Best Experience Modifier in Multiplayer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What experience modifier do you think is best to play at?

25%
10%
40%
3%
50%
15%
60%
5%
70%
33%
80%
10%
90%
3%
100%
20%
120%
3%
150%
No votes
200%
No votes

Total votes: 40

Dave
Founding Developer

Best Experience Modifier in Multiplayer

Post by Dave »

I'm considering changing the default experience modifier in multiplayer from 100% to something that works better for multiplayer. What are people's thoughts on the best % to play with?

If your exact % isn't listed, just pick the closest amount.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I always play with 100%. Not too hard too level units, not too easy either.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I say 40's best: Not too easy to level units by attacking them, but low enough for leveled units to play as much of a role as they do in campaigns.

P.S.: With too low experience values, max-level units are very disadvantaged by their lack of full heals.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telly

Post by telly »

100% is best. On 100% things are quite nicely balanced between units like dwarves and elves which level slower but are easier to keep alive and trolls or whatever which need much lower experience to level but normally die before they get there.

I suggest maybe to stop things getting silly, as the exp slider goes lower so should the healing effect you get from gaining levels. Its bareable at 100% because it takes a fair enough amount of effort to get a unit there. But intelligent trolls on low exp they're just like gaining levels and healing over and over again without even killing anything.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

telly wrote:But intelligent trolls on low exp they're just like gaining levels and healing over and over again without even killing anything.
Especially since the enemy's units are higher levels than 1, they can take two fights or one kill to level.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I've played games with all sort of XP modifs, and I think the right level depends heavily on the map size...

on a small 1vs1 at 70% you barely have any leveling,

on a 2 vs 4 AI at 100%, units are leveling and dying all the time...

I'd put it at 60/70% because that's where the average map size is balanced when playing at 3/4 players, which seems to be the ost common type of game...
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

I play always whit 80%...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I never play against human beings, but against the computer I have found that it is best at 100%. But then, what do I know?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

70%

Over the course of a 40 turn 2v2, a good human player can expect to level at least 4-5 units against the AI.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I'll have to agree with my brother. 70% is definately the best for most multiplayer games. Even at 70% it's fairly hard to level a unit in a multiplayer game![/i]
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)
telex4

Post by telex4 »

I'd just leave it at 100%. I prefer something around 80%, but I think it depends so much on your playing style, what race you use, how good you are, and what map you're playing on, that it's best just to encourage people to experiment.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Alpha wrote:I'll have to agree with my brother. 70% is definately the best for most multiplayer games. Even at 70% it's fairly hard to level a unit in a multiplayer game![/i]
Personally I agree with this too. 70% is not too easy, yet not too hard. And the AI has a decent hope of levelling a couple of units too.

I was once playing a game where the AI managed to get a Troll Warrior! :shock:

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Dave wrote: I was once playing a game where the AI managed to get a Troll Warrior! :shock:

David
Tsk tsk. Someone wasn't watching the enemy's experience gauges. ;)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

Something along the lines of 70%-80% is most fun IMO.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote:
Dave wrote: I was once playing a game where the AI managed to get a Troll Warrior! :shock:

David
Tsk tsk. Someone wasn't watching the enemy's experience gauges. ;)
Actually we really were -- the whole time we were going "goodness....that troll is going to end up as a Troll Warrior".

The game was Li'sar, Cedric, and myself against a slew of AIs. I was pressing an attack with my Elvish Lord against a foul orc. The battle got pretty intense, and I was hoping to capture the orc's keep, but having trouble pushing through. The orc ended up pretty badly wounded, but had a troll whelp and a naga on the verge of levelling. My leader was a little injured.

I expected the orcish warlord to retreat, but instead he attacked my elvish lord, who obligingly killed him, but dealt a good amount of damage to my lord in the process. The rest of the orcs finished off my lord, and in the process the troll whelp and naga both levelled up. So, I got outdone by my own AI :oops:

My remaining troops stayed to fight, and a couple of times I almost killed the Troll, but instead had my units killed, allowing it to get some xp. I retreated with my last couple of units, managing to kill the Sea Hag along the way, and the wounded Troll wandered off into the fog where it of course regenerated.

Later it met up with some of Li'sar's injured units who it killed, becoming a Troll Warrior and forcing her Elf Lord to retreat.

We got the game to a winning position, of course, but that was mainly down to Cedric ;)

David