Dumb AI?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jmonee84

Dumb AI?

Post by jmonee84 »

After playing Wesnoth (.5) significantly, I have noticed that the AI tends to concentrate its forces at certain parts of the map while completely ignoring other ones. For example, on campaign two, after sending a minor force of about 5 units to the Eastern half of the map, the AI then proceeded to produce and send all of its units to the west half of the map (completely ignoring the force I was building on the East). This may be a deliberate design decision, yet it certainly is not very realistic, and is all too exploitable.
Norvell

Re: Dumb AI?

Post by Norvell »

jmonee84 wrote:After playing Wesnoth (.5) significantly, I have noticed that the AI tends to concentrate its forces at certain parts of the map while completely ignoring other ones.
<snip>
This may be a deliberate design decision, yet it certainly is not very realistic, and is all too exploitable.
At which difficulty level are you playing? I believe I read a post somewhere stating that at medium and hard levels the AI targets troops directly at leaders whose defeat means you lose the game. That way one can use the easy level to practice for the ``smarter'' AIs.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The AI isn't all that smart, particularly not strategically. However the main reason for this is that I simply haven't had that much time to improve it.....yet. If anyone with C++ skills wants to try to improve the AI, help would be most welcome :)
Norvell wrote: At which difficulty level are you playing? I believe I read a post somewhere stating that at medium and hard levels the AI targets troops directly at leaders whose defeat means you lose the game.
This is only relevant on the first scenario. On other scenarios the AI aims for your leader on all difficulty levels.

David
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

I did notice that on the "champion" difficulty on "Isle of Anduin"

In the south, the ai sent a lot of troops into the mountains, and a few into the water. I quess they were trying a straight line from fortress to fortress.
-BrassJ
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

whats the difference between difficulty? Do you give the ai more gold?
-BrassJ
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

BrassJ wrote:whats the difference between difficulty? Do you give the ai more gold?
In most levels the AI in hard difficulty level also can recruit more advanced units (and has more gold)
You can check it in the scenario files, there are conditional setences like:

Code: Select all

#ifdef EASY
	gold=250
#endif
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

BrassJ wrote:I did notice that on the "champion" difficulty on "Isle of Anduin"

In the south, the ai sent a lot of troops into the mountains, and a few into the water. I quess they were trying a straight line from fortress to fortress.
If you run the game with the --debug parameter, a line of 'X' will be drawn from each AI unit to where the unit is planning to move to. This way you can get an idea of what it's trying to do.

David
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

interesting
-BrassJ
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

Try the multiplayer ai... its ok, not all that bad, not all that good
Fate is like an unpopular restaurant in which odd waiters come and give you things you didn't ask for and don't always like.