Wesnoth Light for Windows

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Wesnoth Light for Windows

Post by Casual User »

Currently, at least going by what is presented on the Downloads page, it is only possible to get a "Light" version for Wesnoth for the Mac.

Would it be possible to have a similar option for Windows? Or if it's been done, where can I download it?

131.5 MB means ~10 hours on downloading on dial-up, with the risk of hang-ups constantly looming...

I apologize if it's been brought up before, I did a cursory search but only looked at a few of the results.

Thank you.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth Light for Windows

Post by Mist »

Yes, it was brought up before and no, it won't be done. Windows package is prepared in spare time by me and Yogi as a side-effect of our usual work on the game. And even in the current form it takes so much time that Yogi will stop doing it after 1.4.1. I'm not going to provide more than one form of the package for the simple reason of not having the time to do it.
On the other hand, if someone feels he has time, will and skills to take it over from us and provide more varied "service" to the community we'll probably be happy to let him do so willing and help him a bit if he has trouble with something.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

We have Wesnoth lite for Mac, as you say.

Wesnoth 1.4 for Mac has been downloaded 16,313 times.
Wesnoth-lite 1.4 for Mac has been downloaded 78 times.

Given those statistics, I don't think that pursuing further 'lite' versions of Wesnoth is worth the time or effort.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Or you could get broadband! Amazing fast speeds will allow you to download files a dozen times faster, streaming live videos online, as well as play intense multi-player games. Your phone line doesn't have to be blocked anymore, and you can never be hung-up after 2 hours!

And it all costs only roughly 5 times the price of dial-up!
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

cool evil wrote:And it all costs only roughly 5 times the price of dial-up!
And if you are living on a tight budget and don't care about those things, that can be a big difference. Wesnoth has single player too.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Casual User wrote:131.5 MB means ~10 hours on downloading on dial-up, with the risk of hang-ups constantly looming...
Or the risk of getting your service banned and being imprisoned for not being able to pay the bills.

In such case, I'd go to an Internet cafe, where you usually have high-speed downloads and they (at least in Chile) only charge you for the amount of time you use a machine. Afterwards you can burn it into a CD-R. This is how I downloaded SUSE Linux 9.3 when I met the Internet.

If you can compile from source code in Windows you can also use the XDeltas for the source code, which are significantly small between releases.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.