old (0.4.8) save games not working in new versions (0.5)?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hook

old (0.4.8) save games not working in new versions (0.5)?

Post by hook »

why don't old save-games (0.4.8 in this case) work in the 0.5 version? are the story and/or the names of the scenarios that different?

and i hope the 1.x version will use binary save-games ...because text-based saves are just too easy to "crack" (not that i do it, but i see it can be done VERY easily!)
miyo

Re: old (0.4.8) save games not working in new versions (0.5)

Post by miyo »

hook wrote: why don't old save-games (0.4.8 in this case) work in the 0.5 version? are the story and/or the names of the scenarios that different?
From changelog:
* getting rid of scenario numbering, preparing for less linearity
Old savegames had scenario id which was scenario number. Now scenario number is gone and scenario id is same as scenario name. Saves are text files so you can "fix" them yourself.
hook wrote: and i hope the 1.x version will use binary save-games ...because text-based saves are just too easy to "crack" (not that i do it, but i see it can be done VERY easily!)
This is freesoftware, everyone has access to sourcecode... people can crack their random engines, people can tweak sourcecode, people can change units stats...

We just have to trust them... Wesnoth is not matter of life and death.

- Miyo
hook

Post by hook »

miyo wrote: From changelog:
* getting rid of scenario numbering, preparing for less linearity
makes sense ...i didn't read all of the changelog :(
This is freesoftware, everyone has access to sourcecode... people can crack their random engines, people can tweak sourcecode, people can change units stats...

We just have to trust them... Wesnoth is not matter of life and death.
also fair enough ...didn't actually see it from that perspective ...sorry :cry: ....i'm a bit absent-minded lately
miyo

Post by miyo »

hook wrote: makes sense ...i didn't read all of the changelog :(
Well, it was rather long one, blames on me - I "compiled" it.
hook wrote: also fair enough ...didn't actually see it from that perspective ...sorry :cry: ....i'm a bit absent-minded lately
No harm done (I have pointed very same things to Dave and he gave me about the same "lecture") *grin*

- Miyo
hook

Post by hook »

while we're at the safe-games recovery: what are the new (savegame) names of the levles/scenarios?

a bit OT:
i haven't seen many action on this forum since i registred ...is it usually like this?
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

I think that the old levels are the same, just drop the "Scenario #" part.
ex. "Scenario 2: The Isle of Anduin" -> "The Isle of Anduin"

Does anybody know the new scenario names? (besides Blackwater?)
-BrassJ
miyo

Post by miyo »

Check data/scenarios/ directory.

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

hook wrote:a bit OT:
i haven't seen many action on this forum since i registred ...is it usually like this?
the game is so well programmed that there are soo few bugs that no psot are required :-)
or
Dev. people use the IRC at freenode.net , channel #wesnoth
There aren't much action there, but when Dave(aka Sirp) and miyo start talking ... ;-)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If people want to cheat when playing against the computer, that's their choice: it's their computer, their time, their choices what to do with it. If beating the AI by cheating is what they enjoy, then more power to them. If they'd really get more enjoyment out of playing the game without cheating, but don't have the self-control to do it, well that's their own fault. I'm not going to babysit anyone.

Of course, some players enjoy competing with and comparing with other players, and in such a case we should do what we can to prevent cheating. If players want to compare single player games with each other, a possibility is to play a 'server verified' game, where the save is stored on the server, and every move you make is recorded. Thus if you want to boast about having beaten the game on Champion, you'll have to have done it in a 'server verified' game, and other players can go and replay your game just to see for themselves.

The forum has had less activity since we started up the IRC channel. It would be good to see more posts on it though.

David
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

miyo wrote:Check data/scenarios/ directory.

- Miyo
thanks... I guess I need to snoop around the files, and see whats there, and whats not.
-BrassJ
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

Dave wrote:a possibility is to play a 'server verified' game, where the save is stored on the server, and every move you make is recorded. Thus if you want to boast about having beaten the game on Champion, you'll have to have done it in a 'server verified' game, and other players can go and replay your game just to see for themselves.
would we still be able to save and reload? (the legal way to cheat!!!)
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

nope, saving and reloading wouldn't be allowed. You could load each saved game only once.
hook

Post by hook »

i like the "server vertified" savegame idea :D ...not that i'm competing with anyone in games - i play for my own fun, at my own pace :D ...but the idea's great!!
KoS

Post by KoS »

nope, saving and reloading wouldn't be allowed. You could load each saved game only once.
It's a good idea, but I think it's not perfect.
If they load the game, and then save again, they can load it next time...
I was thinking on some solution... maybe it could be a solution, that if they load a game, thay can not save until 5 rounds, or something...

Or did you think that if they save, they can not continue the game, just by loadnig??? Because that is the perfect solution (I think...).
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Or they get a limited number of "save game" slots per scenario.