Operating systems

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What operating system do you use for playing Wesnoth?

Windows
32%
GNU/Linux
50%
MacOS X
15%
SunOS/Solaris
No votes
FreeBSD
No votes
NetBSD
No votes
Other (specify)
3%

Total votes: 129

CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

It makes sense, considering that it's a highly user-friendly game, not steeped in hardcoding. Which means that instead of appealing to a narrow demographic of hardcore programmers, it appeals to the general audience. And due to market share, that translates to Microsoft. Even if the project is GPL.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Yes, i bet there are more windows user than linux, because most of the people who downloaded this is using windows, and as you all know, they tend not to join the community and register a forum account to talk about it.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

By the way, what were the two "Other" votes? I figured that all of the OS's (except maybe Unix) had been covered in the poll.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

One is mine.
Dual boot is not counted. :lol:
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:By the way, what were the two "Other" votes? I figured that all of the OS's (except maybe Unix) had been covered in the poll.
Solaris, openSolaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, BeOS, AmigaOS, Darwin, Unixware, OpenBSD, Minix, ReactOS, OS/2?

And the full list of Operating Systems that have ever existed and currently exist?

Of course, it may sound crazy to port Wesnoth to a mainframe supercomputer's operating system, but...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It could be Syllabe too ...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

By the way, did anyone try to successfully run Wesnoth on ReactOS?

(I tried a year ago, but my virtual machine had low memory/disk and the installation failed. Since then I did not have an opportunity to experiment with virtual machines.)

If it works, it would be nice to have Wesnoth in a list of supported strategic games on ReactOS homepage. Also a screenshot for us would be nice. We have different fullscreen screenshots displayed on web, maybe it would also be nice to display a few windowed screenshots, just to show that Wesnoth works on different OS's.
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

"try to successfully run" ... since you didn't choose wording "succesfully try to run", yes I did. I just hope the new ROS release planned for December will be far better, because in the current I didn't manage to copy a single folder from CD to disk in 30 minutes. You can't talk about compatibility when it still sucks even at drawing its gui properly and copying files in its own shell. :evil:
PsychoSidious

Post by PsychoSidious »

I use windows, but I wish I had a Mac.
Awesome quote-signature coming soon
nataS

Re: Operating systems

Post by nataS »

*bump*
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

Various Linuxes, currently from FC2 through Ubuntu Hardy Heron.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

w00t! I cast the 100th vote. Do I get an e-cookie?

Seriously, though, this isn't a very scientific poll. I think in reality the majority of players are on Windows.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, it teaches us that more of the linux and mac than windows users bother visiting the forums.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

AI wrote:Well, it teaches us that more of the linux and mac than windows users bother visiting the forums.
Or know how to work a forum ;)
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

I'm a Windows XP user. :)

It noticed me how alot of Linuxers and Maccers out there play this game, because they can't play
majority of other online games because they can only be played on Windows platform (I feel sorry for you guys, awww..).
I've tried alot of them and only Wesnoth knew how to addict me, and precisely a game which isn't only ment for Windows users, maybe this is a sign of God (just a joke) that I should switch over to Linux/Mac :o

I'll follow my heart and stay playing Wesnoth on Windows, as Windows is my lovely lady. :wink:
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.