I was something mistaken [was:"rebalancing of Northerne

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rey

I was something mistaken [was:"rebalancing of Northerne

Post by Rey »

IMO, the northern performance during the fight are smaller to the rest of the factions. And they do not improve much during the night... :roll:
Last edited by Rey on November 24th, 2006, 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Alea Jacta Est"
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:Opinions are like facts; people have to realize that a great many of them are simply wrong.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Rey

Post by Rey »

turin wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Opinions are like facts; people have to realize that a great many of them are simply wrong.
You can be more explicit? :wink:
"Alea Jacta Est"
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Rey wrote:You can be more explicit? :wink:
A better question is, can you be more explicit? :?

Wesnoth's factions have been rather painstakingly ballanced. While ballancing is ongoing, it's going to take much more than a vauge assertion to get a whole faction overhauled. If you have specific information, you might at least get the conversation going. But be sure of your facts, and make sure you are playing the latest development version. It's possible the flaw you percieve was already fixed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

This thread actually inspired me to start a thread in Multiplayer, suggesting that if anyone thinks that they lost (or won) because a faction is over/underpowered, that they ask to play a game with the factions reversed. That usually solves the question rather simply. Well, not usually too simply, because some factions are easier to use. The faction that lost might still lose in the hands of a good player, but it won't get routed quickly.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Rev_the_Avacado

Post by Rev_the_Avacado »

I play with northeners all the time, I win around 8 of ten games I play. I find that I cannot win with loyalists, however I have been beaten black and blue by people playing loyalists..... perhaps it is just a matter of playing style... I find that northeners work well for aggressive, offensive tactics and all the core units have really great upgrade trees.
I find the northeners to be well balananced.
Quotes are word-viruses
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Northerners are not unbalanced. Remaking the entire faction is not urgent, or even mildly pressing, or even an issue at all. There may be mild issues with some factions, I will not make the claim that the game is perfectly balanced. But it's not as bad as you seem to think it is.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Urgent re-direction to the Strategies and Tips forum! :wink:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rey

Post by Rey »

Eleazar wrote:A better question is, can you be more explicit? :?
Ok. My english is not the best one, I see. :oops:
Eleazar wrote:But be sure of your facts, and make sure you are playing the latest development version. It's possible the flaw you percieve was already fixed.
The version is 1.1.12 :wink:
Glowing Fish wrote:This thread actually inspired me to start a thread in Multiplayer, suggesting that if anyone thinks that they lost (or won) because a faction is over/underpowered, that they ask to play a game with the factions reversed. That usually solves the question rather simply. Well, not usually too simply, because some factions are easier to use. The faction that lost might still lose in the hands of a good player, but it won't get routed quickly.
I am not a player very experienced but I have played approximately 10 times with Northern (are not my favorites) and only in 2 or 3 opportunities I observed certain parity -random perhaps? - with other factions. Obvious the tactics influence.
Sapient wrote:Urgent re-direction to the Strategies and Tips forum! :wink:
:wink:
"Alea Jacta Est"
Gus

Post by Gus »

@Rey
it has nothing to do with your English, plenty of us are not native-speakers.
It has more to do with: why do you ACTUALLY think Northerners need rebalancing? What were the specific facts that made you feel that way? Can you provide us with examples? Replays? Anything to narrow down the perceived problem, because "Northerners need rebalancing" is an absolutely useless statement, in that it doesn't help at all understanding why you think that way.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Behold my self-restraint.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Admirable indeed, Doc. Not one of your alter egos has manifested itself thus far.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Doc Paterson wrote:Behold my self-restraint.
*delivers chinese-style seasoned chicken adn vegetables to Doc*

I didn't ate much, so you can have it.

*fawns*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

The northerners don't need any re balancing at all, their units are perfectly fine, and rather good.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Rey

Post by Rey »

Gus wrote:It has more to do with: why do you ACTUALLY think Northerners need rebalancing? What were the specific facts that made you feel that way? Can you provide us with examples? Replays? Anything to narrow down the perceived problem, because "Northerners need rebalancing" is an absolutely useless statement, in that it doesn't help at all understanding why you think that way.
Ok, I observed that "unbalancing" in special in the trolls (IMHO): attacking or defending at night (+25 as all know) usually they lose many more HP than the damage that do -being above in favorable land: 50%/70%-. That I observed more versus elves, dwarves and undeads (even with the night favoring them :? ). Later I have played (always online) with another faction (elves or loyalist) and have more favorable results without a doubt some.

[repeat: sorry my english]
"Alea Jacta Est"