Multiplayer through proxy

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

casueps

Multiplayer through proxy

Post by casueps »

I connect to the Internet through a proxy and I can't play multiplayer games (it says can't connect to server). Is there a way to specify a proxy server to play through?
If it isn't implemented you could use the CONNECT statement of a proxy server to tunnel the connection. If someone has port 443 open I can connect to it like this:

$ nc proxy 3128
CONNECT http://www.server.com HTTP/1.0

^D

it's the same as if you do this with a regular internet connection:

$ nc http://www.server.com 443
^D

It works only with port 443 tough.

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You have to be able to connect to devsrv.wesnoth.org on port15000 to connect to the 'default' server.

You can specify another server using host:port after choosing to 'Join Game'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

casueps

Post by casueps »

The problem is that I can't connect to any host on the Internet, for example IRC doesn't work. Through the proxy I can access any web site or FTP server but I suppose wesnoth as a client needs to make a direct TCP connection to a host; the only way for someone behind the proxy would be that someone ran wesnothd listening on port 443 and the client had the possibility (apart from "join") to specify the hostname and port of the proxy and then wesnoth would connect to the proxy as if it were the host with wesnothd, but inserting the CONNECT statement before the usual data that wesnoth transfers for the game.

I'm not sure if it would work but I've been able to chat with a friend with him doing nc -l -p 443 and me doing nc proxy 3128 and then typing CONNECT my.friend.com HTTP/1.0 and hit enter twice and then chat normally, without my computer being really connected to the Internet.

k8to

Post by k8to »

There are tools which will tunnel TCP/IP over HTTP or even wackier things like DNS. TO do this you need significant administrative priveledge on your local machine, and some partner machine out on the internet which will accept and relay your tunnelled packets.

However, this is usually a bad idea, since the existence of the firewall or blocking system in place was usually put there for a good reason, and you're going around it in a way that's really rather detectable if they're not stupid.