is AI cheating?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hook

is AI cheating?

Post by hook »

my brother (windows gaming addict) stopped playing Halo on his winXP to play Wasnoth on my Linux install :D

well, here's the thing: he's been bi***ing about the luck of the computer player's units, claiming that the game cheats ...well, i have to say that the computer's units really are lucky bastards compared to my brother's units - comparing the actual and the theoretical (displayed in game) percentage of chance of hitting.
anyone care to either explain, or at least shatter my brother's (and mine a bit) claim?

p.s. using wesnoth-0.4.8, just saw the update today ...will poke the gentoo-game-portage team for a refresh of the ebuild tomorow ;)
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

AI units doesnt cheat. You can check the code if you want, just to be sure :-)
Next time just try harder, even I can beat the AI on Easy *grin*
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

When I used to play Civilization III, lots of players claimed the AI cheated in this way. I didn't really believe it, and some people ended up running tests, showing that the AI doesn't cheat, but some people still insisted it does.

I think it's human nature to remember your wins/losses in a distorted way, and most people probably do it. I certainly feel a little ripped off when Delfador misses with four lightning bolts.

However I can assure you that the AI does not cheat by making the random number generator behave in its favor, or by having pre-knowledge of the random number generator. As fmunoz has pointed out, the source is available for you to check :)

The AI does carefully analyze different possible attacks it could carry out, and looks at its and your chance to hit very carefully.

David
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: is AI cheating?

Post by Dave »

hook wrote:my brother (windows gaming addict) stopped playing Halo on his winXP to play Wasnoth on my Linux install :D
Oh yes, you do realize that Wesnoth is available for Windows too right? :)

David
hook

Re: is AI cheating?

Post by hook »

Dave wrote:
hook wrote:my brother (windows gaming addict) stopped playing Halo on his winXP to play Wasnoth on my Linux install :D
Oh yes, you do realize that Wesnoth is available for Windows too right? :)
yes i do ...and i also said it to my brother, but he's pretty happy with it running in linux (he's been using my linux as a gaming console lately quite much!!) ...i don't care ...i'm even happy that he gets along with linux so good now (again!) :D

cheating? yes, thought so ...i hope my brother'll accept it ...well, we can only wish :wink: