My "worst unit" award

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Beholder

My "worst unit" award

Post by Beholder »

The Best Unit was fun, but for every winner there is a loser, and to keep the balance of forces on the forum, I bring the "worst unit" award thread.

Worst Scout - Bat

The bat is just too weak to have any value. He can die on a single round and, when helping finishing a weakened unit, can die in the process. Having the Ghost on the same faction doesn't help...

Worst Ranged - Drake BURNED (edited)

Now, I don't think the Clasher is a horrible unit, it just it's combination of high price and weakness to pierce which doesn't appeal me.

Worst Melee - Orcish Grunt

Again, I don't think it is terrible. But the lack of ranged make it look inferior to other factions counterparts. At least Dwarven Fighters are good versus Undead and resistant to some kind of damage.

Worst Caster - Mage

Too expensive, too hard to level. I only make then when I need to (i.e. to kill elusivefooties or ghosts)

SPECIAL Worst Tank - Heavy Infantary

This guy -never- is where is supposed to be. Sometimes, a unit 2 hexagons always is inacessible. To make things worse, he is vulnerable to fire and ice, making one of the easier to tanks to kill. To complete the deal, a price tag of 20.

He is, imho, the worst unit of the game.
Last edited by Beholder on May 2nd, 2007, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

...Dude, you might wanna rethink your "Worst Ranged" choice. I don't think that counts, or else it ties with a few other units. Like trolls or your "Worst Melee" choice.

You forgot to add to the Bat: "As a level 0 unit, it also lacks a Zone of Control, so its great movement doesn't even allow it to be used as a sacrifice unit to temporarily hold a distant gap in the front line."

Can't say I agree with the "Worst Melee" choice. (Judging by your "Worst Ranged" choice, I'd have to say the Dark Adept, really...) Orcish Grunts are cheaper than most other melee units, which makes them good in my book. And I like their HP for that price. Really, I'd have to say all units which are intended to be offensive melee units are pretty much balanced.

Mages level quite well, even if it's sometimes difficult to make them do so. Can't agree. I'd rank Dark Adepts well below Mages.

I wouldn't call the Heavy Infantryman the worst unit of the game, but he's probably the worst tank, sure. Trolls are the best tanks.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

. . .Drake Clasher doesn't even have a ranged attack :?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have mine listed in the best unit topic. I think mine were more humerouse because I was not being seriouse. Your choices are somewhat confusing. Clashers arn't weak agaisnt peirce, and they don't have a ranged attack at all. There is no way grunts could be your worst melle, granted they arn't great but they are much better than, any artilery type unit, the lvl 0 units, and others. I don't think there is a worst caster, all of them are useful. As for you worst tank, heavy infantry are pretty good at being a tank, their speed is a problem but you don't need a whole lot of speed to sit in the front line and soak up damage (and he costs 19). You realy, realy should do your homework before making posts like this.

(I find it somewhat wierd that you think that heavy infantry are more useless than things like bats)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Velensk wrote:(I find it somewhat wierd that you think that heavy infantry are more useless than things like bats)
Seriously :?
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Bats, worse as they are, can still function as Scouts.

Good movement, flying.. it's all there. Having no ZoC, or damage, or staying power sucks, but he can works as a peeping eye (and just that) whitout that. I frankly think the biggest crime of the Bat is the high price tag.

The HI is too slow to defend my troops when needed. He seens to be away from where he would be. God forbid the fight is on anything but grassland or he need to cross a river.

On this sense, HI fail more then the Bat. I can use the bat to open terrain or grab undefended village. I can't use the HI to defend my troops because he just can't reach then in a timely fashion.

The problem of the HI isn't the movement, but being slowed by almost anything but grasslands.
unsung

Post by unsung »

Uhh.. maybe you should do what I do and NOT let the faster units outpace the heavy infantry?

Anything else is sheer foolishness.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:| Ugh. The only thing I (partially) agree with here is the bat.
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

unsung wrote:Uhh.. maybe you should do what I do and NOT let the faster units outpace the heavy infantry?

Anything else is sheer foolishness.
Ok... let's say reinforcements are need on a specific point of the map. Should my whole army follow the slowpoke?
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

...Dude! You fixed your first post by calling the Drake Burner the worst ranged unit?! That's my favorite Drake unit, really.

PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Worst scout: HI

Worst archer: HI

Worst caster: HI

Worst fighter: DA

Thus worst unit ever: HI
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Ultimatum479 wrote:...Dude! You fixed your first post by calling the Drake Burner the worst ranged unit?! That's my favorite Drake unit, really.
I don't like Burners weakness to pierce / cold. It put then low on my list.

Like I said, I don't think Burner is a -bad- unit, I just find other units fill better the role.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

PingPangQui wrote:Worst archer: HI
That makes no sense.

unsung

Post by unsung »

Ever heard of a fighting retreat?

Its simple- you pull back in short bursts, stop, an dfight, and repeat.
In wesnoth, is even easier- all you have to do is move away, and the rest happens on its own.
In other words, don't sit and wait for them.

And if you are going to need them, get them BEFORE it gets critical.

I'm getting off topic, so I'm done here.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Ultimatum479 wrote:
PingPangQui wrote:Worst archer: HI
That makes no sense.
Why is that?

HI (Heavy Infrantry) has the worst movetype combined with with very little mp, low defense and does 0-0 ranged damage and 0-0 magical damage. Which makes him at least a really bad archer, a really bad caster and definitely the worst scout.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.