Advance-Heal no heal?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SnowyRiver

Advance-Heal no heal?

Post by SnowyRiver »

Okay, I've spent some time nosing around the forums, and the documentation, and I haven't found any explanation of something that I've noticed. With certain units, I've found that they stop advancing. Oh, sure, they have an experience requirement, and when they reach that requirement they do their glowy thing, but they end up just the same as they were.

For the most part, I don't mind this too much, as this usually only seems to happen with relatively advanced units, but it's cost me several units when I'm expecting them to advance-heal, but they don't, and therefore are killed off (I've even had this happen to Delfador, which, of course, ended the game).

So, why is there a level restriction? Why isn't it mentioned? Why is there an indicated experience allotment for advancing, when there is no advancing?

I read elsewhere in these forums someone offer the argument that the fact that the player can recall much higher level units counts favorably against the AI's ability to recruit level 2 or level 3 units. This falls a little short when I haven't been able to advance any unit (except Delfador - level 5) past level 3.
-Snowy
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
SnowyRiver

Post by SnowyRiver »

Okay. Thanks. That explained part of it. But what about the fact that ALMA :?: doesn't give the Advance-Heal benefit? At the very least, this should be made much more apparent, as should the question of what the various max levels are, IMHO.
-Snowy
Gus

Post by Gus »

You can't know the "max level" from the beginning, but whenever you have a unit, you can know if it can advance or not. Just bring up the info screen with "d", and you'll see to what it can advance. If there's nothing, it means it cannot advance.

Also, AMLA (After Maximum Level Advancement - i'm not sure it's Advancement, it doesn't look like a real word to me but whatever) does not heal, i guess, because the whole deal is that levelling is mostly good, and AMLA is mostly a wait of XP. You should try to avoid AMLA.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

You can also look at the units XP bar. If it is white, it will level, if not (i think it's some kind of violet then) it will just AMLA.

I don't know if there is a special reason for AMLA not healing the unit. I guess it's just the way it is.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Desert Plah

Post by Desert Plah »

I've often fancifully wished (only at certain moments :twisted: ) that AMLA did heal my high-level units. I really don't think it's overpowering them too much, IMO. But I guess the common 3-point overall health uppage is enough.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

You can also use the dfool theme which has indicators for what type of amla the units can use:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =amla+icon

This feature never really caught on (for a few reasons) but the basic mechanism is there.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I wish it would at least heal them the three hitpoints that it added to their maximum health.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

AFAIK AMLA does heal the unit by the 3 points it adds... At least in version 1.0.1...
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

agreed. ALMA should atleast fully heal the unit, otherwise it's quite useless. then you have the decision to say "hey i can heal my unit by killing his grunt" rather than "crap how is he going to get to that village"

i can see where it would be useful.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Gus

Post by Gus »

As i've said before in the thread, i always assumed that it was a feature, not a bug, in that you should not feed XP to already advanced units.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

i realize it's unpractical to give experience to a lvld unit. if AMLA could lvl a unit, however, and your lvl 3 elvish avenger has only 13 hp, and is nearly going to AMLA, it would be helful if you could kill a lvl 1 and have a fully-healed unit.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I understand, i'm just saying it's meant to not be helpful, IMO =)
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I think the reasoning behind it is that only the Necrophage can heal via an AMLA, to simulate the fact that it regains health by eating enough enemies. BUT, if you want AMLA_TOUGH to heal your units too, just copy this:

Code: Select all

#this file contains macros for After Max Level Advancement (AMLA)

#Fiach Dubh's modified AMLA, for added HP and full healing
#define AMLA_TOUGH HP_ADVANCE
[advancement]
strict_amla=yes
max_times=100
id=tough_{HP_ADVANCE}
description= _ "Max HP bonus +" {HP_ADVANCE} _", MAX XP +25%"
icon="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
image="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
[effect]
apply_to=hitpoints
increase={HP_ADVANCE}
increase_total={HP_ADVANCE}
heal_full=yes
[/effect]
[effect]
apply_to=max_experience
increase=25%
[/effect]
[/advancement]
#enddef
Paste it into the file named amla.cfg (in the game's main data folder), REPLACING what is already there. Don't worry about losing AMLA_NECROHEAL, because it's no longer relevant - just edit the Necrophage so that it gets AMLA_TOUGH 3 instead, and give it {WEAPON_SPECIAL_DRAIN} on its melee attack to simulate its cannibalistic healing.

I STRONGLY suggest copying the original amla.cfg file to another directory before you do this.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
podunk

Post by podunk »

After a certain point you have ample advanced units. Throw in a few level ones to help in zone of control and cover up an important unit whose attack failed and you've got it.

Once I reach that point I go for AMLA's for my units that are somewhat tender. For instance Assassins and Slyphs save you tons of gold in Return to Wesnoth but at the default hit points have no chance at all if caught by 2 or more enemy units. Li'sar has a devastating attack - but not many hit points. If she misses on a Royal Guard it's bad trouble unless she's had a few AMLAs.

A 68 HP assassin is not only a hell raiser - it's fun to use. :-)