Wesnoth Gamespied!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Njorhg

Wesnoth Gamespied!

Post by Njorhg »

For anyone who visits the site, you'll know that they have a feature in which they give weekly picks from the web-gaming market

This week features Wesnoth. You get honors too!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Why, oh why they used such an old version...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

And such a boring screenshot too.
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Hey good press is good press. Now if only Macworld US would pick it up...
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
new

Post by new »

Nice side ;).
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

Unfortunately I think it's anything else but good press. Clicking on the Download Now button opens a FilePlanet page where it says "Download Battle for Wesnoth Demo". It's a full game, licensed under GPL so it's not a demo as they say.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Chris7mas wrote:Unfortunately I think it's anything else but good press. Clicking on the Download Now button opens a FilePlanet page where it says "Download Battle for Wesnoth Demo". It's a full game, licensed under GPL so it's not a demo as they say.
I agree. While it does provide some mainstream exposure for Wesnoth's name (granted, from a washed-up game publication which no one takes seriously), it does a terrible job at giving an accurate depiction of what Wesnoth is.

Any publicity might be good publicity, but a bad or misconceived first impression does almost irreparable harm.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I wish he had spent as much time describing Wesnoth as he spent describing the woes of a game reviewer that must stay up too late.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

what is this crap

Too bad that particular article does not allow comments, or we could set the readers straight.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

What!? You guys don't like it? Am I really the only person here who is truly fascinated by in-depth analysis of the reviewers sleeping habits?

Wow.

:P
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Talked to the creator of the little report on wesnoth, and told him about the more later versions, etc.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

game spy said
The goal of the game is, quite simply, to wipe out the opponent. To achieve that lofty objective, you recruit various units (such as archers, swordsmen, spearmen and mages), capture towns to increase your economy, and take out the opponent's forces on the battlefield as you drive towards his keep to take on his commander.
This is probably the worst part of the summary. It misses one of the points of Wesnoth, which is the rich roleplaying and story telling aspect. Sure, in most multiplayer, that is the object.
But one of the great things about campaigns is how varied you can make the goal. The goal of a campaign could be to wipe out your forces. And anyone who has even played the first scenario of Heir to the Throne knows that the object is often to move to a location.
Anyway. Just saying...
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Wow, someone reviews wesnoth and says it is the type of game that will keep you up all night playing and everyone thinks it is terrible. Sure, he could have gone into more detail and a whole lot of other things, but consider the other reviews in the download this #34. All the reviews are really short. Not a lot of room for making detailed reviews. And yet, wesnoth not only got top billing, it was the only one that was mentioned in the intro! There is no pleasing some people.
Njorhg

Post by Njorhg »

Why they used such an old verision?
Probably because it is the "Stable" verision the entry page offers :p
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Njorhg wrote:Why they used such an old verision?
Probably because it is the "Stable" verision the entry page offers :p
Probably because, if my memory serves, when they first started the "download this" column and were seeking referals, version 1 of wesnoth had just been released, and whoever {:)} pointed them at wesnoth directed them at the latest release at the time. Assuming it has taken them this long to get to wesnoth (#34 with ~ three per column) and without assuming that they have rejected any (a very conservative estimate) demonstrates that they probably got a heck of a lot of suggestions.