Ok, I take it back. Wesnoth is great.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Des

Ok, I take it back. Wesnoth is great.

Post by Des »

In my original post, I called to question whether a defensive style of play is wholly advantageous. (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18551).

However, I have been convinced through this forum that this is not the case. Thank you Dave, Noy, and others who have pointed this out. I was entirely mistaken.

Admittedly, I was also hesitant about the "luck" in Wesnoth. However, this hesitation was cured after searching the forums and reading Noy's fantastic explanation of why luck is always a factor, and that dealing with being unlucky is an essential part of strategy and tactics.

I really think you guys have a great game here, and I want to be part of the strong community that has built up throughout the years.

I was thinking of possibly contributing to the game somehow by, perhaps, writing a storyline for a campaign. I already have a story idea on paper and would like to see a campaign on Wesnoth that is rich in storytelling in addition to providing a challenge and being fun to players.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

You know there is an ancient Roman saying that goes something like this:

A good commander must be prepared for luck and tragedy. :)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Grand Marshal Aditya wrote:You know there is an ancient Roman saying that goes something like this:

A good commander must be prepared for luck and tragedy. :)
a good commander must be prepared for bread and circus. :D
JW

Post by JW »

Luck will always be a major factor in how Wesnoth is played. It is an issue that has come up intermittantly (sp?), and will always come up.

The key to enjoying the game is to accept the randomness and accept the fact that, unlike other games, you will not be able to control the outcome of all your forces to 100% accuracy.

In many ways I find that frustrating, and in many ways I believe that's an important aspect as to why this game has so much replay value.

Obviously it hasn't scared too many people off for the project to miserably fail, so obviously there's something good to be said for it.

-JW, MIA since ~May 2007
Tony Almeida

Post by Tony Almeida »

JW wrote:Luck will always be a major factor in how Wesnoth is played. It is an issue that has come up intermittantly (sp?), and will always come up.

The key to enjoying the game is to accept the randomness and accept the fact that, unlike other games, you will not be able to control the outcome of all your forces to 100% accuracy.

In many ways I find that frustrating, and in many ways I believe that's an important aspect as to why this game has so much replay value.

Obviously it hasn't scared too many people off for the project to miserably fail, so obviously there's something good to be said for it.

-JW, MIA since ~May 2007
:)
"So, uh, what are we saying here? If we save LA from a nuclear bomb, then you and I can get together for dinner and a movie?"
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

JW wrote:Luck will always be a major factor in how Wesnoth is played. It is an issue that has come up intermittantly (sp?), and will always come up.

-JW, MIA since ~May 2007
Welcome back, and it was mid-June.
JW

Post by JW »

Aethaeryn wrote:Welcome back, and it was mid-June.
LOL, nice. Thanks. :)

I won't be checking in nearly as often as I used to, but I will still try to do so every once in a while.
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

JW wrote:LOL, nice. Thanks. :)

I won't be checking in nearly as often as I used to, but I will still try to do so every once in a while.
Hey, finish your "How to Play" guide. I still have no idea how to play Northerners vs Drakes!
JW

Post by JW »

Shiver wrote:
JW wrote:LOL, nice. Thanks. :)

Hey, finish your "How to Play" guide. I still have no idea how to play Northerners vs Drakes!
omg, I haven't played Wesnoth in probably half a year. My advice would be worse than crap right now. :P

I'm glad people still find the tips helpful even having being written so long ago!! :shock:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

People's common sense needs to be reminded of things every once in a while. Classic example of the origins of the expression "But of course!".

Greetings and Kudos, JW.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Greetings and Kudos, JW.
Hey. :wink:
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

"Obviously it hasn't scared too many people off for the project to miserably fail, so obviously there's something good to be said for it. "

I don't want to be rude. But that's doesn't mean anything, you maybe scared of 90% of potential players.....
you still have 10% left.
JW

Post by JW »

waterd103 wrote:"Obviously it hasn't scared too many people off for the project to miserably fail, so obviously there's something good to be said for it. "

I don't want to be rude. But that's doesn't mean anything, you maybe scared of 90% of potential players.....
you still have 10% left.
Possibly. But what are the qualities of those 90%? Are they the "ZOMG NOOBZORZ I PWND JOO" type? :-k
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

waterd103 wrote:"Obviously it hasn't scared too many people off for the project to miserably fail, so obviously there's something good to be said for it. "

you still have 10% left.
This does not disturb me. Even though the peotential pool of good/interested players is not as big as many other games the amount that enjoy it are enough that olny rarely am I scrapped for opponents when I look for them. Besides the ones that get scared of tend to be the ones with inflated egos or other problems. If they don't survive a self-imposed purge then that's their problem. Responces from the developers could be nicer at times however it is their game, and as one who works on games who arn't his own I've found that it is important too respect those who do own it's opinions and wishes. If the game takes a turn you don't like or something else there are plenty of other good games out there that you can play, your leaving won't damage the community one bit.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

"If the game takes a turn you don't like or something else there are plenty of other good games out there that you can play"

I wish this is true.
Maybe there are good games our there.
But GREAT games? and then... GREAT TACTICAL TURN BASED GAMES?
Battle for wesnoth is right now by far the best tactical turn based game on any plataform. The only game that has ever come close to wesnoth is Final fantasy tactics. And it was doomed from the start since......it cannot be played in multiplayer.

Wesnoth is really great, is open source, it has a very good map editor, technically is beautiful, the graphics, the colors, the sounds. Maybe not so great music (very few themes) and so so art. it's very balanced. i think i could go a little more, but the point is that a tactical turn based game, it's the best i have ever seen. Not that it had much of a competition lately.

Of course this is a matter of opinion. The reason why to me it's that great is because i'ts a tactical turn based game that can be played multiplayer. Most games of this genere in the past has been only singler player.
I don't know why developers spend so much time improving the single player experience in wesnoth. If i would have the power to make a game wich has so strong technical capabilites as wesnoth, i would focus in bring something cannot be find out there. Single player tactical turn based games are full of them, and some of them very good. Final fantasy tactics, X-Com, disgaia.
If you name multiplayer, incubation, battle isle. i really can't name anyting barely decent on this range.
Why focusing so much in singleplayer when what's lacking of is multiplayer in this genere?

The point of all this is stating that There is a lack of good tactical turn based games that can be played on multiplayer. If you ask me, BfW is the best one. But it comes not without flaws.
For someone as me who games are very important in their lifes. Finding a game that becomes the best game in it's favorite genere it's a breaking point. But if some falls are big (to me for wesnoth there are 2 big falls and a couple of small ones,the two big ones are, Luck it's too strong and it's to easy to scout) one seeing a game so close to a perfect point, and not there, BUT THE game is open source and in development, it's like making me step two meteres away from the cookie.