Are there any open source game rankings?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Max

Are there any open source game rankings?

Post by Max »

i'm quite sure that wesnoth should be among the most downloaded ones, but i couldn't find any stats. maybe some linux distributions have them?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Are there any open source game rankings?

Post by Turuk »

If you're talking about sheer number of downloads, I'm not sure, but you can go to Sourceforge and count the number of times Wesnoth has been downloaded ever. The numbers will be a bit off by the number of people who are just updating their version, but still, working on getting up to 3 million. :)
Sourceforge Stats

Also, if you just cruise through google, you'll find that Wesnoth is frequently featured as one of the best games:
http://apcmag.com/top_5_best_free_open_ ... games.html

There are a number of other sites with similar rankings, I just didn't see the need to post them all.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Max

Post by Max »

thanks, Turuk...

you're right - it's hard to compare different games, because e.g some might more frequently release new versions, so maybe using google trends gives a more comprehensive picture anyway...

i've just picked some notable other open source games (and those that have unique name):
(wesnoth in light blue)

wesnoth in comparison to: lincity, nexuiz, openarena, planeshift
wesnoth_stats_1.png
wesnoth in comparison to: supertux, tremulous, "warzone 2100", xevil
wesnoth_stats_2.png
looks nice^^
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

there are several pages about freewares , indie games, etc, and no, generally wesnoth is not very well ranked. (not that i think it shouldn't, but people on this sites think differnt, they generally give wesnoth nice scores, but when it comes to rank, they just forget it)
Max

Post by Max »

i didn't care about ratings anyway, just wanted to find out how popular it is compared to other free, open source games...