Noobs keep getting Noobier!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The Doctor wrote:
Velensk wrote:and massed woses...... lol
Hey, bulk-buy is cheaper.
With and only with an ally, could you get away with something like that ... but probably not to the degree he is. For example, if I was undead teamed with something else (say, knalgans, or northerners), and was facing drakes, I might mostly (NOT completely) mass adepts and ghosts, under the assumption that my ally would provide all the blade/pierce support better than I could. Vis-a-vis, when you're loyalists teamed with elves, it's generally stupid to hire any bowmen.

But yes, he's obviously a noob, and obviously not attempting some high-falutin' stratagem like I outlined above. :lol:
DDR

Post by DDR »

ummm... no? :P
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

A while back, I saw someone bash recruiting lvl 2 as noobish....

When I was a noob, I recruited them not because it was more practical...I knew having lvl. 1s are more practical, but lvl. 2s are cooler and have more fun elements to them.

It is not better strategy...it is trying to see all those units. Noobs don't know all the units so they use it to see all of them.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I define noobs as people who make mistakes against all logic and reason. They ignore any advice you give, but aren't necessarily... too downcasting or blaming about the loss of a 2v2 game or the like.

newbs are just new to the game. Most newbs are noobs, but all aren't n00bs. All n00bs are noobs. A good portion of n00bs are newbs.

n00bs are noobs that are jerks.

That's my rating system, however complicated it is. :P
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Grand Marshal Aditya

I happen have a phd on n00bitis :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Somehow people decided to explain everyone what term "n00b" means. Weird. I thought everyone in multiplayer game community has a general idea what the word means. Anyway I don't use it, either someone's a newbie, newcomer or just an idiot (for anyone who feeds their ego with being rude and trying to insult others). No n00b word necessary.

The thing that hurts me more is a vast amount of players who can't really speak english on a communicative level.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

I've yet to see an official definition for the term noob, or its variations. Everyone generally knows the overall idea of it, but apparently it's gotten needlessly convoluted.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Grand Marshal Aditya wrote:A while back, I saw someone bash recruiting lvl 2 as noobish....

When I was a noob, I recruited them not because it was more practical...I knew having lvl. 1s are more practical, but lvl. 2s are cooler and have more fun elements to them.

It is not better strategy...it is trying to see all those units. Noobs don't know all the units so they use it to see all of them.
Unfortunately the 2nd step is...rush forward with these 2nd lvl units...getting slaughtered...disconnect...join new game...
Grand Marshal Aditya

I like fighting to the death and delaying the opponent...
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Smartyy

Post by Smartyy »

Although I am a noob, I wasn't this noobie:

I was fighting in the one place with the statues/stone units..

he started getting paranoid "How did you turn your wolf into stone????"
"uh... I don't have a wolf.."
him:"YES YOU DO!!!!
me:"nope."
him"YES you do can oyu attack me with it??????"
me"no, it's not mine, it's made of stone, It can't move or attack. Learn how to read."
him"I KNOW ITS YOURS NOW TELL ME HOW TO MAKE MINE STONE"
me"I CAN"T NOW STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS"
him: "NO IM QUITTING NOW GOODBYE NOOB"
him:*quit*
"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"Did the chicken REALLY cross the road? Or did the road simply move UNDER the chicken?"
-Albert Einstein
Smartyy

Post by Smartyy »

Federalist marshal wrote:I've yet to see an official definition for the term noob, or its variations. Everyone generally knows the overall idea of it, but apparently it's gotten needlessly convoluted.
this is taken from Dictionary.com
-please note that the word "noob" is a variant of "newb" which is a shortened version of "newbie"

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
new·bie /ˈnubi, ˈnyu‑/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[noo-bee, nyoo‑] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a newcomer or novice, esp. an inexperienced user of the Internet or of computers in general.
[Origin: 1965–70, Americanism; perh. newb(orn) + -ie]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
new·bie (nōō'bē, nyōō'-) Pronunciation Key
n. Slang
One that is new to something, especially a novice at using computer technology or the Internet.

[From new (with b as in freebie).]

(Download Now or Buy the Book)
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This

noun
any new participant in some activity [syn: newcomer]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version) - Cite This Source - Share This
newbie [ˈnjubiː] noun
an inexperienced user of computers, especially one who is not familiar with the rules of the Internet
"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"Did the chicken REALLY cross the road? Or did the road simply move UNDER the chicken?"
-Albert Einstein
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Ok, perhaps I worded my statement wrong. In retrospect I can see how one would conclude that I was asking for a dictionary definition, but really what I meant was that strictly speaking noob means the above definition, but when I see it in actual usage it tends to be used as if it meant...
-Inferior or less experienced, even if not necessarily new
-Arrogant individual who makes simple mistakes and utterly refuses to acknowledge his mistakes, instead pinning superfluous claims of cheating on the other players
-Cowardly and unwilling to stand directly in combat, even if the person being called a noob is essentially outnumbered, outgunned, or both
-Showing off when not really considered so impressive
-(This one only applies to RPGs and its cousins) Picking up an item or using tactics that would be useful to a certain level of players, but superfluous and useless to higher level players

Essentially the above usages of the term are more or less deviations from the original and strict definition, it's just that I feel as if being called a noob is no longer restricted to just inexperienced players, and the term has become more of a way for the arrogant to pin arrogance on someone else, preferrably someone lower, as thus less resistance it met.
St Stux

Post by St Stux »

I've had my fair share of noobish moments. Worst was i saw my opponent massing ulfs, i was undead, saw they had no ranged attack and massed adepts. :oops: I won that match barely so y'all newbies, DON'T MASS ADEPTS! EVER!
Porro ago res publica of somnium
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

I agree with something said earlier. Noob, especially n00b says more about the person saying it then the target of the term.

Its used as a general insult as a way to claim that the person saying it is so much more experienced/skilled at X then person B and that person B sucks.(because they are are supposedly less experienced/skilled or for reasons related to the claimed lack of experience/skill usually)