Age of Wesnoth Players

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How old are you?

12-15
18%
16-19
22%
20-23
18%
24-27
17%
28-31
10%
32-35
6%
36-39
5%
40+
5%

Total votes: 730

powershot

Re: Age of Wesnoth Players

Post by powershot »

Category 1.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Damn, I've got kids older than some of the mainline contributors.

Way to make a man feel young, and virile!
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Wow, now I don't feel so young anymore! Upper categories. Or so.

Frankly I would never have realised that many of these fellows were so young! It's really flattering to our forum. :)
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Boldek wrote:Wow, now I don't feel so young anymore! Upper categories. Or so.

Frankly I would never have realised that many of these fellows were so young! It's really flattering to our forum. :)
Bear in mind though that this poll dates back to 2004, so the majority of the stats are severely outdated. I'm tempted to start a new poll on this topic, just to see how/whether the age groups have changed. I for one am now one choice above what I was when I voted in this poll, and I imagine a lot of others find themselves in similar situations.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

I do find it disquieting though that they made only one category for 40+ (where I find myself).
And even that one is rather sparsely populated. Makes me wonder whether I'm about to suddenly lose ability/interest to play wesnoth due to old age :hmm:
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

friar tuck wrote:Makes me wonder whether I'm about to suddenly lose ability/interest to play wesnoth due to old age :hmm:
I think you'll rather lose interest in participating in forum polls. ;-)
Joram

Post by Joram »

This thread is unquestionably a member of the undead faction. The ancient dead, in fact.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

This thread is necro'd kinda regularly. People have been posting here every year except 2007.

Now that I'm here - I'm 15.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

artisticdude wrote:I'm tempted to start a new poll on this topic, just to see how/whether the age groups have changed. I for one am now one choice above what I was when I voted in this poll, and I imagine a lot of others find themselves in similar situations.
If you do, is it possible to have polls time out in this forum? If so, you could make the poll only open for ~6 months, so for the sake of curiosity, it would be a good snapshot of the average age of the wesnoth forums' users in 2011-2012, not just a big, imprecise 7 year mess (no offense to the original creator of this topic). If such a poll was made every year or so, it could be used for kinda unimportant but funny stats about the community aging over time.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I can make it so that users may change their votes. Is this acceptable?
powershot

Post by powershot »

Seconded, or agreed.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Gambit wrote:I can make it so that users may change their votes. Is this acceptable?
Well, I just did it. Gambit, I hope that you won't mind! :P
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Gambit wrote:I can make it so that users may change their votes. Is this acceptable?
Well, I just did it. Gambit, I hope that you won't mind! :P
Hmm, I can't seem to figure out how to re-vote. There are no visible buttons that allow you change anything, and clicking on any of the options doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? :hmm:

Personally, I'd still prefer it if we could start a fresh poll, since the vast majority of those who voted in this poll won't bother to change their vote (and a number, if not even a majority, of those voters don't frequent the forums any more anyway, or do so very rarely), so the data would still be outdated. I'd be more interested to learn the ages of the current generation of Wesnoth players through a time-limited poll that would close in a year or so, rather than running for six or seven years.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

friar tuck wrote:I do find it disquieting though that they made only one category for 40+ (where I find myself).
And even that one is rather sparsely populated. Makes me wonder whether I'm about to suddenly lose ability/interest to play wesnoth due to old age :hmm:
Uh-oh, please not to worry about your age. Wesnoth is not designed just for young players. I think that many users who are over 40 years old have not voted much on this topic. So the actual number is more than 5%, I guess...

But as you mentioned, we should probably add something like 40-44, 45-49, 50-59, and 60+ ..., shouldn't we ? This thread was started in 2004, so some people are 6-7 years older since then, so... ( a bit different issue though...)

P.S. AFAIK, there are at least three UMC creators who are around 50 years old in this community.
In addition, I know some registered players who are over 60 years old.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

SkyOne wrote:we should probably add something like 40-44, 45-49, 50-59, and 60+ ..., shouldn't we ?
Why would we want to do that? 40 is sooo old! Most of those geezers are probably too feeble to turn on a computer, if they even knew what one was. They certainly don't get the hip youth culture of Wesnoth. Can't touch this. 8)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects