We are the #1

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fmunoz
Founding Artist

We are the #1

Post by fmunoz »

So we are the top game on linux or at least that what techgage says about Wesnoth.
http://techgage.com/article/top_10_free_linux_games
(maybe a we can put a link in the web page news) :-)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Hey hey. That's something.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The article doesnt' seem particularly well written (and frozen bubble at #2? what's up with that?!?), but nice to know we're on top. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:The article doesnt' seem particularly well written (and frozen bubble at #2? what's up with that?!?), but nice to know we're on top. ;)
frozen bubble is really addictive, don't mess with it :grrr:
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't deny it's addictive, but it's an arcade game, for cryin' out loud. It has no strategy, it has only semi-decent graphics, it has irritating, repetitive music... all it has going for it is that it is addictive.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

The poll questioned too few people (the games at numbers 10 and 9 got about 4 votes). It isn't very accurate.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Very nice article ! Very good news !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:I don't deny it's addictive, but it's an arcade game, for cryin' out loud. It has no strategy, it has only semi-decent graphics, it has irritating, repetitive music... all it has going for it is that it is addictive.
...so? It sounds as if you're saying that simple, addictive arcade puzzle games can't be better than less addictive but more elaborate and fancy strategy games (or whatever)? Tetris would probably still be ranked among the top #5 of most best games ever rankings, and very rightly so. Who cares what kind of a game it is, as long as it's good enough?
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

It's a TRAVESTY that scorched3d isn't in that list. It would have been my #2
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

zookeeper wrote:
turin wrote:I don't deny it's addictive, but it's an arcade game, for cryin' out loud. It has no strategy, it has only semi-decent graphics, it has irritating, repetitive music... all it has going for it is that it is addictive.
...so? It sounds as if you're saying that simple, addictive arcade puzzle games can't be better than less addictive but more elaborate and fancy strategy games (or whatever)? Tetris would probably still be ranked among the top #5 of most best games ever rankings, and very rightly so. Who cares what kind of a game it is, as long as it's good enough?
Frozen Bubble is just great! And because there is no saving function, you spend hours just to get back to the level you stopped at so you can see what's after that level. That makes it even more addictive. And graphically, it's one of the best games, too.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

borisblue wrote:It's a TRAVESTY that scorched3d isn't in that list. It would have been my #2
Really? I don't think anything about that list is much of a travesty; it doesn't matter what that list says, especially since it's a pretty lame list. If you want to know what are the best ten Linux games, happypenguin.org -> "By rating" :|

(We're on top there, too, of course. :D)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:...so? It sounds as if you're saying that simple, addictive arcade puzzle games can't be better than less addictive but more elaborate and fancy strategy games (or whatever)? Tetris would probably still be ranked among the top #5 of most best games ever rankings, and very rightly so. Who cares what kind of a game it is, as long as it's good enough?
Perhaps I misphrased that - It's an arcade game that is directly copied from a commercial arcade game. I agree Tetris would be near the top of any game list, but any of the myriad versions of tetris wouldn't be (there are at least 30 different debian packages related to tetris). Putting frozen bubble near the top of that list is, to me, like putting GNUtris or some other clone on the top of that list.

I also wouldn't put Tetris at the top of any list, but that's just because I don't consider arcade games games...
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is really a flattering thing to be ranked like this - thanks for pointing this out, Francisco. :)

He strongly believes in the "Keep it Simple, Stupid" analogy, so you can't expect deep gameplay that will drag you away from real life for hours at a time.
:roll: Gross misapplication of the concept. Wow.
Either that, or grossly indeterminate verbiage on his part.
turin wrote:I also wouldn't put Tetris at the top of any list, but that's just because I don't consider arcade games games...
I know what you're trying to say, but you may need a different term for your ideal than "games" - likely a term that doesn't exist.

A good example, though likely not what you were shooting for, is something along the lines of what Maxis did, when they titled their open-ended, non-goal/score based programs like "SimCity," and "SimEarth" as "Software Toys," instead of "Games".

It's an interesting question - in terms of goals, playing Tetris likens unto an athletic competition like shot put, or long jump. The goal is to beat the record, and the record is points (or waves passed - essentially "progress,").

And it's true that people do not refer to "Shot Put" and "Long Jump" as games. Football is a game, shot put is not.

Unfortunately, attempting to excise the titling of Tetris as a "Game" from the world lexicon is about as impossible, and gainless a task, as trying to get America to put it's pronunciation of "Karaoke" back in line with the Japanese pronunciation of the same word. Even if you did succeed, in relative terms you'd have accomplished nothing -- I'd prefer to spend my allotment of -fate- on more consequential matters.