Need advice: How to accept losing units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TL

Post by TL »

I have to agree that the random factor is ocassionally annoying and that The Rise of Wesnoth is frustratingly difficult towards the end, but:
8307c4 wrote:It should be a 1 in a million chance that a level 1 defeats a level 4, come on now, gimme a break.
Why? If this was the case, it seems it would be pretty pointless to ever have any scenario in which level 4 and level 1 units encounter each other. What's the point of letting units get that powerful?
playtom

Post by playtom »

if you don't like to lost any of your good units then do the following:

1.play games in easy difficulty. i've personally gone through all mainline campaigns without losing a single good units in easy :)

2.don't recall leveled units(recruit bunch of lvl 1s)

3.if you're going to use lvl 3 units, make sure you have alot of them, i simply overwhelm the enemy at a point with dozens of royal guards and mage of light in a scenario. (you get the thrill of defeating inferior enemys at the same time won't be killed :wink: )

at last but not least, strategy matters in this game. if you're an experienced player, you know how to play a scenario and so, which means its unlike you'll lose your good units because you know to shield them and how to effectively use all of your units to the full extend of it.
evolved around the confined environment, emotions, knowledge and events mixed into my life, mere mortal am i, trying to climb higher up the ladder, time passes, just then i realized, death will part me eventually. - playtom's philosophy
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

- Turn of the autosave. Not being able to go back and reload helps a lot regarding your acceptance of loses.

- Dont hold back your frustation curse and cry. But i dont recommend to punch your 22" TFT or throw your 500$ I phone

- Seek condolence from your girlfriend and wife... "Sob Konrad died"... cry...after a positive feedback from your understanding girlfriend you will see loses in Wesnot as soemthing positive.
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Sombra wrote:Seek condolence from your girlfriend and wife
A girfriend AND a wife AND having time to play wesnoth? Impossible.
just blame it on the rng when you lose
Firense

Post by Firense »

I exactly know this feeling, if you really need the best way to accept it?
Play the campaign: The Eastern Invasion.
This is where I learned to accept losing units :P (Lost 2 Iron Maulers (1 holy), 2 Royal Guards (1 holy), 1 Arch Mage, 1 Mage of Light)
I tried to do it over and over again and even recruiting 2 castles full of Cavalrymen didnt seem to stop them.
Needless to say I cant beat the next scenario now
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I only regret losing special units I added into the script so that I could have drakes on my team while playing HttT :cry:
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Ah... I just had another idea:

1. get on the MP server, now. See that it happens to other people, too! :D

2. find other victims, and form an interest group (self-help group).

3. get enough funding together so we can pay a full-time social-worker / nurse / priest to stay logged onto the MP server and care for traumatised players.

:lol:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i had a traumatic childhood. they made me play wesnoth. they made me watch my little friends die. :cry:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

8307c4 wrote:...but it's quite another when it never hits the enemy even once and yet the enemy manages to strike 4 severely damaging blows in return, to where I can be fighting a level 1 saurian 16hp with my level 4 Great mage 97hp during the day, and in 1 stroke of sheer bad luck the saurian wipes out my hard earned character...

It should be a 1 in a million chance that a level 1 defeats a level 4, come on now, gimme a break.
At 97 HP, it'll take the Saurian at least four turns to kill your Great Mage even if it hits on every attack.

And let's see... the chances of a Great Mage missing every attack in four turns is about 1 in twenty-six billion.

Your story is a bit exaggerated.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I only regret losing Elvish Druid or Shyde units, Shadows or Nightgaunts, or Spectres. Noone else. (See the relation with my avatar?)

I usually send certain units I dislike (i.e. Lancer, Deathblade, Javelineer, Elvish Hero) to suicidal attacks, but for some stupid unknown reason, they just are not willing to die when I want. :evil:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

I've noticed that my daughter tends to care about female units and tries to level them, but shows little regret if a male guy gets slaughtered. I really wonder why...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Perhaps because it's she. In my case, the behaviour applies only to these two female units, because I think they are cute, nothing else.

And the mentioned undead units, of course. Albeit you can't tell whether they are female or male, you know.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

I know this is off-topic, and should I get flamed I really deserve it.

I've also noticed that male players tend to whine about the traits of their recruits, tell you at great length how much they s*ck, how often this kind of disaster usually happens to them (nearly always) and how depressed they are.
Female players look at the names of their units, how funny they are (especially the dwarven names), giggle and seem to have much more fun than we serious guys. (Hint: this may help you to figure out the gender of your MP opponent!)

EDIT: There's an exception to this rule: some male (female?) players care about the names of their units and rename them all to HODOR. You better know what that means.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Play Aragwaith from the extended era. You'll soon be cured from this problem.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

hjwn wrote:I know this is off-topic, and should I get flamed I really deserve it.

I've also noticed that male players tend to whine about the traits of their recruits, tell you at great length how much they s*ck, how often this kind of disaster usually happens to them (nearly always) and how depressed they are.
Female players look at the names of their units, how funny they are (especially the dwarven names), giggle and seem to have much more fun than we serious guys. (Hint: this may help you to figure out the gender of your MP opponent!)

EDIT: There's an exception to this rule: some male (female?) players care about the names of their units and rename them all to HODOR. You better know what that means.
<Flame>

On the topic though, I have never had major problem because for the most part I veiw lvled combat units as being expenable the olny ones I will restart to save are, healers, leaders, mages, unreplaceable units such as the iron maulers in TRoW. If I lose enough lvled combat units (depending on lengnth of campain) I will consiter restarting.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."