and I am not so certain I received one. The ban from my perspective came suddenly and I was entirely unaware as to why until the conversation with Noy3 was relayed back to me. I was more than willing to change the name, but regrettably I was informed second hand that was insufficient.

I understand your desire to have a fun environment for everyone, but I must protest the manner in which my case was addressed. I had been using the name for most of the time I have been playing this game so far. As I mentioned earlier I never saw any warning over that time and the ban appeared to me as unprompted by any previous action. Certainly I may have missed it, but the chat system for the lobby is easy to overlook. Particularly if you already know into which game you are going and go there immediately.

While I do apologize for any offense my name may have caused and I am happy to change it and not use it again, the response from the administrator in question was simply indignant. I do not like to trouble the waters, but I disapprove of the draconian and unreasonable approach taken here. I humbly ask that this ban be lifted with my full assurance to you the name will not reappear from me. I am not so unreasonable as to try and adhere to its use now that I am aware of the issue. Please feel free to contact me privately if you feel it to be more appropriate.

- Thank you for your time
grrr

Re: Protest of Action by Admin-NOTE: Potentially Offensive Name

Post by grrr »

Hello RobSmith176,

a minor correction: you were banned by me. There are situations when private messages can be overlooked, most likely when joining a game or returning to lobby - I'll give you that.

More importantly, though: you have shown that you understand the issue and the reason for the ban. With that, I accept your apology and revoke your ban.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

FYI we do not allow any nicks or game names referring to Hitler or Naziism.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
c2p

Post by c2p »

With all respect, I find this love affair with banning people for reasons of silly names to be much more offensive than the silly names which get banned. The names aren't taken seriously by anyone.

The whole "it's ok to ban people for being ideologically impure" is taken seriously, though. We're setting the example that banning is the solution to people "taking offence" over obviously petty stuff, which no reasonable person should care about (sexy hitler? Right...).

RobSmith shouldn't be forced to register in the forums and write a long, tedious, and humiliating post in public, to satisfy the nickname police. *That* is offensive.

Also, it probably isn't fair to pretend that his post wasn't a protest...
Last edited by c2p on October 30th, 2008, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

c2p wrote:With all respect, I find this love affair with banning people for reasons of silly names to be much more offensive than the silly names which get banned. The names aren't taken seriously by anyone.
The names are not taken seriously by you. Apparently not everyone agrees with you.
c2p wrote:RobSmith shouldn't be forced to register in the forums and write a long, tedious, and humiliating "apology" in public, to satisfy the censors. *That* is offensive.
What's humiliating about his post? There are of course also other ways he could have reached server moderators yet his post nicely cleared things up as far as I can tell. What's wrong with that?
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
c2p

Post by c2p »

Come on, Sol. Sexy Hitler...?

It's humiliating that he needs to creep to the nickname police and humbly request unbanning from people whom have wronged him. That's why his post is a *protest* of what he feels is unfair and draconian treatment.

The banning doesn't "nicley" clear up anything, it's rude and it's offensive - that's why he's unhappy...
Last edited by c2p on October 30th, 2008, 1:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
IB

Post by IB »

I agree with c2p, I was banned for using the inoffensive nickname c2plikesnecrophilia. These mods are getting out of hand.
c2p

Post by c2p »

I invite the mods to unban that nick, for use by my snuff cameraman IB.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

c2p wrote:It's humiliating that he needs to creep to the nickname police(which he disagrees with) and humbly ask for unbanning. That's why his post is a *protest* of what he feels is unfair treatment.
If you read his post he protested the way he was banned since apparently he did not see the warning PM he received.
c2p wrote:As he says, it's unnice (it's undignified and petty), and noone had any serious doubt about whether he was a nazi.
Maybe you should be a bit less sure about what everyone else thinks?
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
c2p

Post by c2p »

You're being disingenuous Sol, you know that noone seriously suspects a person of being a nazi for having the nick "Sexy Hitler". Come on. If anyone here disagrees with a straight face, I invite them to step forward.
If you read his post he protested the way he was banned since apparently he did not see the warning PM he received.
Correct. And he says that the nickname police were being draconian and unreasonable here. I agree.
IB

Post by IB »

c2p wrote:he says that the nickname police were being draconian and unreasonable here. I agree.
Dave wrote:FYI we do not allow any nicks or game names referring to Hitler or Naziism.
I don't get it.
c2p

Post by c2p »

I don't think you're trying very hard. It's not very complicated..
IB

Post by IB »

Is the point that people that break the rules and get banned shouldn't be banned?
c2p

Post by c2p »

Wow, IB. :-D Let's see if this can be broken down:

1) Rules can be enforced with varying degrees of reason, severity and sanity. The more general the rule, the more you have to think.

2) The OP believed this rule was a) not obvious from the CoC, b) enforced with an unreasonable degree of severity. Obviously, since he chose the name, he didn't find it "profane" himself, but was quite happy to change it once met by someone who found it offensive. The OP found the handling of the situation to be unreasonable, not the rule.

3) I agree with the OP. I would do the same. I would feel the same way. I find the handling of the situation to be unreasonable. Further, I would encourage the mods to not ban decent people via unreasonable interpretations of an otherwise sensible rule. Such behavior is offensive.
IB

Post by IB »

So your proposal is to replace all the bansticks with puppydogs.