Age of Wesnoth Players

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How old are you?

12-15
18%
16-19
22%
20-23
18%
24-27
17%
28-31
10%
32-35
6%
36-39
5%
40+
5%

Total votes: 730

Gankenstein

Re: Age of Wesnoth Players

Post by Gankenstein »

I'm from 1958, and having just read this thread I wish to say gamers come in all ages and genders.

:eng: Several surveys in recent years claim the largest gamer segment in the Western world are women aged 40+. I've at least three women friends around my own age who're hardcore WoW'ers (I'm a male btw).

My dad, aged 75, plays a lot of Civ II and Civ IV. He says he never felt middle-aged or old until he hit 70.

Before computer games, there were other ways to pass the time and blow one's mind. In the seventies we used chemicals (I don't recommend that, not a smart thing to do).
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

That's very interesting, as most of what one hears claims nearly the opposite. Could you post a link to one of these surveys? I'd really like to read more :o
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Gankenstein

Post by Gankenstein »

Skizzaltix wrote:Could you post a link to one of these surveys?
A quick search yielded a some articles which do not quite back up my claim but still shows there are a lot of "older" and/or female gamers:
Study: 64% of Online Gamers are Women, this must be in the USA (so not "Western World" as I claimed).
In the List of Top-Selling Games, Clear Evidence of a Sea Change
We Are All Gamers, slashdot article which links to a BBC survey with neat graphs.

I'll post if I locate that one I seem to remember which discusses "old lady" gamers in detail.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Interesting--I had been aware of this trend, but I don't really pay attention to anything during the schoolyear, so I hadn't looked into it at all :hmm:
Thanks for the links :)
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

So,I'm 12 1/2 and started playing with 9.I got wesnoth involved in a school project from 1.2 to the end of may 8) and rarely have much homeworks...But,since I'm not here to tell my personal story,I'm the last Matthi205.I wonder why it worked to register. :hmm:Found BfW on the apple site and downloaded it to try it(i was impressed by my uncles Civ II).I now claimed the Toshiba of my mother instead of having to deal with a mac G3 whit 160MB RAM and 900Mhz(6 years old,OS X 10.4.11)and now I'm killed by the
over-complicated Windows.Besides,the older the people in Bulgaria(I'm German),the older they think you are.Once I was guessed 20(I'm 1,65 metres) years old. :lol2:
Gobanhimer

Post by Gobanhimer »

I'm 14 and from Canada. Also I have been playing wesnoth since 1.0 though I never really got around to going on the forums till now.
I eat all your foods!!! -Me (and possibly some movie)
cobra

Post by cobra »

I'm 16 now, but my vote is in the 12-15 section? :lol2:

Oh well.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
NoName

Post by NoName »

13. (very short post, isn't it)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

This poll is so old that next year I'll be 2 choices away from what I originally chose.
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

Im 16 but I met someone who was playing wesnoth who was 8 I thought that was funny.
HenryBird

Post by HenryBird »

Ken_Oh wrote:This poll is so old that next year I'll be 2 choices away from what I originally chose.
No kidding... five year old posts... you don't see those every day!

I'm nearly 18 (in August).
-Henry Bird

Indeed, I am a bird. But as birds go, I'm more like an awkward fowl who's going extinct and can't fly.
Scipion121212

Post by Scipion121212 »

shawnl13 wrote:Im 16 but I met someone who was playing wesnoth who was 8 I thought that was funny.
I had younger friend who was playing when he was 6 years old!! Lol. So long ago. I am 13. :P
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hmmm... it seems I had better change dialogues of my campaign... It is PG-14.:smile:
But I am glad to hear that I am not the oldest in the community. Only few, but I was able to find users who are the same generation of me.
Anyway, I am daddy's age for many users.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
The_great_new_thing

Post by The_great_new_thing »

Scipion121212 wrote:
shawnl13 wrote:Im 16 but I met someone who was playing wesnoth who was 8 I thought that was funny.
I had younger friend who was playing when he was 6 years old!! Lol. So long ago. I am 13. :P
Hey, I'm 13 too!!! Though i don't look 13, according to my classmates. I can't believe turin is 13 too :shock:
"I say hello to the poodle, you say hello to the poodle."