Wesnoth Tips

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Wesnoth Tips

Post by Dave »

I've added the 'tip of the day' feature Li'sar suggested here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1678

A screenshot is attached.

It'd be great if in this thread people could suggest tips that could go into the 'tip of the day'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
AT

Post by AT »

Dawn and Dusk are neither night nor day; no units get bonuses.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

"Whatever terrain your units are on determines what chance your opponents have of hitting you in battle. To find out this information, select "unit description" and "defense"."

How's that? :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Poisoned units lose hitpoints every turn but they will not die from only poison as they will be left with at least one hitpoint.
Integral

Post by Integral »

"You can use units from a previous scenario by selecting "Recall" from the Game menu. By recalling the same units over and over, you can build up a powerful and experienced army."

I know it seems basic -- but when I started playing, I spent a while trying to figure out how the %#*@ I was supposed to win when the enemies kept getting more powerful and my units didn't.

Daniel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

"All units have a Zone of Control in each of the hexes next to them. If a unit moves into an enemy's Zone of Control, it may not move any further that turn."

"The chance to hit a unit usually depends on how well that unit can defend itself in the terrain it is standing in, however magical attacks always have a 70% chance to hit, and marksman attacks have at least 60% chance to hit."

"Units stationed in villages heal 8 hitpoints at the beginning of their turn."

"Units that do not move during their turn rest, and will recover 2 hitpoints at the beginning of their next turn."

"Most foot units defend better in villages and castles than in most other terrain, while most mounted units don't get any defensive advantage in villages and castles."

"Horse based units are generally resistant to attacks with bladed or impact attacks, but are vulnerable to attacks with piercing weapons, including bows and spears."

"Inflicting the killing blow on an enemy unit is the best way to gain experience. Units killing an enemy will gain 8 experience for every level of the unit they kill."

"Elvish units move and fight very well in forest, as it's their preferred terrain."
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Edit: "Elvish units move and fight very well in forest, as it's their preferred terrain. Likewise Dwarves fight well in mountains"

What are orcs preferred terrain? I seem to remember they are good in mountains too.

"When attacking an opponent you can click the "damage calculations" button to see how armor, the time of day and other factors affect the damage you and your opponent will do with each type of attack"
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

Maybe some battle tactics?

"Under bad conditions, it is often a good move to not attack enemies that hit back, just wait until the conditions improve."

"If you are attacked from several directions, it may be a good idea to send expendable units in some directions to delay the enemy movement."

"Do not be afraid to retreat and regroup, it is often the key to victory."

And maybe:

"The turn bonus you get at the end of a scenario is dependent on the number of villages on the map. You will never earn more money through capturing villages and waiting until the turns run out." (A think I have wondered about :) I think this is true, at least..)
dagaz

Post by dagaz »

These are excellent. I've been playing the game for about about a month now and finally feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of it (made it through both Crossroads and Princess Revenge without too much major damage - both would have seemed virtually impossible only a week ago) - yet I got some really good tips from reading through these.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

"Your leader can recruit or recall units from any keep inside a castle, not just the keep they start on. You can capture a keep from an enemy and recruit on that, and some of your allies may be willing to make room for you on their keep so you can recruit there."

"Skeletons are resistant to piercing and bladed attacks, but vulnerable to impact, fire, and holy attacks."

"Units with leadership ability make lower level adjacent units on the same side fight better."

"Generally avoid moving next to an unoccupied village. An enemy unit may move onto the village and attack you, while enjoying the defense and healing of the village."
erl
Inactive Developer

Post by erl »

"Holding the mouse cursor on an ability or trait shows a description of that ability or trait"

I have seen quite a bunch of questions that could have been answered if the user had just tried this.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Perhaps these tips should be broken up into categories like: User Interface, Tactics, etc...
wobbegong

Post by wobbegong »

"Use lines of units to screen injured units to let them recover"

"Read the hotkeys list in the preference menu"

"You can see how far enemy units can move by selecting them"

"Use healers to support your attacks - they will win you battles without needing to attack anything themselves"

"Holy Units are lethal to undead"

"Units are healed when they advance a level - used wisely this can turn a fight"

"You get most XP for the killing blow"

"Charging units are best used against enemies they can kill with a single blow"
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

"Serieses of units three spaces apart will block enemies due to their zones of control."

"You may not want to level your units immediately, in order to save up their full heal for later."
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

"series of units, two hexes apart along the grain, prevent more than two non-skirmishing units from attacking any one unit in the line (until one is killed)"