So how does this compare to FE?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artstsym

So how does this compare to FE?

Post by artstsym »

I was relayed to this site when asking around about a freeware game close to the style of Fire Emblem, and I was wondering how this compared to that. Obviously it's based on a hex system rather than a normal grid, but what else is different? What is similar? Thanks!
megane
Art Contributor

Re: So how does this compare to FE?

Post by megane »

It's actually quite similar; as for differences, notably it's less "RPG-like;" there's no equipment, for example (though units do level up, so there's definitely a bit of it in there).

The main thing, though, is that battles are a lot less... deterministic. In Fire Emblem, you can be almost sure you're going to do exactly X damage, and that number is unlikely to change much over the course of a single battle (unless you level up, or fight enemies of vastly different levels). In Wesnoth, on the other hand, not only will your base attack fluctuate due to, among other things, the time of day, but you'll be dealing a highly random number of hits, since you generally have around a %50 per strike to connect.

But yes, it's very like Fire Emblem in many ways; I like both -- as well as Final Fantasy Tactics, the official Best Game Ever -- for much the same reasons ^^;
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Another big difference between Wesnoth and Fire Emblem is that Wesnoth is much more of a strategy game.

In Fire Emblem, usually your characters are set up in a small area of the map to begin a scenario and must clear the map, going through it enemy by enemy. The enemies are typically set up on the map statically, and tend to just wait for you to come to them before engaging you. This makes Fire Emblem have rather much of an RPG feel, with the enemies seeming very dumb, relying on simple, scripted behavior.

In a typical Wesnoth scenario, you and the enemy each typically start controlling only a small portion of the map, and must deploy your armies and aim to out maneuver each other and gain control of the map. The enemy is rarely static, always moving, trying to attack you or gain more of the map.

I think this gives the game a much different feel.

Also, megane, there is equipment in Wesnoth, however it is uncommon compared to Fire Emblem. Units are assumed to have basic equipment, and can occasionally discover more advanced equipment which gives them a special advantage.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JW

Post by JW »

megane wrote:But yes, it's very like Fire Emblem in many ways; I like both -- as well as Final Fantasy Tactics, the official Best Game Ever -- for much the same reasons ^^;
OMG you must never have played Tactics Ogre then!!

That game is truly superior to FFT in every way, shape, and form - and it came out earlier. Near impossible to find, you'd be lucky if you can get your hands on this masterpiece!!!
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

JW wrote:OMG you must never have played Tactics Ogre then!!
xD Yep, I have played it, and I do like it, but I like FFT more; I love tactical challenges, which is why most traditional RPG's annoy me slightly, but I also want the RPG-style character growth, and characters in Tactics Ogre feel more like expendable troops then heroic companions. When playing Ogre (or Wesnoth), I know how many archers I have; in FFT, I know their names -- and probably their zodiac signs, for that matter :mrgreen: .
Dave wrote:Also, megane, there is equipment in Wesnoth, however it is uncommon compared to Fire Emblem. Units are assumed to have basic equipment, and can occasionally discover more advanced equipment which gives them a special advantage.
I just meant that you don't say "OK, Elvish Fighter 3, you're going to wear this +2 Iron Breastplate and these Greaves of Lightning and wield this Ancient Warhammer of Slaying," as you do in most RPG's.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

megane wrote:xD Yep, I have played it, and I do like it, but I like FFT more; I love tactical challenges, which is why most traditional RPG's annoy me slightly, but I also want the RPG-style character growth, and characters in Tactics Ogre feel more like expendable troops then heroic companions. When playing Ogre (or Wesnoth), I know how many archers I have; in FFT, I know their names -- and probably their zodiac signs, for that matter :mrgreen: .
If you really wanted to you could know the name of a random bowman in Wesnoth.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Jami

Post by Jami »

I can honestly say I've learned the name of a significant number of advanced units I gain during campains. In particular I tend to learn the name of my white mages/MOL (since I often train them early in the loyalists campains), my Arch mages/Great Mages (since they take FOREVER to train), some of my Slyphs (again, FORVER to train), and my personal favorite res/strong/dexterous champions and avengers.

However, oftentimes the cannon fodder I do not remember, much unlike FFT where you feel like you know all of your party members, even the ones who are not storyline characters.

Honestly, I'd love to see square come out with a multiplayer FFT. But since it will never happen, I will enjoy wesnoth instead.

Unfortunately, I still have yet to play TO. I've heard a lot about it, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
~Jami
[PA] NotUncleDave

Post by [PA] NotUncleDave »

One thing I noticed- if you played Fire Emblem a lot before Wesnoth, it takes time to adjust... losing units in Wesnoth is rarely critical, and sometimes necessary.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:One thing I noticed- if you played Fire Emblem a lot before Wesnoth, it takes time to adjust... losing units in Wesnoth is rarely critical, and sometimes necessary.
And vice versa - I started playing Fire Emblem last week and it's really frustrating to have to worry about everyone surviving...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

megane wrote:I just meant that you don't say "OK, Elvish Fighter 3, you're going to wear this +2 Iron Breastplate and these Greaves of Lightning and wield this Ancient Warhammer of Slaying," as you do in most RPG's.
"most RPGs" as I remember them:

"OGRES?! I have an ogre slaying knife, that's +9 against ogres.
DM: BUT YOU'RE NOT THERE!!! YOU'RE BY THE TAVERN GETTING DRUNK!!!"

hehe. Though I feel somewhat nostalgic, I can't really say I miss spending an entire evening making a character, getting fired up and then having 2 out of 7 people argue about a single rule for 4 hours.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:One thing I noticed- if you played Fire Emblem a lot before Wesnoth, it takes time to adjust... losing units in Wesnoth is rarely critical, and sometimes necessary.
And vice versa - I started playing Fire Emblem last week and it's really frustrating to have to worry about everyone surviving...
See IMO this is where people play Fire Emblem wrong.

Sure try to keep your characters alive; that's what a good leader does.

However, the game is designed so that you can still easily finish it with plenty of characters dying along the way.

If you keep everyone alive, fairly soon you will be overloaded with characters, and most of them will just sit and rot and you'll never use them because you can typically only take up to about a dozen characters into a scenario.

IMO the way it's "designed" to be played is to "take it on the chin" when one of your characters dies. Use another character instead. If you have to play a couple of scenarios with less than the maximum characters, then sure it'll be a little more challenging, but a good challenge is fun. :)

...of course it can be rather frustrating if one of your favorite characters dies. It can also be frustrating when some unexpected event causes them to die (I restarted the scenario in frustration when the Black Knight popped up next to Marcia and killed her in one hit, for instance).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I may be talking out of nowhere on this, since I haven't played FE, but I am assuming it is a game somewhat like Bahamut Lagoon (A tactics/rpg by Squaresoft for the SNES).
One of the major differences between Wesnoth and games that are more oriented towards RPGs is that your characters in Wesnoth don't become super strong. Most RPGs seem to be focused on leveling up a character and getting him equipment until you can be totally stupid with him. In Wesnoth, you can't do this! Its more about deploying your troops in good combinations, because even your best units, if they get surrounded by the weakest units, can die pretty fast! So that is why Wesnoth is more about tactics, and less about RPG.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
balmung60

Post by balmung60 »

I have to agree about the hard to adjust from FE part, I still have a hard time with losing units and not reloading the last save (thank the FSM for battles not happening the same every time you load), also why I stay out of the Jagds in FFTA (I actually killed that game, the flash memory burnt out from overuse.)