Which version should I use?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I also have generally preferred 1.0. It's just not something that comes up very often in discussion, though. I.1.9 does look pretty good, and I'm sure I'll switch to 1.2 when that comes out. But I'll probably stick with that for quite a while, too.

Anyway, people who post on these forums should not be considered representative of Wesnoth players in general. Of the several Wesnoth players I know personally, almost all use 1.0 and none have any interest in the forums whatsoever..
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
JW

Post by JW »

xtifr wrote:Anyway, people who post on these forums should not be considered representative of Wesnoth players in general. Of the several Wesnoth players I know personally, almost all use 1.0 and none have any interest in the forums whatsoever..
It should also be noted that your batch of friends shouldn't be considered representative of Wesnoth players in general. 8)
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

JW wrote:
xtifr wrote:Anyway, people who post on these forums should not be considered representative of Wesnoth players in general. Of the several Wesnoth players I know personally, almost all use 1.0 and none have any interest in the forums whatsoever..
It should also be noted that your batch of friends shouldn't be considered representative of Wesnoth players in general. 8)
Very true, nor did I mean to suggest that they were. I wouldn't consider most of my friends to be representative of much of anything (except, perhaps, eccentrics). I doubt if any of us really have any idea what the mythical "typical Wesnoth player" is like, but I do tend to suspect that the people on this forum are not it. :shock:
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
JW

Post by JW »

xtifr wrote:I doubt if any of us really have any idea what the mythical "typical Wesnoth player" is like, but I do tend to suspect that the people on this forum are not it. :shock:
Yes, we are obviously better because we can use teh intraweb 4 posting.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

JW wrote: Yes, we are obviously better because we can use teh intraweb 4 posting.
Or worse because we spend so much time posting on teh intarweb when we could be doing something useful or productive. :twisted:

Like playing Wesnoth... ;)

Casual User

Post by Casual User »

starev91 wrote:I remember playing 9.2, that's when I got hooked I suppose that was even moreso in development then the 1.1.x line...
I got hooked on version 0.7.6 (or 0.7.8, I don't remember). It was more stable than the current development version.

I first tried Wesnoth around version 0.5.x (I really don't remember). The game clearly had potential, but it ran so slowly that I eventually uninstalled it.

P.S. You played Battle for Wesnoth version 9.2 :shock:
Starev91

Post by Starev91 »

Casual User wrote:P.S. You played Battle for Wesnoth version 9.2 :shock:
Going of memory, it was in the early 9.x series that I got hooked (or slightly earlier). Whichever version was first posted on the apple site is the one I found. I'm sure it was the 9.x series because I remember getting to the level with 3 orc leaders warring against one another in The Dark Hordes (Searching for some skull that the main character needed, and therefore that I needed to continue in the campaign) :) I didn't join the forums or play on mp much, as I thought "I wasn't very good, let the experts do their thing and I'll get better at it eventually". I'm still not very good, but I'm a bit more vocal :P

--

Either way, this isn't the place for me to discuss my life story and how wesnoth fits into it, so I'll post something creative that has some relevancy to the topic at hand:

I'd say the only wesnoth player who has any say in what the typical wesnoth player is uses the forums, and therefore the forum users are the typical wesnoth players, as they are the only ones who can define it and discuss said definition in any way other then a conversation, which won't have any bearing on the rest of the commmunity unless it is posted here, in which case it was posted by a forum user, who has the bearing to define the typical wesnoth player :)

However, I don't like steriotypes, so I'm going to go on to say that there is no typical wesnoth player.
Think numbers in a username is wierd? Think maybe I should've gone for something original? I was thinking maybe Terevet, but if someone knew me elsewhere they wouldn't recognize me then :)

Terevet is my MP name however.
Jeeneth

Post by Jeeneth »

New player here. I'm glad a read this thread. I've been having fun with the 'stable' DL but now will switch to the better balanced 1.1.9
Jeeneth
bioman

Post by bioman »

I seem to get more OOS errors on the newest version than on 1.0.2 in online multiplayer, although that could just be to do with all these DotG/DotM games. :lol: