RNG superstitions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tsr

Re: RNG superstitions

Post by tsr »

- thunderers hit 80% of the time on elusivefoots, but only on 70% def. On 60% defense they hit less than 20%.

/tsr
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Units crafted by me* for campaigns have always more chance to hit than Wesnoth's built-in units, but only on my laptop.

* (with no [chance_to_hit] modificators).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Trau wrote:- Heavy Infantry nearly never make both hits.
Unfortunately, the same goes with the magical Dark Adepts...
Not at all. When your unit will survive unless two dark adepts both make both hits against it, that is exactly what they will do. (Especially if the unit was your leader.)

When a thief steps into the open for a backstab where 1 hit will finish off the target, the thief will miss all his swings, but be hit by all counterattack swings. Even if the target is a wose.

Thunderers never hit a target that would be killed instantly if they did hit it, but which you don't have enough other units around to finish off if the thunderer misses. (On the other hand, if they are attacked at range, their counterattack will almost always hit, regardless of what terrain the attacker is in. So don't do that.)

Burners have anti-marksman - they miss constantly when attacking, regardless of defense.

A skirmisher's defense can go as high as 90% if he's ZoCing one or more of your units. On the other hand, in the same situation, a fencer will take every hit and die instantly.

Shamans will miss both shots if slow would have guaranteed that the target won't be able to kill them next turn. (Then the target will get all its hits and kill them, even if they're on 70% def.)

None of the above will ever show up in statistics, because fighting where no immediate death is at stake will balance it out.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Nebiros wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote: Unfortunately, the same goes with the magical Dark Adepts...
Not at all. When your unit will survive unless two dark adepts both make both hits against it, that is exactly what they will do. (Especially if the unit was your leader.)
Yes, but if you are controlling a Dark Adept and need to kill something with two hits, only one hit will make it.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
arielbys

Post by arielbys »

1. When my high-level Unit that requites a lot of XP (Mage of Light, Elvish Slyph, Grand Knight, Paladin, or Great Mage) is attacked by an enemy that can kill it while hitting with half it's blows, rounded up, while my unit is in a terrain that gives him 60%+ Defense, the CTH is reversed (60% in 60% defense and 70% in 70% defense), if the defense is 50% or less, the chance to miss is halved. Except for III
  • If a unit got lucky once, it will become lucky again
  • A high-level or low-hp unit placed in bad terrain will have 70% defense
  • (my brother's): Dwarvish Thunderer line has lower CTH then normal
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

Every team has one unit from it's first recruit which secretly gets 90% defense and hits with all of it's attacks. Yours is always a Goblin Spearman or Bat, Your opponents is always a Strong Resiliant Horseman or Wose.
http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Trau

Post by Trau »

Burners have anti-marksman - they miss constantly when attacking, regardless of defense.

Shamans will miss both shots if slow would have guaranteed that the target won't be able to kill them next turn.
Too true!
TL

Post by TL »

Lizard wrote:This causes the enemy unit to level.
In fact, if you attack an enemy that has a chance to kill you with retaliation and level, regardless of how low its CTK you with retaliation is it will kill you and level 90% of the time.

If a badly wounded enemy unit is 1xp away from leveling and you have to have a unit try to kill it in 1 attack, your odds of killing it are actually quite good (so long as the listed CTK is decent). But if a badly wounded enemy unit is 5xp away from leveling and you have to kill it within 5 attacks, it is practically guaranteed to survive all 5 attacks and level.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

- When attacking a ghost (or any other unit with drain) it will most likely end up with more health at the end of the battle than it had at the beginning.
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

The enemy is always luckier, unless you're the better player.

;)
MCP

Post by MCP »

DotG really brings out the worst in some people when it comes to the RNG.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do, and all you can hope for is survival, and a scroll of town portal.

I heard sacrificing a virgin, mermaide priestess to the RN God will bring good fortunte.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

no, it only works with shamans ^_^ that's prolly why they had bad lluck

oh, I know a superstition that's actually been brought up about me;

mod haxx--because I'm involved (somehow) with the game, I have abnormally good luck
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Jozrael wrote:The enemy is always luckier, unless you're the better player.
This one is very true! I find that my luck is *just* bad enough for me to *barely* lose a lot of games. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! :wink:

P.S. jb's luck > HAX > other people's luck
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Thief's defense is halved when backstabbing a wose ! I swear !
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

krotop wrote:Thief's defense is halved when backstabbing a wose ! I swear !
Seconded!

(Just wanted to say hi to krotop actually, haven't seen you in a while :) )
Take a breath.