Your reaction when you first played Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Your reaction when you first played Wesnoth

Post by Blarumyrran »

what was your reaction when you first played Wesnoth?

mine was, like, "oh god, not another anime game..." when i played the tutorial.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Your reaction when you first played Wesnoth

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Syntax_Error wrote:what was your reaction when you first played Wesnoth?
Here was my first reaction:

"If this unit has a ranged attack, why can't I shoot from a distance? What am I doing wrong? Why can't I figure this out?

"Oh."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Interestingly enough, I never once considered the whole range issue until I saw others mention it.

I think my first impression was me getting my tail whipped and wanting to save/load a bunch because I didn't understand terrain defense.
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Ken Oh wrote:Interestingly enough, I never once considered the whole range issue until I saw others mention it.

I think my first impression was me getting my tail whipped and wanting to save/load a bunch because I didn't understand terrain defense.
Same here!
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

My reaction:
"OMG, these SDL-based GPL'ed games rock!!"
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

"Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't... Hey, this actually doesn't suck!"

I had been previously jaded against turn-based-strategy games by the GBA version of Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

"Reminds me of Warsong!"

Because of that game, the ranged weapons thing didn't throw me at all.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Simons Mith

Awww, cute!

Post by Simons Mith »

My overriding impression was how cute all the little soldiers are. I still love the game for this reason.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I didn't expect much when i tried it out: it was just another of the numerous free games or demos i've tried. I was pretty bewildered when i started out with the first level of HttT. I believe it took several tries before i made it through. I guess i liked something about it.

Then i made a new signpost graphic, and found these forums...
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darn Penguin

Re: Awww, cute!

Post by Darn Penguin »

Simons Mith wrote:My overriding impression was how cute all the little soldiers are. I still love the game for this reason.
They really look like a bunch of little children running around playing war games.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

I was installing some of the games in stock Debian, and after trying a bunch, spending on average about 1 minute on each, my expectations were really low when I started up Wesnoth. Played through the tutorial, through HttT, ..., and well, I'm still here, years later :P

Oh, and my first expression was that it reminded me of some other TBS game which I played on the PC once, never could find out its name though.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My reaction - how the hell am I supposed to attack?

See, this was back in the day 1) before an in-depth tutorial and 2) before you could move and attack in the same turn. So, I saw that the way to attack had something to do with moving next to the enemy, but there was no way to do it in one click. And I'd gotten used to the Heroes of Might and Magic way of doing it, where once you make a move, your turn is over. So I kept moving my guys next to the enemies and they ending my turn, because I didn't know they could do anything else. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I learned with Wesnoth 0.9.6's tutorial. That version of wesnoth was included with SUSE Linux 10.0.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My very first reacton from reading the gameplay mechanics was this game sounds neat if they worked it right, my first reaction actualy playing was that it felt wierd for ranged attacks to not have range (especialy when you are used to playing sqad leader where most attacks have a fairly large maximum range. My reaction after playing awhile was they did it right this is neat.

After finishing the toutorial and the first two lvls I went and played a multiplayer game against the cumputer. I lost as the undead vs the knalgans. I then played a game against the computer as each race and won all except the time I tried drakes. By this point I had figured out some of the weaknesses of the AI and I figured I might want to beat the campains before playing against a human.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."