Operating systems

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What operating system do you use for playing Wesnoth?

Windows
32%
GNU/Linux
50%
MacOS X
15%
SunOS/Solaris
No votes
FreeBSD
No votes
NetBSD
No votes
Other (specify)
3%

Total votes: 129

cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Wow i see that there is lots of non-windows users here. The only other OS i've been using beside that is Mac OS X and it wasn't very comfortable in my opinion. I look forward to try linux and see for myself why so many people here likes it.

Vista actually runs great if you get the right specs. 2Gb memory and 256Mb graphics cards will be able to handle premium/business/ultimate just fine. You only need half of that to smoothly run basic. It is about 4 times the requirement to smoothly run XP and i do admit it is a bit demanding. There's alot of bugs in vista, and it runs slow sometimes (disabling windows aero and just using the vista basic UI will likely to fix this problem), but the SP1(as in beta) substantially improved performance and other non-appearent problems, things a tech user like me would appreciate.

I dunno, i guess i got too much windows influence on me. :P
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

Now that this topic has reached 3 pages, may I suggest again that this be-restarted and made a sticky? As I said before it could replace the "where are wesnoth players located thread.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

No, I think there are too many stickies as is.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
unsung

Post by unsung »

Vista basic edition.
None of that ram wasting aero crap on my pc.

I love it- It's like an upgraded XP, with some of the useful traits of apple?

The following application wants to modify your program files: "trojan of death 9000!" do you wish to allow it?
No. No, I do not.

Non basic likely does suck, though.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Dveman115 wrote:Now that this topic has reached 3 pages, may I suggest again that this be-restarted and made a sticky?
Before doing this, it would be nice to add a POLL with operating systems mentioned in this thread. So that people only have to click an option, not have to type. Only if the option is not already in the poll, it should be written. It is also easier to see the results of the poll, instead of reading all replies.

The poll can be made by editing the first post in thread.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

Why thank you shadow master :lol:
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

There were ten times more users on 1.0 than on 1.3? Or has it got to do with the time it took for a new release?
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

1.0 is a stable version of the game. Most normal players would not want to download the unstable version. Also, some people are reluctant to switch to a new version if the old one works perfectly (and I never recall the 1.0 multiplayer/campaign servers being shut down)
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Well, that 10 times more still applies to 1.0 compared to 1.2 and I don't expect those atleast 80% are still hanging around at 1.0?
chazz

Post by chazz »

I run two computers with Windows XP Professional SP2,
and two running Slackware 12. Two laptops, and two desktops, one each. although the Slackware desktop is pretty much a build environment and dedicated server.
moredhel
Location: this country wich prevents lots of empty space between poland and france

Post by moredhel »

ivanovic wrote:Sorry to tell you, but your numbers are wrong. The linux users can not be estimated via sf.net, since almost all distributions do have their own mirrors and we have no download numbers for those.
Not only Linux. The last Wesnoth i installed was downloaded from the FreeBSD ports collection.
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

I'm using Debian Testing 'Lenny' now. Also used Kubuntu before. So I voted for GNU/Linux, and it looks like the majority playing Wesnoth uses Linux.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Chris7mas wrote:I'm using Debian Testing 'Lenny' now. Also used Kubuntu before. So I voted for GNU/Linux, and it looks like the majority playing Wesnoth uses Linux.
no, not really; most of the more dedicated players are probably on linux, but i remember a couple of times someone asking in a mp game what was everyones OS (in addition to the standard "so where are you from?") and windows was prevalent.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Windows is the most commonly used platform for Wesnoth, yes.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.