Age of Wesnoth Players

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How old are you?

12-15
18%
16-19
22%
20-23
18%
24-27
17%
28-31
10%
32-35
6%
36-39
5%
40+
5%

Total votes: 730

Nothsa

Post by Nothsa »

Darth, the newcomers may think you mean episode one!

I'm older than most... the ages of my three kids sum to 10 years old, if that helps.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

25 here! Looks like I am on the older part of the bell curve : o

(btw, the COPPA is a US law; it certainly does not apply to Norwegian people accessing a website hosted in France)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Ayin wrote: (btw, the COPPA is a US law; it certainly does not apply to Norwegian people accessing a website hosted in France)
Good point, although I administer the website, and I reside in the US, and until recently the forums were hosted in the US.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

wobbegong wrote: Play a lot of boardgames (mainly european, was married to a german speaker for some years, so got Settlers Of Catan before it even had an english publisher (before it won any awards even). Used to play kingmaker, and tabletop wargames a fair amount. Not so much now, but I still dust off some things from time to time. I've won wargames competitions (including a UK national - which I only entered to make up the numbers, and nothing could make me defend the title
Well you certainly have a much richer gaming background than me! :)
wobbegong wrote: [too many players were so serious about everything!]), but really prefer to have fun.
This is a big reason why I like playing against the AI. Playing against other humans ends up with people getting too competitive and then too serious.

Even when I play multiplayer games, I like playing them co-operatively against the AI, most of the time. Li'sar loves to play Wesnoth this way too :)
wobbegong wrote: BTW - there are 2 of us in York (actually both at the University - I work there, the Jeremy is in the middle of exams...Good Luck!) , and Sithrandel in Sheffield, anyone else in this area, as I'm thinking of trying to arrange a get together sometime in a month or so? (Or anyone else who goes to UK SF conventions? I'm around every Easter and some other cons...)
Some local Wesnoth get-togethers could be good :)

You could consider consider trying to make it to Bordeaux for the LSM to meet up with even more Wesnoth developers and players.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
wobbegong

Post by wobbegong »

Dave wrote: Well you certainly have a much richer gaming background than me! :)
Well I've had considerably longer to practice... The nearest I've ever got to coding is perl scripts for a PBeM I run, and a load of shell scripts for my work as sysadmin... (learnt perl for sysadmin, but tend to just use csh anyway... but for parsing and manipulating databases for PBeM game perl is great!)
dave wrote: Even when I play multiplayer games, I like playing them co-operatively against the AI, most of the time. Li'sar loves to play Wesnoth this way too :)
I'd most likely play the same way. Play a fair amount of Age Of Empires (and derivatives) one my small home lan like that. Most people I know prefer RTS to TBS so my TBS tends to be a solo activity :( - one reason to try to find out how many people are inmy geographic area...
dave wrote: Some local Wesnoth get-togethers could be good :)

You could consider consider trying to make it to Bordeaux for the LSM to meet up with even more Wesnoth developers and players.
Assuming we get something together will probably drop a mention in the forum somewhere. No sure I can make Bordeaux, I'm not good on ferries...

Cheers,

Tim.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

wobbegong wrote: Well I've had considerably longer to practice... The nearest I've ever got to coding is perl scripts for a PBeM I run
I'm really not sure why people think Perl "isn't coding". Perl is a pretty cool language :)
wobbegong wrote:
dave wrote: Even when I play multiplayer games, I like playing them co-operatively against the AI, most of the time. Li'sar loves to play Wesnoth this way too :)
I'd most likely play the same way. Play a fair amount of Age Of Empires (and derivatives) one my small home lan like that. Most people I know prefer RTS to TBS so my TBS tends to be a solo activity :( - one reason to try to find out how many people are inmy geographic area...
Ugh. I really don't like most RTSs. (Though for my ideas for RTSs that'd be actually fun see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1762).

Li'sar and I do actually play with people online quite often -- Wesnoth is very low on its bandwidth usage -- we generally solicit games on #wesnoth/irc.wesnoth.org if you or anyone is interested in playing with us :)

David
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Well with the age of Seventeen now I'm one of the younger people around, but luckily not the youngest.
Last edited by Neoriceisgood on November 15th, 2005, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

I'm amazed that Turin and Neorice are so young.
I feel immature now. =(

-Shundread, 21
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Well with the age of sixteen I'm one of the younger people around, but luckily not the youngest.
What's so lucky about that?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Dave wrote:Li'sar and I do actually play with people online quite often -- Wesnoth is very low on its bandwidth usage -- we generally solicit games on #wesnoth/irc.wesnoth.org if you or anyone is interested in playing with us :)

David
Speaking of IRC - any chance we could get that IRC-through-Java link added to the menu bar up top?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote:
Dave wrote:Li'sar and I do actually play with people online quite often -- Wesnoth is very low on its bandwidth usage -- we generally solicit games on #wesnoth/irc.wesnoth.org if you or anyone is interested in playing with us :)

David
Speaking of IRC - any chance we could get that IRC-through-Java link added to the menu bar up top?
Sure, if ettin wants to do it. He's the website guy.

David
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

When I first saw this thread, I thought "What's 'Age of Wesnoth'?"
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

24 years old. And I suffer from a lack of strategic oversight and a strong desire not to lose.. Addicted to saved games and elven units. :P
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Iam 18...Started to play Wesnoth whit 16-17...love this game...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Alpha

Age Poll

Post by Alpha »

Well, seeing as I'm only 13, I guess I'm classified as one of the youngest users. I've played RPGs for since I was like 8 though. Stuff like Avernum and Nethergate. I've always loved those games! Wesnoth is definitely up there in my list of "Awesome RPG Games". :D
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)