Thoughts about 1.2

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

1.2 is WAY more complex then 1.0. Take a look at what campaigns or scenarios can achieve through WML in both versions and you'll see lots of difference. The visible gameplay is rather unchanged but under the hood there's much more room for special tweaks.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

Soliton wrote:It's not constructive if you just repeat the same thing over and over without giving details when you're asked for them.
Sorry... which details? I must have overlooked the request you're talking about. I'll gladly give details.

If it seems I'm repeating the same thing, it's only beause at start I didn't feel people understood what my point was. My point was not that I simply felt the game should be faster. My point was that it seemed as if it had become slower and that I thought it was a shame if more demanding graphics took away gameplay experience for people more into the pure strategic aspects.
So I suggested that if the new graphics and animations were the reason, then there might be a "light" theme.
Kirdan wrote:I may look better in 1.2, but it just "feel" better to play 1.0/1.1.
Why not do that then? 1.0 is a finished game and apparently you don't see much of a difference anyway.
I can understand that you think I'm just [censored]. I'm sorry to hear that.
Honerstly I don't think it's a very constructive suggestion. Personally I would think it was weird if people would have to upgrade to powerfull hardware to play a recent version of a non-3D turnbased game like wesnoth. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not the goal of Wesnoth to be playable on avarage sized machines like mine. I don't know - tell me.
But if it is the goal, then I'm just pointing out that playing 1.2.1 feel clearly slower than 1.1. 1.1 was snappy. 1.2 makes me wait for updates and click the wrong places. If that not intentional I'll gladly provide details when asked. If that's just the way the game is heading, then so be it. I just thought I wanted to point it out.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kirdan wrote:Maybe it's not the goal of Wesnoth to be playable on avarage sized machines like mine. I don't know - tell me.
That is a goal, yes. Not a very well reached one yet, but still.
Kirdan wrote:But if it is the goal, then I'm just pointing out that playing 1.2.1 feel clearly slower than 1.1. 1.1 was snappy. 1.2 makes me wait for updates and click the wrong places. If that not intentional I'll gladly provide details when asked. If that's just the way the game is heading, then so be it. I just thought I wanted to point it out.
I think these unfortunate issues are pretty well-known. If people feel annoyed, it's probably just because they've heard the same thing several times already.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Kirdan wrote:
Soliton wrote:It's not constructive if you just repeat the same thing over and over without giving details when you're asked for them.
Sorry... which details? I must have overlooked the request you're talking about. I'll gladly give details.
The question i was trying to ask earlier (though, i admit it wasn't as clear as it should be) is, "How is XP/HP harder to see?"
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kirdan

Post by Kirdan »

Eleazar wrote:The question i was trying to ask earlier (though, i admit it wasn't as clear as it should be) is, "How is XP/HP harder to see?"
Ohh...
With the old graphics you could pretty easily se on a unit how close it was to leveling or how close it was to dying, without holding the mouse over it and looking at the info. With the new graphics some of the units have features behind the bars, so it has become difficult to get an estimate of the value. The sword of the elvish fighter for instance sometimes makes it look like it is close to leveling.
This is of course totally unrelated to the speed issue.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Kirdan wrote:The sword of the elvish fighter for instance sometimes makes it look like it is close to leveling.
This has been bothering me a LOT indeed ^^
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that we should try making some objective measurements of the speed of 1.0 vs 1.2.1 (not 1.2, since it had a specific performance problem), and if 1.2.1 is indeed significantly slower we should work out why and see if it can be fixed....

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Gus wrote:
Kirdan wrote:The sword of the elvish fighter for instance sometimes makes it look like it is close to leveling.
This has been bothering me a LOT indeed ^^
I hate that too. That kind of problem existed in 1.0 IIRC, but different units might be involved. Hopefully my proposal to fix it will be implemented before the next major release.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Imp

Post by Imp »

Eleazar wrote:
Gus wrote: This has been bothering me a LOT indeed ^^
I hate that too. That kind of problem existed in 1.0 IIRC, but different units might be involved. Hopefully my proposal to fix it will be implemented before the next major release.
It pisses off at least 4 of us. :-)
Kokoba

Post by Kokoba »

Kirdan wrote:
Eleazar wrote:The question i was trying to ask earlier (though, i admit it wasn't as clear as it should be) is, "How is XP/HP harder to see?"
Ohh...
With the old graphics you could pretty easily se on a unit how close it was to leveling or how close it was to dying, without holding the mouse over it and looking at the info. With the new graphics some of the units have features behind the bars, so it has become difficult to get an estimate of the value. The sword of the elvish fighter for instance sometimes makes it look like it is close to leveling.
This is of course totally unrelated to the speed issue.
HP bars don't even exist for me. I can mouse over the units for information, sure, but...

But I'm hoping that'll be fixed once I uninstall my old Wesnoth and manually install the latest .deb packages.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
truffant

Post by truffant »

i just wanted to add that i downloaded Wesnoth 1.1 to try and play the Fall of Silvium which is actually broken on 1.2.1.
I rapidly stopped playing 1.1 because 1.2.1 is so much more pleasing to the eye. 8)
Airk

Post by Airk »

I'm really enjoying 1.2.1 (well, uh, technically I think I'm still on 1.2.0, but whatever.). It is a -little- slower on my admittedly pretty high end machine, but mostly in situations where there are a ton of units in play (It was really noticable on, say, HTTT - Valley of Death where there were about a billion walking corpses. Though oddly, the delay tended to take place right -before- it was my turn again. Wacky.).

The swords of the elvish fighters really do get kinda annoying though. ;P
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Just wait for 1.2.2 which should be considerably faster in some places.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Strangelove

Post by Strangelove »

On some units, it is difficult to see the graphical XP display (although it's a moment's work to highlight the unit). The problem is the position of swords and so on, some are right behind the XP bar and you can't really tell how high the bar is. Just a note.