Changing "player" name?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MikeMcGuire

Changing "player" name?

Post by MikeMcGuire »

I'm new to Wesnoth and am playing multiplayer mostly on my home LAN. My upstairs computer hosts, and I'd like to change my name from "player" to something else such that the chats, especially, are labelled differently. How do I do this, please?
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

On the Multiplayer Menu (the one with Official Server, Hotseat, Human vs AI etc), there is a bar at the top where you can type whatever name you'd like to use.
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Inigo Montoya wrote:On the Multiplayer Menu (the one with Official Server, Hotseat, Human vs AI etc), there is a bar at the top where you can type whatever name you'd like to use.
Not for me... if i type any other name other than mine, it says=

"the username is invalid"

WTF?
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

You just aren't lucky. But not as unlucky as when you realize your "real username" is being used by someone who isn't you at all.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

You may only use letters (A-Z,a-z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_) in you username. Furthermore it may not be longer than 18 characters.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Tux2B wrote:You just aren't lucky. But not as unlucky as when you realize your "real username" is being used by someone who isn't you at all.
Yeah, I hate people who do that. I saw someone called commenderkeen and I thought: I'm not a "celebrity", Why does some #@$% person have to imitate my username?

18 Character limit? I didn't know that. Good idea though. But why can't your username contain spaces? Is it to do with the Wesnoth game engine?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

commanderkeen wrote:But why can't your username contain spaces?
It would cause problems with /msg /list addfriend etc.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

addfriend?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

commanderkeen wrote:
Tux2B wrote:You just aren't lucky. But not as unlucky as when you realize your "real username" is being used by someone who isn't you at all.
Yeah, I hate people who do that. I saw someone called commenderkeen and I thought: I'm not a "celebrity", Why does some #@$% person have to imitate my username?

18 Character limit? I didn't know that. Good idea though. But why can't your username contain spaces? Is it to do with the Wesnoth game engine?
1) In the place I come from, you'd be a celebrity. Believe me. :)
2) Yep, I have to login as "Shadow_Master", and I really don't like that underscore.

Addfriend? The only command I know that use usernames are kick and ban :?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

commanderkeen wrote:addfriend?
Um... It's in svn...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

commanderkeen wrote:
Err, but you're named the same as a celebrity (the star of numerous computer games). It's possible that someone's picked the same name as you without ever knowing you existed based on those games (it's not likely though).
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Then the guy who chose it misspelt it. He had an e instead of an o.

I look foward to new wesnoth developments, although I don't know how addfriend works, It would be nice to know whos online out of a group of people without checking all 100+ users
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

commanderkeen wrote:Then the guy who chose it misspelt it. He had an e instead of an o.

I look foward to new wesnoth developments, although I don't know how addfriend works, It would be nice to know whos online out of a group of people without checking all 100+ users
Yeah sometimes there are people who pick "your" name. It happened to me too. Unfortunately my usual group of players invited him into their games. He played like a NOOB, insulted the other players and I had to use another player name while I was online.
It was a little bit frustrating to be asked for days if I was the "real" one or the copycat.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I can complain, however, because I'm not a celebrity, As Far As I Know (tm).
I have googled my username (I use it in all the forum I'm registered for) and all I get are different people who call themselves "Shadow Master".

I thought I was very original when I invented the name, aproximadetely one year ago, but now I see that always, when I invent something, somebody has already invented it. :x

Fortunately, in all the forums where I registered, I haven't had the opportunity to fight against one of those random ShadowMasters.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.