Save time - the DIY luck thread post

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Save time - the DIY luck thread post

Post by Chris NS »

I suspect this really belongs in off-topic, but with this debate going on I'll let this get on here.

With countless posts about luck, maybe it's now time to go to mass production. Here is a form I proposed gets used for future posts about luck.

CROSS ALL THE BOXES THAT APPLY

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] The Wesnoth Community
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

I wish to complain about the luck system because:

[ ] It's not realistic
[ ] It's counterintuitive
[ ] I think it means the better player doesn't always win
[ ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[ ] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player
[ ] It ruins single-player mode because obsessive players can just reload until they get their preferred outcomes

My evidence to back up my argument is:

[ ] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[ ] A replay where I believe one player played better but lost
[ ] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[ ] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[ ] A detailed statistical analysis, and I've almost got a GCSE in Maths so I know exactly what I'm on about.
[ ] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ ] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[ ] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[ ] I'm speaking for myself
[ ] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[ ] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

My preferred system would be:

[ ] Development of the accuracy era
[ ] A luck offsetting system
[ ] A "deck of cards" system
[ ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ ] The devs include an option for less luck
[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[ ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[ ] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely

Last edited by Chris NS on May 17th, 2008, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Save time - the DIY luck thread post

Post by Aethaeryn »

Your post is pure awesome. :lol2:

Now that it has become so easy I must come out of hiding and complain about luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111
Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[x] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[x] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[x] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[ ] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[x] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[x] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[ ] A detailed statistical analysis, and I've almost got a GCSE in Maths so I know exactly what I'm on about.
[x] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ ] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before

I am supported by:

[x] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[x] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[x] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[x] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it your way
[x] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[x] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
[ ] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely
Aethaeryn
Sorry, couldn't resist to fill it in with my favorite choices.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Aethaeryn wrote:Your post is pure awesome. :lol2:
I concur, it is pure awesome! :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

[] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are
Can we get married?
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I am amused. :lol2:
Chris NS wrote:[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are
Ah... so something a little like this?:
Nosebane, sorcerer supreme, wrote:I will not tell you my corner
where threads dont get locked because of mostly no reason
because I dont want your hostile disease
to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden

without your noses.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

A wonderful form :-)
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

Dear

[X] Dave
[X] The developers
[X] Forum Regulars
[X] The Wesnoth Community
[X] Morons
[X] Retards
[X] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[X] It's counterintuitive
[X] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[ ] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[X] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[X] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[X] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[X] I'm speaking for myself
[X] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[X] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[X] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[X] Development of the accuracy era
[X] A luck offsetting system
[X] A "deck of cards" system
[ ] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ ] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[X] The devs include an option for less luck
[ ] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[X] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[ ] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users
nataS

Post by nataS »

say no to draugs
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Do invalid forms count?

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[x] Morons
[x] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[ ] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[x] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[ ] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[x] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[x] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before
[x] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[x] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[ x] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[ x] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[ ] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
[x] The devs resign immediately, revoke the GPL, and sell the game to Microsoft and the wise benevolent Steve Ballmer. And get rid of those pesky Linux users

Yours sincerely

___N00b pWnzoRz_(no1 on da stepLadder)________________________________________________
Take a breath.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

This makes me smile reaaaally big.

Ty
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

Lol, and not just silent lol, actual [gasp-shock-horror] laughing out LOUD [/gasp-shock-horror]
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Dear

[X] Dave
[X] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ ] Morons
[ ] Retards
[X] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[X] It allows for ridiculous outcomes such as peasants killing liches in single combat, it's true, honest
[X] I keep losing because of luck, because when I play I know I'm always the better player

[X] A careful analysis of the existing arguments, and some new point I feel haven't been raised before
[X] A replay where my vampire-bat spam ought to have won
[X] A long essay about realism, even though there are just as good arguments the other way round
[X] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[X] It's the responsibility of the devs to present the evidence to me. And no, I refuse to waste three clicks to read any on the numerous threads explaining things before

I am supported by:

[X] The silent majority of Wesnoth players
[X] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[X] A luck offsetting system
[X] Some confusing proposal that would actually put more luck into the game, but that's okay, because I can then complain some more
[X] Any system, as long as it allows me to win every time, because I'm such a good player

I demand

[X] The devs include an option for less luck
[X] The devs change the system and forces the noisy minority who like the game as it is to do it my way
[X] Wesnoth is changed into a clone of the proprietary game I want to play really, except I don't want to pay for it, or make any contribution towards developing it
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Good place to send people.

Excellent work, all around. Sure to save a lot of people a lot of time.

It sorta caters to the Myspace survey crowd. I like that. A whole new demographic.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Chris NS wrote:I suspect this really belongs in off-topic, but with this debate going on I'll let this get on here.

With countless posts about luck, maybe it's now time to go to mass production. Here is a form I proposed gets used for future posts about luck.

Dear

[ X] Dave
[ X] The developers
[ X] Forum Regulars
[ X] The Wesnoth Community
[ X] Morons
[ X] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[ X] I think it means the better player doesn't always win

[ X ] A replay where I believe one player played better but lost
[ X ] A long list of sweeping generalisations
[ X] Evidence? Back up arguments? Don't be stupid

I am supported by:

[ X ] I'm speaking for myself
[ X] The other people posting on the forum saying the same thing
[ X ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are

[ X ] A luck offsetting system

I demand

[ X] That the devs give me some advice on how to create a mod that enables me to play the game the way I want, the same way they give advice to UMC developers who are willing to put in their own work, which I can do under GPL, and then [Now, now, this is just getting silly.]

Yours sincerely

Fosprey__________________________________________________
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Chris NS wrote:I suspect this really belongs in off-topic, but with this debate going on I'll let this get on here.

Dear

[ ] Dave
[ ] The developers
[ ] Forum Regulars
[ X ] Morons
[ X ] Retards
[ ] Father Christmas

[ ] It's not realistic
[ X ] There is no way that someone who is as skilled as other games as me, could possibly come to Wesnoth and...gasp.. lose at a scenario!

[ X ] I can link you to my stats on other forums/scoreboards that show my awesomeness, including my xbox live scores, and therefore demonstrate that I should rock at this game.

I am supported by:

[ ] A secret syndicate of the best Wesnoth players around, so secret, in fact, I won't tell you who they are
[ X ] The gaming community as a whole that has recorded my awesomeness

[ X ] A system that caters to my unique skill set, in particular, a shooting reticule that will let me direct if my attack lands or not, then I will never lose as I am so good I will never miss.

I demand

[ X ] That the developers, musicians, artists, writers, and all others who have spent years of time, effort, frustration and their own resources in creating a free game for the world which is not only well-written with matching music and art, but is constantly being improved and developed (which I have contributed little if nothing to, beyond posting on the forum asking them to create my uber super amazing era/faction/campaign idea), all for my ungrateful, complaining, whiny benefit.

Yours sincerely,
Just One More Transient Player

I added my own thoughts on additional choices for the survey. Not that the original was not pure brilliance, but it made me think of my own little tidbits.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time