Where do dwarves live?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sam_waz_here

Where do dwarves live?

Post by sam_waz_here »

a) on mountains
b) in caves

I ask this because I feel that dwarves should get 70% defense on caves not mountains since they live in caves, not on mountains.

Also if you plan on responding with something along the lines of:
They get 70% on mountains because they can hide among the cliffs.

Then they logically should get more then 30% dodge in forests since they are small targets with plenty of trees to hide behind.

Alternatively why not give them 70% on caves and mountains like the nagas do on bridges. (that also doesn't make sence as a fish on wood is not very nimble at all.)
Where is the love?
Wesnothian

Re: Where do dwarves live?

Post by Wesnothian »

Well, they live on both.. Their ''house'' are the caves, and the ''outside'' are the mountains, just as we humans
have our home, and a door to the outside.. And since Dwarves are used to the mountains where their cave are mostly located, they get high defense there. Dwarves don't go to the forest because they simply don't like it, and if they do, they aren't used to it and aren't used to using the trees as cover and the bushes, etc.

EDIT: Since the caves of the Dwarfs are located in mountains, it's safe to say they live in mountains, it's like someone asking you in a chatbox: ''Where do you live?'' and you respond with ''I live in the United States'' or ''I live in New York'' whereas Dwarves would say ''The northern mountains'' or ''Knalga'', etc.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

In caves in mountainous areas. However, in the same way as humans live on plains, but get only 40% defence(or thereabouts) on them, dwarves get limited defence on cave floor because there's nothing to gain that defence FROM. They do, however, get higher defence than most on rocky cave floor, and, importantly, higher movement on cave floors. I still don't quite understand why they are adversely affected by mushroom grove, though.

They get extra defence on mountains because they can navigate the terrain well and take advantage of the cover available, as with elves in woods.

Or that's how i understand it.

Also, balance reasons.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Also, bridges are hybrid water/plains tiles, and you could think of the naga/mermen on a bridge tile as being in the water under the bridge instead of on the bridge itself.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

thespaceinvader wrote:I still don't quite understand why they are adversely affected by mushroom grove, though.
Easy, they eat too many mushrooms and get heavier than normal, that's the reason!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

The differences between a mountain and inside a cave are enormous besides that the dwarves supposedly spend their lives entire lives in caves and mines, excluding runners and gryphon riders.

Also it's like units in the high seas map type; they don't get 70% dodge in the water despite that if asked they would say they were on the ocean.
Where is the love?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Where, exactly, are you getting this from? Dwarves are like everyone else. They need to eat. TO do that they need, at least, to hunt, if not to farm.

They don't spend every last living minute closeted in caves. not all of them live in caves at all, AFAIK - some live in houses in the mountains.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

I thought those were just hermits seeing as how I have never seen a map in wesnoth with a dwarf township above the surface. Also who are we to question the dietry intake of mythical creatures.
Where is the love?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Then they logically should get more then 30% dodge in forests since they are small targets with plenty of trees to hide behind.
Nope. Reason given in the terrain description is that although dwarves can plough on through forests the same speed as any other terrain, forests are such unfamiliar terrain to them that the presence of trees to hide behind is little use.

Anyway, gameplay and balance generally trumps any kind of perceived realism.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

sam_waz_here wrote:I thought those were just hermits seeing as how I have never seen a map in wesnoth with a dwarf township above the surface. Also who are we to question the dietry intake of mythical creatures.
Play Story of Wesmere, there are some surface dwarves (and surface trolls in the same map).