How do I skip replays?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

How do I skip replays?

Post by Higher Game »

When I observe a multiplayer game, it starts from turn 1 and keeps going. What do I do if I want to skip this and simply see the current state of the game? I can't find this information anywhere in the guide.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: How do I skip replays?

Post by Soliton »

Higher Game wrote:When I observe a multiplayer game, it starts from turn 1 and keeps going. What do I do if I want to skip this and simply see the current state of the game? I can't find this information anywhere in the guide.
That's because it isn't possible. The best you have is the "quick replays" option in the development version.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Out of curiosity, why was that feature never put in?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Assasin wrote:Out of curiosity, why was that feature never put in?
Because no one implemented it.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

good point
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Will it ever be possible, or is this a bunch of spaghetti code that won't ever be sorted through?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Dave or Yogi would be the ones to answer that. Apparently, building a snapshot of the gamestate and sending it to the client would cause additional work for the server, and it wouldn't save much time.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

For a 20+ turn game, it would save a load of time! And, how would the saved game's data overload the server? It just seems like so little.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

oh, I remember some discussion going on about it and I couldn't find the thread, so I was just curious as to what happened with the idea.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Higher Game wrote:Will it ever be possible, or is this a bunch of spaghetti code that won't ever be sorted through?
Well, everything is possible :P .

But seriously, that was actually my first idea to do. But there is only two ways to realize such a feature:
Walk all the way through the replay but don't show it on the screen. I always like to see how far things have gone so i realized this and added an update of the screen at every side turn.

Keep snapshots of games on the server and send them to clients on demand. Everything but trivial, believe me. So since "quick replays" works reasonably fast now and was a lot easier to do, i did not tackle it. I also did some calculations about bandwidth needs for this, but it seems that shouldn't be a major concern (unless there is dozens of DotM games, that is :wink: ).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!