Getting Wesnoth 1.2.6 on FC5

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

commanderkeen

Getting Wesnoth 1.2.6 on FC5

Post by commanderkeen »

Hi, got Linux working online recently and I found that the most recent Wesnoth rpm for fc5 is 1.2.4. I was wondering, would the fc6/7 Wesnoth releases work under fc5? Or must I compile Wesnoth 1.2.6? Or, would I be better off emulating it under Wine, thus saving me 3 hours of DL time (but then again, emulating Wesnoth seems really really stupid :P )
Or should I consider getting a more recent Linux distro?

To all Windows-only users:Linux is cool! Although emulating windows apps looks really wierd. But who cares! Linux comes with everything you need! (except Wesnoth, in my case...)
DDR

yeah

Post by DDR »

I am a dual-boot user. Windows 98 is my default, because most of my programs work better on it. Linux I like to use for art, and word processing.

Linux rocks because of the multiple screen thing. That, alone, is enough to convert.

Also, you can use a virtual machine to run windows if you like it, as a dual-boot system is... cumbersome. :P
longhair

Post by longhair »

I can't speak for Fedora Core specifically, but games with a release cycle that doesn't coincide with a distro release tend to get updated late if never. This isn't the fault of the game, it's just how it goes. This is why WINE has it's own repository for some distros. Ubuntu, for example is several releases behind. Ubuntu 7.04 is still stuck at 1.2.5.

Simply downloading a later release might work, or you might end up in RPM hell. I took a quick look around DAG, dries and extras repositories, and they're all 1.2.4 for FC5. It might be a good idea to simply compile it. Once you've got all the dependencies (and there aren't too many), it probably won't be a big deal to compile it again once the next stable release comes out, assuming you're staying with FC5.

I personally wouldn't mess with WINE, but maybe it would work. Seems kinda pointless though.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Thanks. I suppose I'll compile it then. Or I could just not use Linux for anything, but hey! I gave it a 50GB partition! It's cool! etc. etc.

Compiling Wesnoth... the final frontier. I hope it's not too hard :wink:
I'm used to programming but not in Linux. Hopefully the wiki page on compiling is up-to-date and reliable.

Virtual Machines? are there free ones availible? The only VM I found was rather expensive. They sure sound cool though...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

commanderkeen wrote:Thanks. I suppose I'll compile it then. Or I could just not use Linux for anything, but hey! I gave it a 50GB partition! It's cool! etc. etc.

Compiling Wesnoth... the final frontier. I hope it's not too hard :wink:
I'm used to programming but not in Linux. Hopefully the wiki page on compiling is up-to-date and reliable.

Virtual Machines? are there free ones availible? The only VM I found was rather expensive. They sure sound cool though...
Look for QEMU. With the KQEMU module it becomes a true VM, although it's slightly unstable for Windows 98 right now. WinXP SP2 does work fine there. Contact me in any case you've got to need help. I'm all ears.

Compiling Wesnoth is piece of cake once you install the required "development"* packages with your favorite package manager (fedora core ships with one IIRC).

* compiling applications in Linux don't mean you must be able to program. More like, that starts exercising your mind for real programming.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
longhair

Post by longhair »

Here's the wiki guide to installing: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CompilingWesnoth It's got a short list of dependencies, so make sure you have them installed. One thing to remember is that even if you have say, lib-sdl installed, you also need a package something like lib-sdl-devel installed also. The *-devel packages are for people compiling from source code. You'll also need the usual build tools such as make, gcc, g++, libtool, autoconf, etc

If you've never compiled from source code before, it's not too hard, but it might be a good idea to read a tutorial about it somewhere.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I've compiled stuff under windows, but I'm not used to having to DL dependencies and dev packages. It won't overwork my dialup connection too much, will it?

I just hope that as soon as I compile 1.2.6, 1.2.7 doesn't come out :lol:
longhair

Post by longhair »

Oh, one little gotcha that I encountered this evening when my wife and I sat down to play a private game on our LAN. No server!

When you go to configure it, use:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-server
It looks like there are several other options too, so make sure you read through the INSTALL file in your tarball.

FWIW, I just installed one of the "Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon" test releases, and it has the latest version (for the moment :))
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, I don't play network games because of lack of people to play with, but I do campaign stuff, so I always build Wesnoth with:

./configure --enable-editor --enable-tools
make
su -c "make install"
When I really install it. Otherwise, I run it from the source directory with:

./src/wesnoth .
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.