Save time - the DIY luck thread post

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilipN

Re: Save time - the DIY luck thread post

Post by PhilipN »

Want to be lucky? If you play as the Dwarves, choose Black as your team color...if you're the Drakes, pick Blue and you probably won't do half-bad in the luck department, but if you Really want good luck please pick the Knalgans and play as black.

(so goes my brother's superstition, which also includes choosing Teal when playing as the elves).
JW

Post by JW »

PhilipN wrote:(so goes my brother's superstition, which also includes choosing Teal when playing as the elves).
I would think that green would be the luckiest color for the elves. 8)

What do you suggest for undead? :D
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

JW wrote:What do you suggest for undead? :D
White, matches the skeletons.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Azar Wolf

Post by Azar Wolf »

:lol2: Just for the lulz
Chris NS wrote:I suspect this really belongs in off-topic, but with this debate going on I'll let this get on here.

With countless posts about luck, maybe it's now time to go to mass production. Here is a form I proposed gets used for future posts about luck.

CROSS ALL THE BOXES THAT APPLY

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] The Wesnoth Community
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas
[ X ] Everybody

I wish to complain about the luck system because:

[ ] It's not realistic
[ ] It's counterintuitive
[ ] I think it means the better player doesn't always win
[ ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[ ] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player
[ X] It causes lots of complaining

My evidence to back up my argument is:

[ ] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[ ] A replay where I believe one player played better but lost
[ ] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[ ] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[ ] A detailed statistical analysis, and I've almost got a GCSE in Maths so I know exactly what I'm on about.
[ ] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ ] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[ ] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid
[ X] These forums.

I am supported by:

[ ] I'm speaking for myself
[ ] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[ ] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are
[ X] Fact

My preferred system would be:

[ ] Development of the accuracy era
[ ] A luck offsetting system
[ ] A "deck of cards" system
[ ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player
[ X] Auction based hits- the highest bidder who pays me gets the hit

I demand

[ ] The devs include an option for less luck
[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[ ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[ ] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]
[ X] That you kiss the bride!

Yours (in)sincerely

Me! >:D____________________________________________________
The Rauthar: era + campaign in development
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28424
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Pfft I can make it much more concise.

hey d00dz chenge teh luckz it r phail kthxbai
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Vainglorious

Post by Vainglorious »

I find both sides of the luck argument fascinating. I believe I've read most of the major threads (locked, current or otherwise) on the topic.

I don't have an opinion about luck in Wesnoth at this point, being a greenhorn and all, but the complaint template is amusing.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. " — Nietzsche
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Well, I actually like the fact that Wesnoth has luck, but I will fill out the form for the lols. :lol2:
Chris NS wrote:
Dear

[ x ] Dave
[ x ] The developers
[ x ] Forum Regulars
[ x ] The Wesnoth Community
[ x ] Morons
[ x ] Retards
[ x ] Father Christmas
[ x ] GlaDOS

[ ] It's not realistic
[ x ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[ ] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[ ] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[ ] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[ ] A detailed statistical analysis, and I've almost got a GCSE in Maths so I know exactly what I'm on about.
[ x ] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ ] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[ x ] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid
[ x ] The Cake is a Lie!

I am supported by:

[ x ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are
[ x ] Chuck Norris
[ x ] The Companion Cube

[ x ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[ ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ x ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[ ] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]
[ x ] Cake.

Yours sincerely,

TheMasterOfBattle

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Sadly I haven't been watching long enough to see all the arguments about this. Bizarrely, I tried to fill this out seriously...
Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[X] The Wesnoth Community
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[X] I think it means the better player doesn't always win
[ ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest

[X] I've been driven to save-scumming in campaign mode one time too many

I am supported by:

[X] I'm speaking for myself
[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[X] A luck offsetting system
[X] A "deck of cards" system
[ ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more

I demand

[ ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[X] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely

Operating System - er, Orcish Shyde
In multiplayer, I don't mind luck, but when I'm being prevented from seeing more of a good campaign because the RNG hates me, much screaming at the screen tends to result.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas
[ x ] President Bush (while you're still in office)

[ ] It's not realistic
[ x ] The guy who threw shoes at you missed both times, despite having the marksman ability.

[ x ] I have a lot of complicated evidence you can't POSSIBLY understand, so I won't tell you.

I am supported by:

[ x ] The fifth cousin four times removed of former president Taft, so you better not cross me!

[ x ] The one I didn't vote for, I forget which one it is.

I demand

[ x ] One MEEEEEEEEEEELLION dollars in compensation.

Yours sincerely

X
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Azar Wolf

Post by Azar Wolf »

Chris NS wrote:I suspect this really belongs in off-topic, but with this debate going on I'll let this get on here.

With countless posts about luck, maybe it's now time to go to mass production. Here is a form I proposed gets used for future posts about luck.

CROSS ALL THE BOXES THAT APPLY

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas
[X] Chuck Norris

[ ] It's not realistic
[X] I can't not be unlucky with these losses I have piling up!

[X] What those guys said...

I am supported by:

[X] Obama AND McCain

[X] Getting free money

I demand

[X] All of Bill Gates' assets.

Never Yours Totally Not Insincerely

A bunch of people who's names shall never be mentioned
The Rauthar: era + campaign in development
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28424
faring

Post by faring »

Chris NS wrote:
Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ x ] GLaDOS
[ x ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[ x ] Im bitter about losing a level 4, they should be invulnerable
[ x ] just for the lulz really

[ x ] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[ x ] The silent majority of Wesnoth players

[ x ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ x ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ x ] The devs send a cake to apologise for their errors, the aforementioned cake may not be a lie

Yours sincerely

4ngry n00b!!!1111
Aerkusa

Post by Aerkusa »

This is pretty funny, I can honestly say that before I started lurking the boards here, I didn't realize that anyone had a problem with the luck system. Typically I think it's easy to overlook your good rolls, while your 'bad beats' stick in your mind for the whole game. Whenever I'm playing 'Noth and I miss 3x on 80%, or whatever situation is 'unlucky', I just tell myself: "Well my sample size was too small. I would have missed 20 times out of 100 and three of those 20 times just so happened to be in a row."

Actually now that I've written that, I feel like I don't want one of my first forum posts to be on the oft-discussed topic of luck, but I can't bring myself to delete it.
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

Dear

[x] Dave
[x] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[x] I think it means the better player doesn't always win
[x] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[x] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[x] A replay where I believe one player played better but lost
[x] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[x] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[x] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[x] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[x] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[x] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[x] Development of the accuracy era
[x] A luck offsetting system
[x] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[x] The devs include an option for less luck
[x] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[x] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely

uzy5o
JW

Post by JW »

If anyone is actually taking this seriously like a dev is going to read enough replies and change the game....I feel sorry for you.
Aerkusa

Post by Aerkusa »

JW wrote:If anyone is actually taking this seriously like a dev is going to read enough replies and change the game....I feel sorry for you.
With the responses in the survey, I don't think anyone could possibly take it seriously. In fact I feel as if a lot of people have filled it out who actually like it the way it is.