Wesnoth comic

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think of the comic (in general?)

OMG HILARIOUS! This comic is epic win! (5)
21%
Good job! It's a great comic. (4)
24%
It's pretty good. (3)
33%
Meh. (2)
14%
Your comic fails. (1)
No votes
Um...no. Just no. (0)
7%

Total votes: 42

Flametrooper

Wesnoth comic

Post by Flametrooper »

Since a search of the forums yielded only one other result (and that was a guy who said he might do a Wesnoth webcomic but apparently, from the lack of a link, never did), I decided to go ahead and make a new thread on this one. It's in User's Forum because you can't (or at least I can't) put attachments in OT.
I have, during the very few snatches of time when I'm bored with no social, school, or band obligations, been drawing a few Wesnoth comics, since I like drawing comics and I like Wesnoth. The combination of the two is rather obvious - I'm kinda surprised I didn't think of it before.
I'll try to keep it PG max, but there may be some that could be thought of a "inappropriate" by certain people with certain values. I will post disclaimers for these. I'd really like it if they didn't get deleted.
These are (obviously) under GPL and all that. They could probably be put in the Wesnoth Observer.
I also put a poll up for ratings of the comic.

Anyways here's the first, more to come:
Attachments
tecnichally.PNG
tecnichally.PNG (421.16 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
hey.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Added to the Comics section of The Observer. Thanks!
Theo

Post by Theo »

I would improve the dialog. Instead of just "reanimate us", I would go for...

"Actually they'll kill us slowly and painfully, but they won't stop there, not until they literally strip the flesh off our bones and mutilate our rotting corpses as they reanimate us and force us to kill our own children in our undead state. So yes, they would be taking our lives AND our freedom simultaneously. Quite ingenious I must say."
DDR

Post by DDR »

Added to the Comics section of The Observer. Thanks!
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I really like this idea :)
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I like the concept, and the joke is pretty good.

The speech bubbles are poorly done though. They're un-bordered and the text doesn't fit in them properly. I'd suggest using the GIMP for that, but that's what I'm familiar with - there may be better tools.

Also, the reading order is unclear on the 2nd panel. By either ordering the units differently so the mage is on the left, or making the merman speak instead the text bubbles would read left-to-right.

[EDIT] It looks like the current version of the GIMP even has a resizable "speech bubble" brush. Nifty!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Consitering the TOD and units on the feild I would not fear were I the loyalist player.

Aside from that the comic lacked... punch? Sort of funny base idea but I did not like the exsecution.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
elricz

Post by elricz »

irrevenant wrote:and the joke is pretty good.
Not entirely original
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

^ :o That's surprising. Oh well, great minds think alike, I suppose.
I haven't read OoTS in a long time, and I didn't even remember that one.
Oh and
Theo wrote:I would improve the dialog. Instead of just "reanimate us", I would go for...

"Actually they'll kill us slowly and painfully, but they won't stop there, not until they literally strip the flesh off our bones and mutilate our rotting corpses as they reanimate us and force us to kill our own children in our undead state. So yes, they would be taking our lives AND our freedom simultaneously. Quite ingenious I must say."
There's a limit to what can fit in a speech bubble, you know.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Double post. Here's another one, rather big panel, bit of a simple idea I just randomly thought of as I began replaying HttT.
Attachments
arewetheryet1.jpg
arewetheryet1.jpg (190.49 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Now THAT i like...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

mcuh better. the 1. post comic was totally unfunny, this one has some kick.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

elricz wrote:
irrevenant wrote:and the joke is pretty good.
Not entirely original
Do you know how many zillions of fantasy jokes there are out there? It's not surprising the wheel gets reinvented sometimes.

The 2nd comic is very cool, and your speech bubbles have improved a lot. I'd still outline them though (which I'd do through the "select" and "stroke edge" tools rather than outlining by hand).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. I'd also advise drawing them with an ellipse tool rather than freehand, it'll look MUCH better. IN GIMP, do this by making an elliptical selection, and Edit > Stroke selection. Then add the pointy bit and bucket fill. Do the text first on a layer above the ellipse to make sure it'll fit in.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

had a try too.

The Theory Of Evolution As Applied To Wesnoth.