WANTED: A video of current 1.3.19+ as 1.4 "presentation

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

WANTED: A video of current 1.3.19+ as 1.4 "presentation

Post by ivanovic »

Hi everybody!
As most of you might have noticed there will soon be a new stable release. It would be really great to have a presentation video for this version. A long time ago Radoz had already created a trailer. It would be really great to have a new trailer as a showcast for the brand new 1.4 version. Have a look at the old 1.1.2 trailer to get an idea how such a trailer could look like.

So what do we basically want? We want to have a video that shows what Wesnoth has to offer. It should use the Wesnoth music (there should now be plenty to choose from) and show many ingames scenes, too. If possible the video should be encoded using open formats since we are an open source project. In general you are free to show your abilities with the video tools and your creativity in producing this video.

What would you get out of this? You would do a favor to the Wesnoth team, produce some interesting video showing what you can, *and* the video would be linked in the official announcement.

It would be really great if someone of you could produce such a trailer. Yes, we would need it very soon (that is ~1 week from now) if it should be mentioned in the big release announcement.
DDR

An early release of the trailer....

Post by DDR »

:arrow: Check this alpha trailer release: http://files.openomy.com/public/DDR/WesnothTrailer1.spl

It is a rather faulty version of flash, so the first and last scenes do not scroll on as they should. Also; there is no sound, my computer is rather mute right now. (Can anyone recommend a tune?) However, the middle part actually seems to be working correctly... and that is the important part. Does anyone have any tips? :) The final version will have music, a correct title sequence, and not be compressed to heck...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: WANTED: A video of current 1.3.19+ as 1.4 "presentation

Post by Boucman »

That's a good startx, but there is some more work to go in

* typos in the overlayed text
* no animated sequence of games
* it's still just an enumeration of images, try to have a guideline
* screenshot quality is bad..
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

I also felt images where coming too fast, i barely have time to read and apreciate the screen, maybe i'm just talking about 1 or 2 more seconds.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Hm... yes, you all make good points.
I will slow down the text/image speed. However, I have no video footage of wesnoth to use. :( (and... how are the screenshots bad quality?) What sort of sequence can I put in, anyway? I will check for the typos. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I think, I will use a flash format and a google page. :)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Also:
* Too! Much! Capitalisation! And Exclamation Points! :P
* The text box is obscuring the actual video, even if it is translucent. I'd move it to the bottom of the screen and change the colour to make it more 'Wesnothy'.
* Break up the points. eg. instead of a textbox that says "The Battle for Wesnoth is a Turn Based Strategy Game for all ages! Command an army as you defeat enemy empires!" something like:
"Turn Based Strategy" <a quick clip showing select-click-attacking>
"For all ages" <a quick clip of... something. Combat maybe?>
"Command an army" <a quick clip of clicking on the minimap to scroll to your arrayed forces>
"Defeat enemy empires <a quick clip of your forces pounding on the enemy commander in his castle>
Basically anything that takes more than a glance to read is taking their eyes away from the video of gameplay and we don't want that.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

"For all ages" <a quick clip of... something. Combat maybe?>
Why not healing. Take a Sylph and surround it by small and big units (Saurian, Dwarf, Footpad, Necro, Drake, Troll) while she heals them.
"Command an army" <a quick clip of clicking on the minimap to scroll to your arrayed forces>
Recruiting animations would also work.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
DDR

Post by DDR »

I like irrevenant's idea... but, how do I get video clips? Can anyone recommend a free Linux program to do this with? :augh:
Saphy

Post by Saphy »

DDR wrote:I like irrevenant's idea... but, how do I get video clips? Can anyone recommend a free Linux program to do this with? :augh:

You can try:

istanbul (http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul)
xvidcap (http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net)
wink

Or if you want to capture directly to swf, you can use:
http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/pyvnc2swf.html
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I might try to put together a video for this.
Last edited by jb on March 11th, 2008, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
DDR

Post by DDR »

Thanks for the links. I will try them, and post the results soon. :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Ok, I've made a Wesnoth teaser just for fun. I don't really expect I'll put much more effort into this, but it was still interesting to do. There are actually quite a few wesnoth hits on youtube...some silly and some pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfW9Fu-MgQ

cheers

@DDR - I'm not trying to step on your toes, I think the more of these floating around the better. I encourage you to continue your efforts.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach »

jb wrote:Ok, I've made a Wesnoth teaser just for fun. I don't really expect I'll put much more effort into this, but it was still interesting to do. There are actually quite a few wesnoth hits on youtube...some silly and some pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfW9Fu-MgQ

cheers

@DDR - I'm not trying to step on your toes, I think the more of these floating around the better. I encourage you to continue your efforts.
That's pretty good, but you might want to put more information about the game in it.
By the way, what program did you use to edit that?
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

That's pretty good, but you might want to put more information about the game in it.
By the way, what program did you use to edit that?
heh, that's why it's titled Wesnoth Teaser, and not Wesnoth Trailer. ;)
You'd need a copy-writer to tell me what to say!

I used an Avid Adenaline Media Composer to put that together. It took about 3 hours.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

jb, i really like your teaser! it's very atmospheric!

a have a few concerns about the text anyhow:
- the font you chose (courier?) has no wesnothian feel to me - it's like a typewriter. even worse is that it is monospaced, that means all letters have the same space, which doesn't produce a nice typeface. just look how much room the "i" has in comparison with the "m"...
- the shadow underneath the text makes it really hard to read.
- and why do you start all the words with a capital letter (that's at least to me confusing)?

but again i really, really like the scenes you chose! it's a very nice looking teaser! :D