Citizens!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Citizens!

Post by Tomsik »

Lately I noticed that wesnoth forum lost its good spirit, people are not as helpful, making personal attacks, being arrogant, using heavy sarcasm without need and such(yes, it includes me too). :(
Perhaps it would be good to try to be nice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'll promise to try be nicer! It's hard if someone is being really dumb, but I guess I can just try to refrain from posting at all on those occasions.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I did notice some of this. Maybe it is a side-effect of the fact that the good OT topics are being deleted (but even if those topics, like the God-topic, helped making this a good community, I don't think this is really relevant). Maybe it is a side-effect of the growing community, as we can see the same things happening on multiplayer. And maybe it is because a lot of those who were regular users (I don't mean the title, but the people who came here regularly) left (sometimes it is strange not to have scott, gafgarion, miyo, or even Nicolas, around). And I lost count of many new members there are and what their names are since a while (except for poeple kike Toms or kjinshi).

I hope it will get better though. Because Wesnoth is one of the most interesting place on the Internet.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
JW

Post by JW »

2 causes:

1: nice people leaving
2: people who bait themselves or others joining and posting a lot
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I don't know how you came to this conclusion. (Ok I can't let it be myself, throw the first stone)

Anyways your appeal will be as successful as a vampire night watchman in a blood bank.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

wayfarer wrote:Anyways your appeal will be as successful as a vampire night watchman in a blood bank.
I like your optimism. :P
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

oh, I'm waiting the 1.2 for start with a round of great ideas wich can't be included in the long serial of betas...
While we are waiting, some people only see a pair of post like the one about images of amazing cats...
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I notice this too, maybe we're getting fed up with the FPI?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, there's been a fair nu,ber of people acting stupid lately, and Wesntoh forumers seem so bored they can't resist a bash. So basically, if people wise up and don't post stupidity, then other people may become nicer and won't post mean-ness. It's like a vicious circle; someone's gotta break it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IMHO it just has to do with the growth of the community... power -> decadence.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Tomsik wrote:Citizens
Shakespeare (I think) wrote:Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.
:P
Tomsik wrote:Perhaps it would be good to try to be nice?
Those who aren't nice won't take the time to read this topic.

Nice sentiment nonetheless.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:IMHO it just has to do with the growth of the community... power -> decadence.
power does not lead to decadence. The oft quoted phrase "power corrupts" is not nearly as true as the more accurate "power reveals". What someone does with power is far more revealing of their character than corrupting to it. Obviously it would be nice to be able to restrict power to those who are of good character and therefore once given power that good character will be revealed by their use (or restraint from using) that power. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, but that is a whole discussion for another day.

That said, it would be good for people on the forum to be nice. If anyone notices that someone is not being nice and think that there
is need for moderator intervention, please feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators along with a link to the relevant post or posts.
Last edited by Darth Fool on October 26th, 2006, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Slightly OT:
Darth Fool wrote: That said, it would be good for people on the forum to be nice. If anyone notices that someone is not being nice and think that their is need for moderator intervention, please feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators along with a link to the relevant post or posts.
It would be nice and easy if there was an account 'moderators' where we could send those PM's. I'm thinking that it's easier for us - the non-mods - as we don't have to look who's online and for you - the mods - as you can keep your roles a bit separate (not that I know if you want it, but it's to early in the morning to formulate another advantage for you :D) and lastly for nicety as all request for intervention have a chance of being handled regardless of who's online and there mood/time to handle it.

(I don't know if phpBB allows multiple active logins on one account, but it could be worth a shot)

/tsr
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Darth Fool wrote:power does not lead to decadence. The oft quoted phrase "power corrupts" is not nearly as true as the more accurate "power reveals". What someone does with power is far more revealing of their character than corrupting to it.
Sounds about right, yeah.

This is similar to the 'corruptible' quote I posted a bit back:
Frank Herbert, BBC interview promoting the Dune wrote:"The mistakes [of leaders] are amplified by the numbers who follow them without question. Charismatic leaders tend to build up followings, power structures and these power structures tend to be taken over by people who are corruptible. I don't think that the old saw about 'power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely' is accurate: I think power attracts the corruptible."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I split the good character mini-discussion to Off-topic.