My Wesnoth 1.3 wish list

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SkeletonCrew
Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I'm going to work on the map editor for 1.3. But don't expect triggers, I think that really belongs to Campgen, which I haven't used btw. I'll post more about the editor when I've time to work on it, still busy with the terrain system.

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

commander keen wrote: I'd also like to see a matchmaking service of some sort
Hmm... we'd probably not have enough females for this. :lol:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."

kshinji

Post by kshinji »

:geek:
Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

commander keen wrote:All right, triggers are the full hog really, but some way of making a simple campaign without downloading other stuff would be good.
I don't believe much in potential Wesnoth scenario/campaign editors (I haven't tried campgen, so I don't know how good stuff that can do), simply for the reason that you can never do polished enough stuff with them. And I very much dislike the unpolished and buggy noob campaigns with crappy dialogue and boring gameplay. Having something like WML in the way hopefully prevents a small flood of really crappy "I did this campaign in an hour!" content, which is only good IMO.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

/me agrees with zookeeper
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I find CampGen useful to make prototypes of your scenarios but I agree completly that it had to be very advanced to be actually really useful for triggers (which would probably take a LOT of programming effort for very little gain) and that people who really want to spend hours and days of their freetime working on their campaign will probably not be affraid of learning a (quite simple) scripting language.

A really good WML editor on the other hand side would be neat, I am really curious about the thing appleide seems to be working on.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde

Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Quote from "Developper Forum"

Post by Dave »

viorc wrote: Still never it happens that a developper raises a hand to say: "this is a good start, let's work on that together to make it to the mainline".
Is it because the initial ideas are all bad ? Or because of the lack of leadership on the campaign writer side ?
It's not going to happen like that....Wesnoth developers each work on their own, on what they are interested in. A campaign developer would have to try to slowly 'recruit' people to help them develop the campaign, one by one, or people would see its quality and begin to contribute.

The development team is not a rigidly-defined group which acts as one. Even if I were to decide I was going to work hard on a campaign, there would be no guarantee that any other developers would choose to help.

There have been some decent campaigns, but clearly none has had the combination of quality and leadership to warrant attracting a horde of talented people to devote large amounts of time to it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

appleide

Post by appleide »

Baufo wrote:I find CampGen useful to make prototypes of your scenarios but I agree completly that it had to be very advanced to be actually really useful for triggers (which would probably take a LOT of programming effort for very little gain) and that people who really want to spend hours and days of their freetime working on their campaign will probably not be affraid of learning a (quite simple) scripting language.

A really good WML editor on the other hand side would be neat, I am really curious about the thing appleide seems to be working on.
:oops:
http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forum ... eadid=1233

You can find small pieces of the code of the WML Editor, in this editor for BASIC.

Yes, my WML editor got scrapped for parts.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.

khamul

Post by khamul »

Personally I play Wesnoth because I like defeating enemy armies with my armies, and I like single-player campaigns because I like beating increasingly difficult enemies with an increasingly seasoned (i.e. experienced) army.

I don't want to play a campaign that requires me to figure out item-combination puzzles or answer riddles. There are other games I play for that. I want to put the pain to a bunch of bad guys with a combination of tough units and my "tactical genius".

It's not that I object to campaigns that do this - a chance of pace can be fun - or that I think that all campaigns should be "defeat all enemy leaders, rinse, repeat". I just want to see more campaigns designed round the gameplay of Wesnoth, not something else tacked on top of it. Particularly the default campaigns that ship with the game.

Things I do want to see in campaigns:
  • battles where victory relies on understanding the terrrain and using it cleverly to defeat the enemy.
    battles where victory relies on exploiting special abilities of your units
    battles where victory relies on cleverly exploiting enemy weaknesses
    battles that set up a chance to assassinate the enemy leader for early victory.
    battles that require specific tactics keyed to the victory conditions to win.
    battles that involve unusual match ups of recruit lists (e.g. peasants against goblin spearmen)
    battles that require you to understand how a specific unit has to be used to win.
We should be looking to add variety to campaigns by changing the tactical challenges, not by changing the basic gameplay.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.

Elestel

Post by Elestel »

- the button for "not autosaves" near
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

You took the words right out of my mouth khamul. What more can I say :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"

Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Elvish Pillager wrote:HttT isn't that great, and where it is good it benefits from having been designed by committee, unlike just about every other extant campaign.
I think that the storyline of HTTT was designed mostly by one person. The things added by committee are great too, but they needed some great fundament to build on. In my opinion, committees are good at improving things, not at creating them. So the next great campaign will have to be designed originally by one talented person, and then refined by many others.

Also Dave had a small advantage that he did not have to fit in some existing game universe... he was creating it. The other authors are somewhat pushed into existing stereotypes... maybe it is not an accident that the second great campaign is the one which violates them.
Flametrooper wrote:creative writing is a strong point for me, and dramatic writing as well. My art skills are rather lacking, though I've created a few decent sprites for my custom faction; I can do maps for campaigns okay, and I'm in the process of learning WML.
My advice is... you need only a very oficialitou knowledge of WML; basicly to roughly know what is possible and what is not. You probably already know it. Then I would recommend to write a storyline... create main characters, create plot, write dialogs -- make only sketches of scenarios displaying dialogs like: "this and this should happen, not ready in WML yet". Then let other people help you. Maybe it would be good it you would release the campaign gradually, always just a few additional scenarios, to keep people in surprise what will be next. This could be a motivation for cooperation... release one scenario and say "i will release the next one only if someone helps me to make this WML work correctly". ;-)

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Viliam: From my experience as a campaign designer, the 'bribing' tecquniqe wouldn't really that well. In any case there is no need to do something like that. I myself have learned WML from compleate scratch and although I won't claim to be a WML wizard it is plenty enough for me to make two large campaigns. (Well technically, one and a half but anyway). The point is, WML is SIMPLE. Also, if you ever get stuck, as I did many times especially in the beggining, just post a help message up in the forum. The pros are always ready to help selflessly.

I aggree with you though about committie's being better at improving though, or at least this kind of committee. As a matter of fact this is the process that already happens with Wesnoth's campaigns - one person creates it and puts it up on the server. Then eventually the devs select it, make it mainline and once it is mainilie, they scramble all over it touching it up.

If everyone seems to be asking for a new campaign, maby it's time to start sorting thorugh the campaign server again.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'd just like to say that I don't consider HttT a particularly great campaign. It's good, but not as good as several others (TRoW, for example). I just don't understand statements like Villiam's implying that it is the "first great campaign". Would someone please explain to me why they do?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Elestel wrote:- the button for "not autosaves" near
For 1.3, the goal is that autosaves will be so speedy and untroubling that you will have no desire to disable them.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."