Sam_waz_thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: swordsman sheilds are actually dinner plates

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:
sam_waz_here wrote:Ok i'm just used to forums moving much faster so within hours all my topics are on the third page. But if that's what you want then i'll slow down on the posting. Is there a post limit per day in these forums?
No, but these forums are not just to play around in, they're for developing the game. So don't make a post unless it's actually going to be useful.
Except for OT, and to some extent here.

Just try to keep your stuff in one thread, sam. Pick one (perhaps this), rename it something, and keep the noise consolidated
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

So how do I rename a thread?
Where is the love?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Click on the edit button for the first post of your thread. You can edit the title in the topmost textbox.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sam_waz_here

Re: Sam_waz_thread

Post by sam_waz_here »

The new title deserves a new topic so I ask you this...

When in multiplayer why do players name their games:
NO NOOBS ALLOWED

A noob doesn't know that they are a noob otherwise they are a troll which in either case they will still visit the game.
I have been to enough of these to realise that noobs don't like playng with other noobs so they are more likely to visit these games. There's also the case that the game creator is the more likely to be a noob because it shows their pretentious or aggressive nature; after all wouldn't a player that isn't a noob be more inclined to allow noobs to join in which they can be shown what they are doing wrong without the threats of possible banning.
So I propose a rule that prevents players from typing three consecutive words in caps lock. Even if NO NOOS ALLOWED isn't the message caps lock titles are a nuisance. Or perhaps a rule where you can't put noob in your title but then the nasty players that start these games would stay under the radar.
Feel free to tell me otherwise but from experience this title is pointless.
Where is the love?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The use of NOOB / noob / n00b is, from what I can gather, a very useful piece of terminology. It usually indicates that player is himself a n00b, which gives you the choice of either ignoring this game and going for some proper competition, or join the game for a good bit of ass-whupping.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

And then there are the type of people who just want a decent amount of skill in their game, and just choose to express it improperly.

On SC, I didn't mind having newbs in games unless it was something serious, then we'd boot til it was someone we recognized, assuming we didnt have fh pros.

The name 'no noobs allowed' is rather crass but the msg is sound.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Since this seems to be used as a tool rather then a nuisance then I will move along.

Players should not be allowed to create single player games in the multiplayer server unless it is to gain attention for a new era.

Too many times i've hosted a game but found no players joining so I wait and find someone else open a similar game which they subsequently use to boot every player, set every slot to empty and play alone.

It's like these people just want an audiance to see them play but they could at least have the decency to state in their title that they won't allow anyone else to join.

This also counts for people that host games without stating in their title that they are waiting for specific players to join or set a password, so when I join I am immediately kicked.
(If anyone felt like being clever no I am not immediately kicked for not being liked :annoyed: )
Where is the love?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

sam_waz_here wrote:Players should not be allowed to create single player games in the multiplayer server unless it is to gain attention for a new era.
Sorry, I often make single player games in the trunk MP server for tracing OOS errors by the means of having an observer watch the game. So not allowing anyone to create SP games in the server would be a hasty generalization.

I sometimes have had to do the same in the stable 1.4 server to test changes/bugfix effects across stable releases.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

This post deserves a title:
Dr Stange love or how I learned to stop worrying and hate the elves.

The elves to me represent laziness, they represent someone that was creating fantasy but got bored and went for a generic archetype.
Fantasy is supposed to be a world you create where nothing is written in stone but instead all too often the elves are brung in.

Almost every fantasy game now has elves and usually multiple kinds, which to me is a sign of the decline in people's imaginations. This thread is both a rant against these generic tree or cave dwelling humanoids and a plea to everyone out there to rack your brains for something special, something unique, something that everyone will know you did rather then reinvent the elves again.

This is wesnoth related because wesnoth currently has wood, dark, sidhe, desert elves and proposed elf factions in the ideas forum, along with several version of the above.

Personally I blame fantasy novels becuase that is what everyone is drawing their ideas of fantasy from.
So are you happy with the amount of imagination in the elves or agree that they are a cop out?
Where is the love?
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

Regarding the ''noob'' discussion, I'd like to clarify some things:

A newb or newbie is someone who is new to a game, he doesn't know how to play or he has no strategically and tactically mind, which still has to be achieved by playing more and getting better, simply newbs or newbies suck at playing, have low skill.

A noob is a newb or newbie that thinks he is pro or better then other players, while certainly not.
They insult, or act cool and think they are very good, while they are not.

--
You guys are talking about a ''newb/newbie'' not a ''noob'' unless that certain newb/newbie insults or thinks hes good.
Now somehow the word ''newb/newbie'' is going to fade away and the word ''noob'' is going to take over, thats why almost everyone says ''noob'' instead of ''newb/newbie'', so sometimes they call someone a noob while that person isn't a noob, but a newb/newbie.

Also, it all started with the word ''Greenie'' meaning someone fresh, new, and sucky guy to a game.
How this changed and spread throughout the internet is ironic.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Wesnothian wrote:A newb or newbie is someone who is new to a game, he doesn't know how to play or he has no strategically and tactically mind, which still has to be achieved by playing more and getting better, simply newbs or newbies suck at playing, have low skill.

A noob is a newb or newbie that thinks he is pro or better then other players, while certainly not.
They insult, or act cool and think they are very good, while they are not.
QFT. I, however, don't use noob so much as a reference to their attitude but that they have played long enough to have a firm grasp of the game: Just continue to perform terribly. Generally I try to explain it in nicer terms, but there's not really a great way to say "Sorry, you're terrible, please leave, we want a certain level of skill for both teams".

You'll notice how I said newb in my post :P. Not all of the internet has fallen to noob status!

@no singleplayer games.

They have the option to put a password on their game. That they don't just says something about that person.

I'm not in favor of limiting any sort of action, for reasons like SM said. Also I just think intentionally limiting a game is silly.

@Elves: I fricking love elves. In most fantasy games they are my favorite race. Wesnoth is a notable exception, while I enjoy playing them, they're just not my favorite. Possibly because most campaigns I've played involve them so I like the change of pace.

If you want more innovation, try suggesting new things in idea threads. Maybe you should have a look at alternative eras: Extended and Myths I hear are rather good, and will certainly show you a LOT more creativity. If you have that problem, I suggest you start looking there ^^
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

The first time I had a taste for Elves, was the intro of Lord of the Rings (no I'm not a LOTR fanboy).
Even thought I don't like LOTR, I did like the opening scene, it telled you about the ''ring'' and then eventually
Humans and Elves fought together against Orcs, showing you the huge armies of all sides, and I really liked the Elvish soldiers, the same goes for the aggresive Orcs, and the least the Humans (Loyalists compared to Wesnoth).
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sam_waz_here wrote:This post deserves a title:
Dr Stange love or how I learned to stop worrying and hate the elves.

The elves to me represent laziness, they represent someone that was creating fantasy but got bored and went for a generic archetype.
Fantasy is supposed to be a world you create where nothing is written in stone but instead all too often the elves are brung in.

Almost every fantasy game now has elves and usually multiple kinds, which to me is a sign of the decline in people's imaginations. This thread is both a rant against these generic tree or cave dwelling humanoids and a plea to everyone out there to rack your brains for something special, something unique, something that everyone will know you did rather then reinvent the elves again.

This is wesnoth related because wesnoth currently has wood, dark, sidhe, desert elves and proposed elf factions in the ideas forum, along with several version of the above.

Personally I blame fantasy novels becuase that is what everyone is drawing their ideas of fantasy from.
So are you happy with the amount of imagination in the elves or agree that they are a cop out?
I would disagree; IMO, fantasy isn't really at all about creating something "new", or original, or unique. I won't go into trying to define fantasy ATM (it would make one EPIC post), but part of it involves about taking what is old and putting an interesting twist on it. And given that, a bunch of random factions of elves is much better than some random faction of Random Giant Ants Because Giant Ants Are Cool And New (or whatever your idiotic faction idea is) that no human could possibly relate to, IMO.

That said, I also don't think you can consider a single element of a fantasy world alone; you have to consider the entire world as a whole. I think there's a good argument to be made that all the elf factions in Wesnoth aren't good. The Desert Elves are interesting in the setting of UTBS, though IMO UTBS shouldn't be part of the Wesnoth universe. The Dark Elves don't even have a setting, AFAIK; they are just a random elf faction. The Sidhe, well, the Sidhe work (fairly well, IMO) in the Orbivm universe, but I have no idea how they're supposed to fit into the Wesnoth world. And the wood elves, well, they're just generic elves, yeah, but whether that's OK or not depends on whether they work well with the rest of the fantasy world, which I think they do.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Why shouldn't UtBS be part of the Wesnoth universe? It's just at a different time period, IIRC.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It is a very different time period.