I can't believe it's not save spam

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sam_waz_here

I can't believe it's not save spam

Post by sam_waz_here »

Since save spam is looked down apon in this game I would like to know where you regulers draw the line between save spam and giving it one more try. E.G You have been playing an incredibly lucky game and your units are near their hero and can kill it next turn but a scout comes out of the fog and gets a lucky kill on your leader. Would you:
a) load so you can dodge that scout and start the next scenario
b) start the whole scenario over
Where is the love?
nataS

Re: I can't believe it's not save spam

Post by nataS »

If I liked the scenario I would probably start over, if it was lame and or I am in a bad mood I might go one turn back. I haven't ever encountered my leader being killed by a scout coming out of nowhere though. If a part of the map goes really horrible I sometimes go back like five or six turns to play in a different way, but I would never load a single turn until the RNG gives me better hits.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

With the new auto-save feature, I tend to go back and play a turn again if I mess it up too badly (leaving a key unit exposed to too many foes, for example). Save-loading in the middle of a turn just feels plain cheap to me, though I know there are "iron man" players who prefer to play an entire scenario through without reverting to a save at any point. More power to them, I suppose - it's definitely good training for multiplayer, where save/loading isn't a viable tactic.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Sangel wrote:With the new auto-save feature, I tend to go back and play a turn again if I mess it up too badly (leaving a key unit exposed to too many foes, for example). Save-loading in the middle of a turn just feels plain cheap to me, though I know there are "iron man" players who prefer to play an entire scenario through without reverting to a save at any point. More power to them, I suppose - it's definitely good training for multiplayer, where save/loading isn't a viable tactic.
Yes, I've reverted to a stance like this, personally. I don't save-load if I have a fit of bad luck and my leader dies. I go back a few turns, and do a better job of protection. So I don't save-load when the RNG doesn't smile on me, I save-load when I see that I've made a stupid mistake.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

sam_waz_here wrote:Since save spam is looked down apon in this game I would like to know where you regulers draw the line between save spam and giving it one more try. E.G You have been playing an incredibly lucky game and your units are near their hero and can kill it next turn but a scout comes out of the fog and gets a lucky kill on your leader. Would you:
a) load so you can dodge that scout and start the next scenario
b) start the whole scenario over
For me, b)

For me, the auto-saves are there for if my machine crashes in the middle of playing a scenario, not for taking mulligans on turns.

For you, whatever's most fun.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't know.

Typically I load a previous autosave if I notice that I've simply missed something, like if I intended an injured unit to be inaccessible to enemies but some subsequent move opened a gap and on the enemy's turn someone gets through and kills the unit, I tend to saveload, because it was clearly an accident more than a tactical mistake. Or if I get really rotten luck in a particularly critical situation.

If I just generally get myself in a tactical jam and lose precious units, I tend to load a save several turns back if it's a particularly hard scenario, I'm close to the end or have replayed the scenario so many times already that I don't want to do it again. If it's not a hard scenario or I haven't played over halfway through it yet I'll probably restart.